What are some recommendations for the best story arcs/creator runs of the past 20 years? What are some you didnt like?

I was wondering what do people think are the best stories or author runs in the past 20 years? Could be anything from the big events to the more grounded stories.

Do people like the big events such as Rebirth, New 52, Blackest Night,The Crisis stories, Flashpoint, etc?

What would you recommend to read?

2 Likes

Okay soooooooo I know this is only half answer ive not read it in fact I just found out it exists a series called scooby apocalypse
I know what your thinking scooby doo really but this looks kind of fun it may not be the greatest thing idk I havnt read it but it seems fun sounds interesting enough and imma give it a go personally
Apparently the final issue just released days ago and has been running since 2016 it is under the DC name as well and from what I’ve been told fits under the horror genre

2 Likes

OK, just under the wire on the “last 20 years” thing, but the 1999 Titans series is really good, or at least the first half of it is.

Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern run and 52 are probably the best that come to mind, though. Actually, since I brought up 52, and since the title asked about stories that are not-so-good, the entire Infinite Crisis sequence of stories is kind of a mixed bag with great high points and awful low points:

The Countdown to Infinite Crisis oneshot is one I’ve not had the chance to read, but I’m very annoyed by some of the plot points from it.
The OMAC Project is taking the bad parts of Countdown to Infinite Crisis and harping on them for six issues, while adding a couple questionable plot points of its own.
Day of Vengeance is excellent. Really fun read. It plays a little fast and loose with established canon at points, but it’s a good story.
Rann/Thanagar War is unimaginably boring.
Villains United is really fun. It led into Secret Six, which I haven’t read much of, but have heard strong recommendations.
Infinite Crisis itself… Eh. People like it. I think it’s needlessly gory and miserable. It definitely doesn’t make much sense if you haven’t read Crisis on Infinite Earths.
52 is an absolute masterpiece.

That whole sequence of stories was a major turning point in the DCU. Generally I prefer pre-Infinite Crisis to what came after, but it wasn’t across-the-board bad in terms of its long-term effects.

2 Likes

With a few exceptions, I’m not really into the “event” books. But here are some of my favorite completed DC runs and stories from this century… in alphabetical order.

52 (2006)
Animal Man (2011)
Blue Beetle (2006) #1-25
Checkmate (2006)
DC: The New Frontier (2004)
Gotham Central (2002)
Huntress: Year One (2008)
Injustice (2013)
Jonah Hex (2006)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (2016)
Manhunter (2004)
New Super-Man (2016)
Outsiders (2003) #1-33
Penguin: Pain & Prejudice (2011)
Red Hood: The Lost Days (2010)
Superman/Batman (2003) #1-26
Vixen: Return of the Lion (2008)
Wonder Woman (1987) #195-226; Wonder Woman (2016) #1-25

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations. Im gonna try to add them to my list and then see which are available on the service.

1 Like

I would vehemently add Batwoman:

52 (2006-2007)
Batwoman: Elegy/Go (Detective Comics #854 - #860) (2009-2010)
Batwoman:Hydrology (Batwoman #0 - #5) (2011)

1 Like

Injustice. I will never not rave about Injustice.

1 Like

You can never go wrong with James Robinson’s Starman. He told an amazing story over eighty-plus issues that deal with family, legacy and even manages to be reverent of DC history. It’s an amazing run and very important to me as it was one of the inspirations for me wanting to get serious about writing.

2 Likes

Starman started in 1994, I’m afraid… outside of the requested time window.

1 Like

I dont mind if its a little earlier. I will definitely add Starman and Batwoman(which Ive heard good things about)to my list. I gotta be honest Im not that familiar with Starman so itll be completely new territory for me.

I am familiar with the Injustice series and games. Though Im not caught up I have read up to year 2 and they are pretty wild and so good.

2 Likes

Awesome, I hope you enjoy Batwoman. The story is great, she’s a bad-ass character, plus the art is out of this world gorgeous. I think I may have given the issues slightly off, I think her run in Detective went on for a few more issues. But they’re all here.

1 Like

Gail Simone’s Secret Six run in Villains United, Secret Six (2006), and Secret Six main series (all on DCU now).

Grant Morrison’s Batman

Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern

Geoff Johns’ Flash

Mark Waid’s Flash (not sure if the tail end of this run makes the 20 yr cutoff)

Rucka’s two runs on Wonder Woman

I’ve always been partial to Joe Kelly’s work on Superman. That run never seems to get the recognition it deserves.

2 Likes

Oh, and Brian Q Miller’s Batgirl. That’s a very fun series.

1 Like

Sorry, just thought of another favorite: Charles Soule’s Swamp Thing.

2 Likes

As Dan says, Steph’s run as Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller is really great: https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/batgirl-2009-1/521e17a4-72b6-48da-8c57-d13ab63061de

Gail Simone’s first run on Birds of Prey is a masterpiece: https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/birds-of-prey-59/85435151-cfbd-4fed-ba0b-530bf607b7ed

While I love his second run, Greg Rucka’s first run on Wonder Woman is truly amazing: https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/wonder-woman-1986-195/a91122ab-0510-44fd-b34c-de773ccdaeb7

James Tynion’s run on Detective Comics is really good fun: https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/detective-comics-2016-934/cc90aa54-91e8-4fbe-ae41-85ada1d3854a

Last but definitely not least, Christopher Priest’s run on Deathstroke is truly amazing: https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/deathstroke-rebirth-2016-1/abdf2fe8-c48e-4cf8-a053-36bb6094a96b

1 Like

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s run on Batman was great for me. It told 1 story by the same creative team like comics used to do. Dark Nights Metal was a fun coda, but you don’t have to read it.

Also loved Omega men and Mr Miracle by Tom King.

1 Like

A few other series I recommend that started outside the requested window but lasted into it:
JLA (1996): I’m basically the only human being on the planet who doesn’t like Grant Morrison’s run, and even I agree that Mark Waid’s run immediately afterwards was great.
Nightwing (1996): Chuck Dixon’s original run is great. I haven’t gotten to some of the later stuff, but from what I’ve heard, opinions are a bit more divided on all of that.
Birds of Prey (1998): I haven’t actually gotten to Simone’s run yet, but I’ve heard great things about that. That said, Chuck Dixon’s original run (the first 46 issues - basically everything pre-Simone) is really good and underrated too.
Young Justice (1998): This book is really, really funny. I love it. When it tries to get a bit more serious, it doesn’t pull it off all that effectively, but even the comedic issues (most of them) still have solid plots and some good characterization despite the zaniness. I could technically direct you to Peter David’s run, but he wrote the entire series, so that would be kind of redundant.
Batgirl (2000): OK, I’m gonna be honest: the art on this one is really weird-looking (it’s trying to be stylized, but the proportions are just off a lot of the time), and the story is a little clunky in the early issues. That said, it’s still a fun read that eventually hits its stride and has a lot of powerful moments and good characterization. I believe Kelly Puckett wrote most of this, but I don’t actually remember.

1 Like

Batman: Hush all the way. Jim Lee’s awesome art and Jeph Loeb’s storytelling is near impossible to beat.