Weekly Art Challenge #65 Submission Thread - October 16 - 23, 2021 - Classic Cover Re-Creation!

Really great work Rob! The Batman pic really has the Tim Sale vibe, but you tweaked the pose enough to make it unique.

It’s great this challenge has you so fired up!

5 Likes

Thanks! I am not sure of Tim Sale’s process, but mine is to do a gesture drawing with minor details here and there. Then I just fill in the blacks like I am doing a negative space drawing using his original as a guide.

4 Likes

Thought I would color these up and re-post them.

5 Likes

@RobArt471
These are very awesome™:+1:. Both color abs and uncolored. Really cool.

@ImpulseMaxMercury
Cool doing the style with Jim’s Riddler. Looks awesome™:+1:

4 Likes

Had fun with this and decided to do one with a rouge who wasn’t in it. Made a Dark Victory cover with Bane. Like the results.

6 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Very cool! You got the Tim Sale vibe perfect!

3 Likes

2 Likes

To follow in my Riddler mood, and as I promised, here is the Frank Gorshin Riddler.

Here is the reference I had used.

6 Likes

@NYJt3 - really nice way to expand upon the topic and create something new that fits the theme. The color choice really works for Bane!

@ImpulseMaxMercury - That’s a very creepy Riddler. Those teeth! Nice use of light and shadow!

5 Likes

Since I’ve been on a cat theme with Pantha and Wildcat I went with Catwoman.

I really have a greater appreciation of Tim Sale’s work now. He really pulled off form, three dimensional shape and emotion with his use of darkness and shadows.

Here’s my attempt.

5 Likes

Creepy as all get up, well done dude!! :clap:

3 Likes

Purrrrfect execution! You did a superb job capturing the shadow effects Tim Sale uses.

4 Likes

I think this is totally in your wheel house. You have a great eye for shading and placement. This is great!!

3 Likes

Thank you!!

3 Likes

Great work and it captures both the art and the actor very well. I like you kept his shoulders out of the drawing and just showed the ? Marks just like the above with only his tie showing.

4 Likes

Ooooo shoulda scolled down further lol, beautiful batman, I am loving the extra long bat ears.

Plus the color you used for em looks stunning and the purple somehow makes Mr J look 10x more creepier. :+1:

3 Likes

Splosions! I love this, I like the side view and using the venom color for the whole piece.

3 Likes

Thanks Rob!

3 Likes

Oooo nice, great work with the shading especially that pointing hand!

4 Likes