What Comic Do You Give Someone That's Never Read One?

So let’s say someone you know wants to try reading comics but they’ve never read one. They might have seen a superhero movie or two but that’s all. What storyline or single issue do you give them to start?

I personally think Batman Year One is perfect for new and old readers but I’m no expert and I’m very interested to what ideas you guys have.

Edit: Should have been more specific. This isn’t for someone I know, it’s purely hypothetical. Inspired by a conversation I had with a coworker.

7 Likes

Well, I would say that you find the movie they liked, and give them either a trade of that storyline or a good single issue.

For Batman, I would use The Long Halloween For Superman, I would use Birthright and for Wonder Woman I would use * Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One (Rebirth)*

But let’s say they haven’t seen a DC movie or show. If they have a favorite genre, there are a whole bunch of material to choose from: For World War Two enthusiasts: Sargent Rock, for Western, Jonah Hex. For horror, Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing. For Good Omen and American Gods, highly recommend Sandman.

Take the age and sensibility of your friends in mind. Younger people may do better with the subject matter aimed at them. Older people may enjoy the Vertigo or DC Black Label versions.

4 Likes

When Palsey Walsey wants to read material from different franchises that they can jump right into, I point out:

-Aquaman: Sub-Diego from the '03-'06 ongoing, along with Underworld from the current volume
-Batman: Hush
-The Flash: The Trial of The Flash and Rogue War
-Green Arrow: his 1983 self-titled mini
-Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War
-Justice League: Rock of Ages from JLA and the first arc of the New 52 ongoing
-Justice Society: the '90s mini and the Princes of Darkness arc from JSA
-Plastic Man: his '80s mini
-Superman: For Tomorrow
-Teen Titans: A Kid’s Game
-Wildstorm Universe: The Authority and Planetary
-Wonder Woman: The Odyssey

1 Like

Any of the popular origin stories would be a fine choice for the very first comic book imo. It really depends on which characters that someone is interested in.

Want to read Batman? Check out Year One. Green Lantern? Secret Origin. etc.

2 Likes

I definitely could recommend most of the origin or “Year One” type stories for most specific characters, in the broad sense of getting someone into comics that has never read one, I find titles that don’t showcase traditional super-heroes to be most efficient. In my time of comic book store manager I had a “money back guarantee” rack and while I definitely had traditional DC and Marvel books on it, the ones that seemed to draw people in were titles like… Preacher, Sandman, Hellboy, Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, Sin City, as well as Marvels, Kingdom Come, Death of Superman, JLA: Tower of Babel.

2 Likes

Batman: Year One is, as many have mentioned, probably the default choice. If we’re talking about superhero comics, then I’d recommend Gotham Central, Superman: Secret Identity, Checkmate (if they like spy stuff), Rucka’s Batwoman, and Morrison’s JLA, or, at least, the first volume of Morrison’s JLA. Maybe I’d hold back on Rock of Ages. That all said, I probably wouldn’t give them superhero comics at all. I’d go with indie stuff that doesn’t require any knowledge of anything whatsoever (I’ve talked a bit about how I don’t think that new readers should be concerned with understanding everything when they’re trying to get into comics, but I also recognize that that’s an issue that many have and I wouldn’t want to turn them off to the medium). Something like Queen & Country or Saga or Locke & Key.

3 Likes

It’s a person by person kind of thing. Typically the people who haven’t read a comic before don’t like superheros and think that’s all comics are. So I’ll try my best to recommend non superhero stuff. Things like Sandman, Saga, Preacher or the Lumberjanes. Then I’ll introduce them into superheroes with something like Watchmen.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I’d give them Watchmen as their first superhero comic. I feel like that’s a little bit of a minefield for a couple of reasons, but I definitely agree that I wouldn’t give them superhero comics to start.

2 Likes

I gave a couple of my non-comic reading friends Sandman, and they became avid readers. Walt Simonson’s run on Thor and Brian Wood’s Northlanders got my brother into comics.

3 Likes

I usually pick that since the reason they don’t like superheros because they feel they lack depth, good writing, an complexity. Watchmen is good since it disproves all of these thoughts and is something that most people aren’t super familiar with (unlike Superman or Batman or whatever).

2 Likes
2 Likes

Man of Steel by John Byrne

4 Likes

Oh, and for a single issue, I would recommend the first issue in Denny O’Neil’s Question run​:wink:

3 Likes

You beat me to Man of Steel. I suppose I will have to go with All-Star Superman.

3 Likes

I’d have to ask what genre of books/movies they like and work from there. If someone is a huge crime genre fan then I recommend something from Brubaker and Phillips.

4 Likes

I would give them the following:
Batman: Year One
Daredevil: Born Again
Man of Steel by (John Byrne)
Watchmen
Vol 1 and Vol 2 of The Amazing Spider-Man; Epic Collection (The entire Lee and Ditko run)
Superman Annual # 11 (For The Man Who Has Everything)
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Aquaman: The Search for Mera
Avengers: The Kree/Skrull War
Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
Hey, you might as well throw a newbie into the deep end of the pool.

3 Likes

I tend to not recommend the origin stories. Mostly, this is because all of the movies and mass media pretty much tell the origin stories anyway. If you give someone who hasn’t read a comic Batman: Year One, they probably already know the story. It’s a great story, but it’s not going to hook them onto comics. Find a comic that really uses the medium to it’s fullest and shows off some great artwork, well crafted dialogue, and a unique storyline. To echo some of the titles that others have said, I’d say that Saga, Watchmen, and Gotham Central are all superb choices. I’d also throw in The Flintstones, Batman: The White Knight, Descender, Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, and Batwoman: Elegy. All of these I feel like bring something unique to the table, and show off the best parts of what makes comic books a unique medium for storytelling.

3 Likes

I totally understand what you mean and would agree on most origin stories but Batman Year One I feel does all of those things without giving us too much of the origin that’s constantly given to us. I’ve always considered that to be a Gordon story just as much, if not more than, Batman. Plus that Mazzucchelli art is gorgeous. But I do agree that you should suggest something very eye catching and blood pumping. Gotham Central is definitely a great story for someone to start with.

1 Like

It would totally depend upon the person. For some, V for Vendetta would be the way to go. For others, it might be The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Superman Annual #11.

In short, start them with Alan Moore.

2 Likes

As long as we are mentioning That Other Company, the Dark Phoenix Saga is a masterpiece which still hasn’t been properly filmed. The X-Men animated series did the best job, but…