What comic deserves more credit?

The Power Girl series. It was fun, serious on occasion, a quest to find herself and her place in the world, and didn’t shy away from embracing Power Girl’s “two biggest assets”, usually for great satirical effect.

4 Likes

Tom Taylor"s work on
Earth 2, beginning
with Issue17,

If you liked his work in
Injustice, he is better here.

Spoilers

The situation is desperate.
Superman, Wonder Woman
and Batman of this earth are
dead, along with all Amazons,
Lois Lane and Catwoman.

Helena Wayne and Power
Girl have been transported to
main Earth, in Worlds’ Finest
Title, which is also great.

They were the only heroes of
this world.

The newer heroes, young
versions of Justice Society,
Green Lantern, Flash and
Hawkgirl, are inexperienced.

The World Army is helpless.

Darksaid has a new
Superman, who might be
resurrected from the old
Superman, under his control.

The rich, who attempted to
flee the planet in a spaceship,
suffocated in space, when
this Superman attacked the
ship.

New characters take the
lead:

Thomas Wayne, with
Hourman’s powers and a gun,
is the new Batman.

Lois Lane’s mind resides in
Red Tornado.

Thomas frees three
prisoners.

Jimmy Olson is Oracle,
hacker of all the information
in the world.

The Queen of Atlantis is
Aquawoman.

There is a Krytonian who has
never seen the sun, a Zod.

In a sense, this series uses
versions of the oldest charac-
ters in the DCUniverse, and
uses them superbly.

2 Likes

Coming in June to our library is the
Spectre in Adventures Comics beginning with issue 431 from 1974

All the stories are short and done in one issues.

It is the super hero as a horror comic.

Given that the spectre is so powerful’ short stories that are complete is the best use of that character.

Plenty of spooky atmosphere as the Spectre finds the unlikeable villains and executes them in grisly ways.

Like turning them into wood
And sawing them into chips
While the villains are fully conscious.

No social work for him. Just Judge Jury and Executioner

4 Likes

I’m stoked for this!

3 Likes

I’ll second @moro that Bendis’ Superman deserves more praise! I’m re-reading his Action Comics right now and it is great!

5 Likes

I’ve mostly enjoyed Bendis on Superman. My only complaint is a minor one- not a fan of his take on General Zod. I hate when writers try to add depth to a character that shouldn’t have any. To me, it’s like they’re trying to show me why Joseph Stalin was the way he was- I couldn’t care less what his reasons were. His actions made him a monster- I feel the same way about Zod.

3 Likes

Speaking of Zod, have you read New Krypton? One of my recent reads and thought it was pretty epic. Don’t want to spoil it, but it does add depth to the character imo.

4 Likes

I don’t need to relate to a villain, but I don’t mind understanding his/her motivation. I think Zod is okay by Bendis. One dimensional villains aren’t exactly my jam.

You’re completely correct. I don’t need to understand a villain so much that I’d offer him a fist bump.

3 Likes

I liked it ok. Zod to me though…he works best like Michael Myers or Hannibal Lector or Doomsday- more of a single minded force of nature, less misunderstood Magneto style ‘hero in his own mind’. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t enjoy ‘trying to save Krypton’ Zod as much as I do ‘I will grind Krypton under my heel and rule it with an iron fist just because I can’ Zod. Brutal dictator Zod. Screaming ‘KNEEL BEFORE ZOD’ Zod.

3 Likes

Red Hood: Outlaw is very underrated, i never see anyone talking about It.

3 Likes

Night Force! I’m reading it now and it is amazing! Marv Wolfman was just discussing this comic series (as his favorite creation) on DC Daily the other day so I decided to check it out. Only the newest collection and parts of another are available here but it’s worth tracking down the original publication for context after reading the 2012 release on DCU (in my opinion, it’s the best one). Here’s the very interesting Wikipedia entry.

Links to read on DCU:
:open_book: Night Force (2012)
:open_book: Night Force (Original - missing intro)

3 Likes

I loved Identity Crisis. When Captain Boomerang killed Tim’s dad…heartbreaking. And the image of Tim being hugged by Batman…symbolically being enveloped 100% into the life. ( officially an Orohan)

3 Likes

I think a lot of fans have a problem with Jason because of a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is killing people. I don’t mind it much, but I know a lot of fans who do. His series rarely get credit when they deserve it.

3 Likes

I’ll check it out. I always kinda avoided it.

1 Like

I have two:

1. Dan Jurgens most recent run on Action Comics. He did some amazing stuff with Superman, Jon and Lois. He also bolstered Lex Luthor while he was in his blue Superman-inspired power armor. It was great seeing how the Post-Crisis Kent family acclimated to the New 52/Rebirth universe. Eventually he and the New 52 Superman were merged, and while that sounds like it would derail stories, Jurgens made the aftermath seamless. It’s a shame he had to cut his run short because Bendis was coming onto the book, but for the run that he did have, Jurgens made the most of it.

2. Superman: Secret Identity. Quite possibly one of my favorite Elseworlds stories of all time. Imagine you’re a kid named Clark Kent living in our world. You like Superman but everyone keeps giving you playful grief about it as you grow up. Now imagine you wake up one day and you have the powers of Superman. This is a very touching and human story by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen. It came out around the same time as Red Son, and unfortunately, Red Son got the spotlight.

5 Likes

Superman: Grounded, anyone? Came right after all the craziness of New Krypton, with Superman making a road trip on foot across the country, trying to find his place again among humanity. Thought it was rather potent, with great art to boot.

2 Likes

Sounds good @Kon-El! I’m curious to hear your thoughts if you end up reading it.

1 Like

Just seven issues? That shouldn’t take long.

1 Like

The more I read his stuff— the more I think pretty much everything by Ostrander was underrated.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree lol

If I was sitting around a campfire that was getting low, and I had a copy of Superman: Grounded and had to choose between letting the foregoing out or torching my copy, I wouldn’t struggle with that decision at all.

1 Like