What Are You Currently Reading?

Hawkman from February 1987

4 Likes

Silks worst nightmare comes to life

2 Likes

The newest Finlay Donovan book.

1 Like

I"m reading Swamp Thing and Hellblazer in tandem circa 1988. There’s a crossover occurring that is captivating. Constantine has a demon’s blood flowing through his veins to heal from jumping off of a train. Swamp Thing then unwittingly and without permission takes over Constantine’s body so he can make a baby with Abby. No telling what affect that demon’s blood will have on Swamp Thing’s offspring. There’s some strange goings on in these books.

5 Likes

The magical corner of DC is so great

4 Likes

I agree. I really like it when the Phantom Stranger or Etrigan pops up.

5 Likes

“What am I currently reading?” Unfortunately not much these days.
Still on my pull list: World’s Finest, Green Lantern, Action Comics and Superman.
On the bubble: Batman, Flash, Green Arrow.
Detective Comics? OUT! Haven’t read that boring book since last winter.
New to my list–independents: Geiger, Redcoat, Rook Exodus, Dick Tracy, Flash Gordon, and the forthcoming Jonny Quest book.
Also, I have been diving into Marvel and DC Westerns, and war books. What Stan, Roy, Friedrich, Fleisher, Kubert, Kanigher, and Heath did on War and Westerns puts most current comics to shame. They told interesting stories about heroic men and women stuck in a time and place they did not wish to be in. But they still persevered and triumphed. Frankly, I am not getting that vibe from most current comics from the “big two”.
I suspect my list will grow smaller and smaller with DC and Marvel until they lay down some serious coin and hire some serious writers who understand the meaning of heroic fiction.

2 Likes

I’m so far behind in my reading. Still, I try to take time for something every once in a while.

Yesterday I sat down and read a couple of really good books:

The Bat-Man: The First Knight and Rogue Trooper: Blighty Valley

1 Like

Read some of Ostrander’s Hawkworld.
Solid art from Graham Nolan

I have been surprised by how much more overt this series is about its politics then Ostrander’s Suicide Squad. Very insightful discussions.

2 Likes

Great series!

EDIT: I was talking about Tim Truman’s Hawkworld. I haven’t read Ostrander’s. Is it any good?

1 Like

It is a good follow up that is an attempt to take Truman’s more unconventional version of Hawkman and combine it with the more recognizable version of the character.

This results in some very messy continuity (especially during Loebs’ run), but most of this series is about Katar and Shayera learning earth customs through the planet’s political history, so it is easy to look past.

It is pretty heavy for a Hawkman series, but has a lot of interesting discussions about law and justice. Reminds me of Ostrander’s reinvention of Firestorm.

1 Like

I’ll have to check it out! Thanks

2 Likes

Read the first Robin mini

The character of Clyde Rawlins made me think of Punisher, especially since the plot is about stopping a major drug lord. Not sure if Dixon was a Punisher writer at this point.

3 Likes