What Are Some Great DC Horror Comics?

Favorite type of horror in DC is stuff disgust in The Black Mirror, I find it very creepy and unnerving with stuff involving Gordon’s son and the visuals by Jock.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am doing a little more physical collecting now than i used to. Its 1.5 hours to the nearest comic book shop so it’s still not as much as i would like. But will keep an eye out for these suggestions! Thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

Wonder Woman with a chainsaw?!?!? I’m sold! Take my money! Lol

2 Likes

They dropped some good ones today. Jack Kirby’s Black Magic & Doorway to Nightmare. Just started as new series today, issue #1 of both. That reads like there both Kirby. I meant Black Magic only for Kirby, lol.

1 Like

I read both of those this morning first thing. Wasso excited when i saw them! Loved them both!

2 Likes

Good to hear cuz I’m about to read em too. I thought of this thread as soon as I saw the new additions this morning.

2 Likes

I really like these anthology type horror books. They are so “my brand.” Lol

2 Likes

Right on. I love the magical realm, but there’s no genre I don’t love in DC.

1 Like

@boyoutcastDC

I’m lucky to live in San Diego where we have more Comics Shops than Liquor Stores and very few things bring me more joy than a Wednesday morning pulling books off the wall, but sometimes even the best of us have to take to the internets to order books… Seeing that you live so far from a shop, I’ll tell you who I order from.

I do most of my online shopping with Comics Elite:
https://www.comicselitecomics.com/
Honestly…they lag a little on the shipping but they make up for it through communicating super well and they have an AMASING selection of limited edition covers! They really take care to package everything real well and I’ve never received a damaged book!

And at one point I considered signing up for a subscription service through Black Cat Comics:

…but I’ve been able to schedule work to where I have Wednesdays off to get to the shop and my LCS has an annual membership that gives me a 20% discount, so it would be foolish for me to shop elsewhere. Still though if it weren’t for that discount Black Cat would be mailing me my books every week.

2 Likes

I used to have B&W Showcase Presents reprints of…

House of Secrets
House of Mystery
Ghosts
The Witching Hour

That’s all very EC Comics style stuff. DC was actually very horror focused back in the day.

Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Sandman, and Hellblazer all have horror elements to them.

2 Likes

The recently concluded mini-series Gotham City Monsters definitely walks on the dark side of the road. Frankenstein continues to be one of my favorite DC characters.

2 Likes

I’m looking up some books for a “Suggested Reading” thing for the Black Label book club to prepare for Strange Adventures 1 next week and I came across this:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/house-of-mystery-2008/e203e33c-ac34-4ea1-8f83-956f6a58e5db

Looked pretty cool! Made me think of this post.

1 Like

The Blackest Night series is great if you like the undead or zombies :woman_zombie:
Donna Troy’s undead baby creeps me out. Plus the Book of Black Hand… get inside the mind of a soulless psycho obsessed with death.

4 Likes

That’s creepy.

2 Likes

Not up at night, but still creepy.
Future’s End
Multiversity
Final Crisis
Endgame
Killing Joke
Like, half of Elseworlds
Tales of the Unexpected
Flash, but mainly in the RF department
The JSA classified tends to be creepy
White Knight

4 Likes

The Killing Joke, definitely! Dark moments!

4 Likes

there are a number of horror based comics that I like, these are but a few:
The Demon - 1972-1990 series
Reign in Hell series
the Neil Gaiman Sandman series
John Constantine - Hellblazer series
Green Lantern Blackest Night
The 1985 Watchmen novel has some dark moments- while not necessarily creepy.

1 Like

Those are great suggestions! Thanks so much!

The Killing Jokes makes you think twice before opening the door.

3 Likes

Loved The Killing Joke. One of my faves!

1 Like