What Are You Currently Reading?

Welcome back as well, great cover choice. That’s at the top of my too read pile, and the only reason I keep putting it off is that people I trust keep telling me that I really need to read the entirety of the Bendis run to (a) appreciate this in context and contrast and (b) understand this arc in total.

I think the problem is that TW has become a slur in the same way that WOKE is tossed around, and some other phrases. The concept behind TW is not inappropriate and it’s been done for decades, it’s nothing new. When DC was releasing their Archive volumes and put in the disclaimers about the depictions of race and other issues in those late 1930s, 1940s stories, not only was it fully appropriate but, when taken with the introductions on some of those collections, were actually great contextually. It’s the same reason why Warner, Disney and other studios put those things both in front of releases and on DVD and Bluray collections of their earlier releases from circa that time frame as well.

~

I’m on my second TPB of the three volumes of Young Justice and still remained annoyed at the needless use of OCs and excessive ‘TELLING’ and ‘NOT SHOWING’ of the run, but I did interrupt that two read the Midnighter/Apollo story, Anniversary and the Love’s Lightning Heart by Morrison and others in the new DC Pride collection, and I’ll likely get to more of the stories when I am not swamped with other things and RL.

4 Likes

DC Prude 2023

Great stories. I really like a lot if of the different art styles that n this one great stuff. My favorite story in this one tied between HQPI Crush and Apollo Midnighter one. But a lot of cool team ups and a nice tribute at the end. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Tangent–

What’s the most comics you’ve read in 24 hours? I don’t remember how many issues The Long Halloween was… But I finished that in one night. I’m guessing some of us have pretty epic stats.

4 Likes

Long Halloween is 13.

In one day I read around 50. I started trying some stuff I did not like then I did a Bew 52 binge centered around Stargirl.

3 Likes

My updated Wall of Justice…

16 Likes

Wow this is impressive…

6 Likes

Very impressive, especially the top two rows.

This is a perfect example of what I always mean (since I mention this about once every month or two around this site when talking about collected editions) about what was lost with the decimation of the book collection department (as well as the comparable other in-house staff, like DC Direct) staff that began even before the merger with AT&T but which was accelerated once that was announced, and once it was consummated after that long lawsuit. Yes, I understand that you are paying someone for their experience and with longevity comes a higher salary, but you are also shooting yourself, as a corporation, in the foot getting rid of some of those people, when there’s a marketplace for the small - let’s call it attention to detail - that that experience brings and the extent to which it impacts the bottom line. DC’s catalog sales was a consistent half a billion plus impact on DC Entertainment’s bottom line. Is it that today: not really, no.

I especially liked the parts where Hank kept telling Ray to keep his pants on because nudity was inappropriate, and also the point in the other story where Alan Scott was forced to use his lantern ring to keep Apollo from making out with Midnighter in front of all those children because Midnighter insisted on fondling and groping Apollo below the waist.

3 Likes

nice :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I hope it’s okay to post a technically “non-comic” here. But I’m getting a kick out of this DK reference book on essential DC Hero facts and info. Published in 2018, it’s still fairly up-to-date. I have a good time looking at fun facts and trivia! :smiley: :00_teen_titans: :00_robin: :batparrot: :00_wonder_woman_stars: :00_aquaman_rebirth: :superman:

7 Likes

Oh, yeah. That’s the stuff.

I can feel the dopamine rush just looking at it. The stress must melt off you whenever you walk into that room.

Now you can fill up the top shelf with action figures. :grin:

I love the DK reference books. This one looks like great. Just looking at it makes me want to crack one open and start reading.

So that’s why we aren’t getting the omnibuses like Marvel puts out.

:broken_heart:

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I thought about doing that, but it would only be temporary as my collection grows.

3 Likes

You’re reading it; it’s essentially DC related - in fact, it’s a licensed product. There are other types of similar books which I think are interesting and we also have stuff like the readers for kids and the Capstone (Scholastic) books for kids, etc. Which are different than the Johnny DC or Zoom/Ink or even the current line of YA books, or the ALL AGES (typically animated tie-in books).

4 Likes

It looks amazing!

10 Likes

Thank you!!!

4 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

I started Batman New 52 by Scott Snyder. Saw a recommended reading order online for this particular series that includes other comics.

8 Likes

welcome

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, friendo! Please let us @moderators know if you ever need any assistance at all :slight_smile:

5 Likes