what comic book is better Batman The Killing Joke or Batman a death in the family

Both comics have severe tragedies but which one is better

1 Like

In my opinion, The Killing Joke is better. A Death in the Family was just a standard 80ā€™s Batman story where Robin happened to die. The Killing Joke is an exploration of the minds of Batman and the Joker and the relationship between them. A Death in the Family is good, but The Killing Joke is on a different level.

1 Like

A Death in The Family for me. Why? Because of Jim Aparoā€™s art.

1 Like

I actually still havenā€™t read The Killing Jokeā€¦ but it would have to be pretty bad to be worse than A Death in the Family, and Alan Moore is a good writer. I donā€™t like his writing, but I wonā€™t argue that itā€™s not good.

1 Like

The Killing Joke, without a doubt. Really, outside of the stuff with Bruce and Jason and the immediate aftermath of Jasonā€™s death, the story of Death in the Family isā€¦kind of bad, like trying way too hard to be modern and edgy. With The Killing Joke, while the way they use Barbara as collateral damage is pretty awful, itā€™s still a strong, thoughtful exploration of the characters of Batman and Joker.

1 Like

As for which is better as a tragedy. Death in the family. Babs didnā€™t die, and Jason did.
Killing Joke is the better and more emotionally compelling story.

1 Like

Killing Joke has better art plot ideas and jokes.

1 Like

The Death in the Family is a more ā€œexplosiveā€ and entertaining read, but in terms of writing quality and art, The Killing Joke is superior.

2 Likes

I agree with @MajorZuma. I was more entertained by a Death in the Family, but I felt the writing in The Killing Joke was of a higher quality.

2 Likes

To be fair the Readers killed Jason Todd

Gotta go with Joke, but Death may have aged better

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a big fan of either. Killing Joke isā€¦ problematic. Women in refrigerators, you know. A Death in the Family is probably better, but I donā€™t really like it either. They both furthered the horrible ā€œrealistic serial killer/sociopathā€ Joker characterization that I hate.

1 Like

Killing joke is just more well written imo so that gets my vote I like both stories though

The Killing Joke.

Brian Bolland killing it on art. One of Jim Gordonā€™s best moments.

And the insight: All it takes is one bad day.

1 Like

Yes, I decided that the above comment just wasnā€™t enough. Yes, Iā€™m going to babble. Itā€™s 2AM. Thatā€™s what people do at 2AM.

The Killing Joke works not because itā€™s only a tragedy, but because itā€™s also a story of hope.

Have you ever had a friend who would tell jokes that you just donā€™t get? That nobody gets? Imagine that kind of person in the guise of The Joker. Heā€™s constantly doing stuff to get people to laugh. Yes, his sense of humor is sociopathic, but itā€™s there - he wants/needs an audience, but he also REALLY wants someone to get the joke.

Thatā€™s why he does everything he does in TKJ. Brutalizing Babs is just a means to an end - he wants SOMEone to ā€˜getā€™ him, so he picks Jim Gordon and tries to drive him over the edge, pushing him beyond what he thinks a normal mind could take. And yet Jim doesnā€™t break. Iā€™ve said it before, and Iā€™ll say it again: TKJ is a Joker/Gordon story. Batman is just there for the punchline.

This story is Jokerā€™s cry for help; heā€™s desperate to make an honest connection with someone - basically nudging Jim Gordon in the ribs and saying ā€˜Do you get it?ā€™

As such, itā€™s probably the most human weā€™ve ever seen The Joker.

1 Like