What Are You Currently Reading?

Just read Mother Panic Gotham A.D., my favourite of the post Milk Wars Young Animal series, and I’m working on the Kyle Rayner/Oliver Queen crossover that ran through the late issues of Green Lantern (1990) and early issues of Green Arrow (2001).

3 Likes

Finished YJ Wonder Comics and it was a fun run. Just felt short. The new characters were great and would have like more time with them. After the big start labs and reboot story which was nice and lead to a cool WC crossover it felt like a lot of rushed stories they wanted to do. Like Barts could have been more with his time displacement and Cass with Zeus felt rushed. Jinny got some in her multiverse story but was short. And Teen Lantern was picking up in the finale. Also the story of finding red tornado again was quick. Ultimately a nice fun run with amazing art but rushed near the end.

Finished Hawkman Rebirth era and it was amazing. I’ve thought Hawkman was a cool character but this run made him a favorite. A great story that not only cleaned up his mess of passed lives but also added new ones. And then bringing Shera into the mix and cleaning her up was great. Like the journal aspect of it especially at the end. Just a very great run with amazing art as well.

Also read Punchline. Fun one shot like that looked into jokers head and the good old villain won before they started thing. Just made the end more dramatic with the cheer because she knew she won.

2 Likes

I’ve got the final issue of Jack Kirby’s Mister Miracle to read. Overall I preferred New Gods but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it MM. The way Kirby creates world’s is astonishing. Now to Forever Peoplez, I hope enjoy it as much as I have the other Fourth World comics.

4 Likes

I’m on volume 5 of Green Arrow Rebirth. Great writing from Percy as usual, though the art in the first story is a bit inconsistent and makes me think the artist has never actually been on a motorcycle (mostly due to Ollie riding with an open jacket- there are several reasons most riders don’t do that, but basically it’s like having an open sail hanging from your shoulders). The motorcycle also changes from a Honda Nighthawk or similar at the start to a Harley Softail type midway through the story. All is forgiven in the next story though. I’ve rarely seen Diana drawn so muscular, and swole Wonder Woman is the best Wonder Woman if you ask me.

4 Likes

Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point #1

4 Likes

Finished reading the 80s Suicide Squad, read the Legends and Zero Hour mini series, and I am now reading The Titans from the 90s. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

2 Likes

Just finished Flash #770! What an appropriate comic to read on Memorial Day. Flash gets to punch Hitler in the face and Wally West time travels out of WWII and winds up…Nope I won’t spoil the last page of this incredible comic book! “If you only read one comic this month–”

4 Likes

Read Anti/Hero[spoiler]

I bought this unaware that it had any Batman connections, so I was surprised to see its set in ‘East Gotham’ a suburb out of town.

The protagonists of Hummingbird and Grey Owl was a fascinating approach with one a reckless hero who causes more harm than good and the other a villain against her will in order to support her ailing mother.

Tossing in a body switch plot with the extrovert Hummingbird with her super strength powers and the introvert Grey Owl with her super intelligence abilities Which are tied to their physical bodies made for a fascinating story method to make these two interact and learn to relate to one another and rely on eachother.

And establishing Grey Owl was an outright Batman fangirl amused me a bit. I doubt it would happen but id love to see a sequel to this or for the duo to pop up in the canon comics. It was quite a treat.

[/spoiler]

3 Likes

I think this would be the topic to post in …

Could someone point me in the right direction to read the Metal and Death Metal series?
So I had taken a break for comics for a couple years as i was focusing on moving to college and focusing more on my classes. I’ve kept up with some comic news and would like to catch up in DC events.

I last read Scott Snyder’s Batman New 52 run and missed out on the Rebirth. However I have heard good things about the Metal series and its continuation. However, “googling” reading lists often shows me different lists depending on sources.

Lastly, I’m thinking about picking up the physical volume collection books for the series. So could someone at least point me in the right direction to do so? Where do I start? Where can I get the physical volume books?

Thank you so much in advance! :pleading_face:

3 Likes

DC Infinite Universe has all of Metal here
https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/collections/story-dark-nights-metal

No list like this for Death Metal yet though. I think because its not fully collected on here yet

4 Likes

THANK YOU ! :pray:t3:

3 Likes

Superman: Peace on Earth

3 Likes

Just read The Kitchen and Basket full of heads. Both fun reads. Been trying to read short series with a wrapped up story lately.

4 Likes

Batman: Year One

4 Likes

Currently reading Tom King’s Mister Miracle just finished issue 6 and I’m almost afraid to admit it due to the amount of love it gets, but I’m not really enjoying it so far. The artwork is amazing but I don’t really connect to King’s angle on the story and some of the characters, what’s going on with Orion?!

I also feel like his King’s style overwhelms the narrative to the point where at points it feels like like style over substance for me.

I hope I enjoy the next half of the run more than the previous half, maybe I’ve spoiled myself reading too much Kirby!

3 Likes

It’s not for everyone, but I do think certain things click in the later issues so unless you absolutely hate it so far I’d stick around.

4 Likes

Currently reading Greg Rucka’s run on Wonder Woman. Then I’m hopping over to Gail Simon’s. Or at least that’s the plan. We will see. Perez’s run is gonna take far more time so that’ll be a lot later. Would any suggest reading Phil Jimenez’s run? The art from the covers look spectacular and some of the descriptions seem like cool stories but I never see anyone mention him when talking about Wonder Woman runs.
Maybe after I dive further into Wonder Woman I’ll head over to Aquaman which I’ve been looking at since the movie. Then I’ll probably finally read Stargirl. I’ve been putting it off from fear of it not living up to the show which I love. Hopefully CW doesn’t ruin it for me like all their other shows.

3 Likes

Honestly, Jiminez’s run was my favorite of all the runs in the post crisis period. So yeah, id recommend it.
Though id also suggest giving the William Messner Loeb run at least a look as it does some curious things even if the art leaves some to be desired.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m almost finished Rucka’s run and it’s really good so far. My only thing right now is it’s a little weird to see Wonder Woman talk to animals. I mean it’s cool cuz I love Disney and it kinda makes her feel like a Disney princess in a way but that’s also what makes it weird because she’s a superhero and this isn’t Disney but all in all I really like it. Eyes of Gorgon starts next issue and I’m excited cuz I love Wonder Woman Bloodlines and this feels like that.

4 Likes

Thats been one of her abilities since waaaay back in the golden age. Though they swapped out the ‘sat in a classroom learning each animal language one at a time’ with ‘god given abilities’
Surprisingly doesn’t come up very often, though its as much a part of her ‘kit’ as Superman with his ice breath.

4 Likes