What Are Good Series to Introduce Young Children to Comics?

What are some good comic series that are age appropriate to introduce young children to?

9 Likes

I’d highly recommend Tiny Titans or Superman Family Adventures by Art Baltazar. They are perfect for young readers. If they had these when I was a kid, I would’ve loved them.

There’s also a web comic called JL8 by Yale Stewart which would be a fun read for adults and children.

Both would be fine for parents to read to their children, or, if children want to read them on their own, both are appropriate and fun.

11 Likes

This might be a bit of a radical approach to introducing comics to children, but I would say that you should start them with the Golden Age comics. I feel like comics from that era hit an interesting sweet spot where they address certain adult themes (corporate greed, theft, people given death sentences for crimes they didn’t commit, etc.) without showing anything that is too provocative for young readers.

7 Likes

I’m not sure what age group you are looking for but Super Sons is a great read. For kids and adults.

7 Likes

I always make the Robins start with All-American Comics #16.

6 Likes

Search with the Word
Adventures and you will get
many of them, look for books with cartoony style

Read an issue first to make sure it is age appropriate

Stories with Harley Quinn may not be appropriate

There are ones for

Batgirl
Batman
Gotham
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Super Friends
Super Powers
Superman
Superman Family
Supergirl in Eighth Grade
Legion of Superheroes in 31st Century
Batman 66
Superman and Buggs Bunny
Tiny Titans
Teen Titans go

Batman and Robin
Batman Beyond

Some Hanna Barberra comics are NOT for kids. They are too sophiscated. Like Flinstones,
Snagglepuss. Great comics for adults though

Krypto the Super Dog

Future Quest two series. A
lot of characters, which might be confusing

There are also Looney Tunes
teams up here with Martian
Manhunter, Wonder Woman,
Read before letting her read.
Batman and Elmer Fudd may
be too soon.

Never read the Jetson, but
society is crumbling, with few SurvIvors.

Billy Batson is great, with a
prominent kick ass Mary Marvel. She is a very young girl, much younger than Billy.

Jon Kent starts with
Superman Lois and Clark
And then continues
lnto Superman Rebirth 2016.
then Supersons

Lois and Jon are kidnapped
twice and the house they are in, set on fire.
Also, much more involved with continuity and parallel worlds, so maybe not for a very youngster
It’s the only comic series where family is stressed. And Jon liveed on a farm, with solid neighbors and a girl friend, before going to Metropolis.
Until writer Bendis had other ideas and made him into a teenager

9 Likes

Between Tiny Titans, comics from Teen Titans Go!, and some comics from Krypto the Superdog show.

8 Likes

I’d recommend Tiny Titans and Scribblenauts Unmasked. Depending on how young they are, I can also recommend Super Sons, but depending on their age you may want to check that one first.

4 Likes

Even thought I am a young teenager and don’t know much DC stories for kids than for adults, I think some silver age comics would be good for them. It’s just some fun tales of adventure with great superheroes. I would also recommend the Batman 66 series, based on the tv show with Adam West and Burt Ward, since it’s a fun series that I like.

6 Likes

My kids adore Art Baltazar. They just sent him some letters they wrote and pictures they drew! Tiny Titans has my kids familiar with way more characters than I was at their age.

8 Likes

That’s wonderful! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Green Lantern titles alway seemed ripe to be adopted by youngsters due to the often-cosmic environments.

4 Likes

I believe the Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go shows have/had their own tie in comics (I know for sure TTG). If the sole purpose is to just get children to start reading comic books in general and at least get to know a few characters, these as well as Tiny Titans should be the way to go. I think Supersons is around maybe 10+, but that’s up to the person who is giving the child the comic. DC also has DC Kids (I’ve seen the account on Twitter), I suppose do a Google search for that and see what comes up.

3 Likes

As parent who had young children that enjoyed comics who are now young adults that enjoy comics, I would say the best bet is to read any book before giving it to your child. You know your child best and know what is appropriate for her. Just don’t be the parent that gives any comic to your kids without knowing the content.

8 Likes

Welcome back to the DCU @JohnE.3! :smiley:

2 Likes

I would suggest DC’s Silver Age titles such as Strange Adventures, Flash (Vol 1), and other titles like Atom, Green Lantern, etc. I got my start on those when I was around 5-8, and I do not believe they have anything overly inappropriate, since the Comics Code Authority was extremely strict in those days.

4 Likes

I don’t know how young your children are, but I’ll never forget the first comic I read that started my love of comics. New Teen Titans #1 by Wolfman and Perez. I would recommend either that or the early Justice League or Justice Society of America comics.

4 Likes

Not to be confused with Tom King’s Strange Adventures :sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I second the Art Baltazar comics. Also recommend:

• DC Superhero Girls
  • Dear Justice League (stand alone graphic novel).
  • Superman Smashes the Klan (great read even for adults; was a great bedtime read).

If the kids are a little older (10 to tweens), I don’t see much reason to avoid many of the mainline comics, but that depends on how much you can stomach some of the violence and suggestive themes.

3 Likes

My girls love the DC Superhero Girls books. I would definitely recommend especially if you have girls that wouldn’t typically read superhero comics. Very fun.

5 Likes