What Are Your Top 10 Favorite DC Comics Series/Miniseries?

Those are amazing picks!!! I’ll have to check out Luna Park and Beware the Creeper!

5 Likes

Gotham Central :+1: Great pick!!! Completely agree.

4 Likes

Great topic question. Almost impossible to answer with 56 years of DC Comics reading under my belt. But, I’ll give it a go:

1. Batman: Year One
  2. Man of Steel (John Byrne)
  3. Watchmen
  4. Green Lantern/Green Arrow: Hard Travelin’ Heroes
  5. The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
  6. Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
  7. Jack Kirby: The Fourth World
  8. Crisis on Infinite Earths
  9. Kingdom Come
  10. Aquaman: The Search for Mera
8 Likes

This is one that has the stories that belong on a top ten list of DC in general. Injustice and the like are fine but they aren’t defining stories

4 Likes

I can only do Minis. I need a lot more brain power to think about full series runs. These are all 5 out of 5 for me for different reasons.

Batman: Black and White
The Dark Knight Returns
Superman: Birthright
Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
DC New Frontier
Batman: the Long Halloween/Dark Victory
Superman: Up in the sky
All Star Superman
Batman versus Predator
Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity

6 Likes

A very hard choice! This is not in any order except for the first three, which are all clustered at the top:

Batgirl: Stephanie Brown
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Black Mirror
Deathstroke by Priest
Birds of Prey by Simone
Wonder Woman by Rucka (first run)
Batman: Knightmares
Batgirl Year One
Superman: Up in the Sky
Detective Comics by Tynion

(Part my criteria for picking these is that they have to deeply move me, and have to fundamentally shape the way I think and feel about a character)

6 Likes

Detective Comics by Tynion (fav Rebirth)
Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters (and Grell series that followed)
The Question by O’Neil
The Saga of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
Sandman by Gaiman
LoSH by Levitz and Giffen (and Giffen alone)
Outsiders (80’s run)
Superman For All Seasons
Doom Patrol by Morrison

8 Likes

5 Likes

The New Teen Titans

DC Comics Presents

Wonder Twins

Naomi

Young Justice

Green Lantern

Justice League

The Super Friends

Legion of Super Heroes

The Brave & The Bold

5 Likes

I am really glad this is here.

5 Likes

from which years? They’re all amazing!

4 Likes
  1. The Batman Adventures/Batman & Robin Adventures
  2. Superman Adventures
  3. Batman: Gotham Adventures
  4. Detective Comics
  5. Action Comics
  6. Adventures In DC Universe
  7. Star & S.T.R.I.P.E
  8. Teen Titans Go!
  9. Earth One Series (of any heroes)
  10. Scooby-Doo Team-up

And there you have it. :grinning:

6 Likes

@TheCosmicMoth I have to say, I love Naomi. I have the TPB of season 1, and really enjoying season 2. I hope that DC gives her a spotlight, she is such an interesting character.

5 Likes

@Jurisdiction I started reading comics in the late 70s because of The Super Friends cartoon, so that’s when I found the comic of the same name. That run ended in 1981, and that’s when I started with JL, LoSH & Green Lantern. Young Justice, the run that I read was when the line up included Cassie, Secret, Empress, and the attack on Zandia storyline. While it’s not a fave of others, I liked the reboot as well from 2019 on the Wonder label. I would love to see DC do more with Jinny Hex, I thought she was interesting.

5 Likes

Awesome picks! I loved those runs!

3 Likes

I’m curious how your list has changed, almost two years later.

4 Likes
  1. Fables - 8.75 ★

I absolutely adored the modern take on fairy-tale characters. The relationships, rivalries, conflicts, and emotion in Fables is priceless. The villains were great, and the plot flowed perfectly.

1. Impulse - 8.9 ★

I loved this. Bart has been and always will be my favorite speedster. His humor is almost identical to mine and seeing him mature was so much fun. I loved the emotional scenes between Bart and Max, and Bart and Carol. This would’ve been a lot higher if it wasn’t for Bart’s mom, and the fact that Preston and Rolly took up way too much space in the comics for side characters. I also didn’t love the ending.

1. Hourman (1999) - 9 ★

Matthew Tyler has become my favorite Hourman. I loved how OP he was in this series. The humor, emotion, and realism of finding yourself made me fall in love with this series. I would’ve put it higher, but the ending wasn’t good IMO.

1. Sideways - 9.3 ★

It was a very fun, lighthearted series that I binge-read in like 2 days. I loved the humor, emotion, and relatability in it.

1. Just Imagine - 9.5 ★

Ok, ok. I know this is a storyline, technically, but it’s too good to ignore! Stan Lee’s only DC storyline is extraordinary. It brings back a feeling of inspiration and hope that superheroes were created to spread. We got to see actual civilians’ reactions, including a cop and random people on the streets. We saw new versions of some of DC’s most iconic characters. Basically, it’s a masterpiece in itself.

1. Hitman - 9.7 ★

Tommy Monaghan, a hitman in Gotham City, is put into several life-threatening situations on a regular basis. He has to kill several different entities - like demons, aliens, and superhumans - either to receive money to make a living or to save himself and his friends.

The Hitman series is remarkable and deserves at least 9 out of 10 stars. The characters, cameos and action throughout the series keeps the reader excited and wanting more. Tommy’s trials and tribulations with his enemies, the community and his wingman, Natt the Hat are both comedic and suspenseful. Additionally, the story is well-written and illustrated perfectly. Therefore, I think the Hitman series is one of the best comics in the DC universe.

1. Aquaman/The Flash - Voidsong - 9.8 ★

The dynamic between the two heroes is amazing. I love the art and the story, and I’ve reread it a bunch (which is something I only really do with series I love).

1. Superman Smashes the Klan - 10 ★

Superman Smashes the Klan is a series based off of one of the plots in the 1940s radio show, The Adventures of Superman, in which a racist group, The Klan of the Fiery Cross, tries to make America “100% American.” In their eyes, immigrants and their descendants arenʼt truly American. The klanʼs violent and unethical actions quickly capture Supermanʼs attention. It quickly becomes clear that it’s up to Superman and his newfound friends to put an end to the evil group.
The storyline and art in Superman Smashes the Klan is out of this world. It also introduces several new characters that improve the story significantly. However, none of that is what truly makes the series so amazing. Superman Smashes the Klan addresses real, important problems that are going on right now. They talk about racial injustice, exclusion, and discrimination. All of these hate crimes are still being committed today, and this story shows just how awful and unfair it is to judge people by their looks, beliefs and ethnicity. Between the importance of the story and the excellent writing and art, Superman Smashes the Klan easily takes the spot as the best DC comic series that Iʼve ever read and might even be the best DC comic series to ever be made.

1. Superman: Secret Identity - 15 ★

I literally just upped the rating system because it’s impossible to rate this series out of 10. It is without a doubt one of the most important comic series to ever exist imo.

1. Joker: Killer Smile - 100 ★

Everything about this story is perfect. I can’t even put into words how I feel about it. The sheer brilliance of it is completely evident in every panel.

3 Likes