What are your hopes for The Batman?

We have a director, and now we (mostly) have a star, so what do YOU hope to see in Matt Reeves and Robert Patinson’s The Batman?

(And no, you can’t use things like “I hope WB realizes they were stupid and fire Pattinson/bring back Afflek!” I want this to be a POSITIVE thread, not a thread for tearing other people down)

Personally, my hope is for a period piece Batman film. Maybe something set in the 40s, with Pattinson as a Golden Age Batman, right down to the purple gloves and longer ears. Villain would be The Riddler (but that’s because he’s my favorite).

4 Likes

Would love to see some of the Bat Brats get some love on the Hollywood stage.

3 Likes

I just this realized this means a new Batmobile begins to vibrate

4 Likes

sees biff_pow vibrating and steps away from the nightstand You have fun with that bud, mmmkay =)

As for the topic, certainly “a good movie” is my first hope. Getting past the brass tacks, I’m eager to see a new Batman in action. The idea of multiple villains in interesting, so I’m curious how that will play out.

Oh yeah, the toys. I can’t wait for Ninja Batman or Sonar Scuba Attack Batman action figures bearing Pattinson’s likeness. No, I’m not kidding.

5 Likes

Tropical Bongo Blaster Batman! I love the dorky toys!

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see what tech they introduce, definitely! It’s so interesting to see the older tools of the trade being blended with advancing technology. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope they have Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman come back like they did in the 60’s. That would be kind of cool.
I hope Batman looks really good, they don’t try to do too much with the voice, and that he matches Batman from JL.
I can’t wait for the movie, need me some Batman.

2 Likes

Matt Reeves has said he would like to bring more of the detective in Batman to the silver screen, so I am hoping for a gritty, procedural, noir detective mystery with all the gothic and surreal flair of Gotham. Reeves has done horror and creature work to amazing effect, so I hope it is somewhat terrifying and involves some of the more monstrous villains. I want something more intimate that isn’t necessarily city/world saving. Since they are going younger, I like the idea of a Batman who has some years in the field, but still has a lot to learn. I would love to see Bat Brats, but doubt we will get it. I would like something a little strange and risk-taking that isn’t trying to be a paint by numbers imitation of MCU comic book movies. Most of all, I want something that doesn’t feel rushed in its pacing. Considering the masterful pacing of Reeves’ POTA movies, I think we have a real chance of this. I don’t want fast-cutting CG heavy action. I would love it if they pulled back and let the action be more of a performance, more John Wick style presentation with the stealth theatrics of the Bat. I want a substantial Bruce Wayne B plot, where we see a challenge that only Bruce can solve as Bruce. I don’t want an origin. It would be cool if we got into some of the more psychedelic aspects of Bruce Wayne. For instance, this is never gonna happen, but it would be cool if we saw a Morrisonesque version of my namesake. But anything that deals with the more whacky psychology of Bruce would be fun.

1 Like

@Bozea Given his previous work, couldn’t you just see Reeves being a kid in a candy store if Man-Bat and Clayface were in his movie?

Andy Serkis could play Clayface and Man-Bat! To be honest, I’d want Man-Bat to be a mix: actor in make-up, animatronics and CGI where need be.

Just thinking about the cinematic potential of these two adversaries is fun. To quote Blade in Blade II: “Ooh, so exciting!”

2 Likes

Im curious if he will announce what specific Batman comics he is taking influence from.

1 Like

More of the gcpd I like seeing commissioner gordon but there I would like to see Harvey Bullock and renee Montoya since Montoya will be in birds of prey I hope for a cameo by Rosie Perez and if they cast bullock it should me Michael Madsen or Rooker

Alfred there are so many choices to cast so I 'll agree with the majority and one of them being Timothy Dalton,Hugh Laurie, and since Matt Reeves is directing Andy Serkis :grin:

1 Like

Andy Serkis as a CGI Villain. It would be perfect.

Clayface? Man-Bat?

3 Likes

@ivy112403
Hugh Laurie for Alfred could be an awesome casting. Robert Llewellyn also springs to mind.

I hope they pull/get influence from “The Batman” animated series character designs. The character designs were great and a great cast of rouges to pull from. That “Batman Year Three” concept, where he is still honing his skills, especially as a detective, would make for an interesting take on a Batman movie. Make Bats a tad more vulnerable and not picture perfect in everything yet. Give a chance for him to grow in his character arc. Making it a much more positive character arc. Also, if it does well, you have a foundation for Batman films going forward, since you are starting in “Year Three”.

2 Likes

Clayface and only Clayface for Mr. Serkis.

A character that can literally change who they are seems to be a shoe-in for a purported mystery tale.

3 Likes

I really want his intelligence to be showcased. That is a priority for me

5 Likes

I’d really like a detective story. And (personally i know some people hate it) I’d love to see the purple gloves on the batsuit since this is batman’s early career!

2 Likes

@Vroom Yes. I could see that.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see the new costume, @cell0801! It’d be so cool to see some of the original design given a nod in this version. I suppose we’ll have to wait and see! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Movie needs to be an old fashion whodunit type of film to show off Batman is detective skills

4 Likes

I’m hoping they get the aesthetic of Gotham City and Batman right. Gotham and the bat cave should be gothic. I want to see some gargoyles and stuff. I think it’ll better fit the detective angle that their going for if the set up Gotham City as kind of a noir-esque place. I mean, I’d also be fine if they went full on sleek batcave with advanced tachnology coming out of your ears, but I think the gothic sense could be more interesting from a world-building perspective. You know, the show Gotham gets a pretty cool aesthetic for the city that I also like, so I wouldn;t mind something like that.

4 Likes