Weekly Art Challenge #65 Submission Thread - October 16 - 23, 2021 - Classic Cover Re-Creation!

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

The challenge this week is to re-create a cover from Batman: Dark Victory in your own unique style!

You can find out more details here.

Due Date: October 23, 2021
Post your final work in the thread below.
@DCFanArtClub

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

9 Likes

What can I say, this one got me fired up a little. I chose to do the Joker cover. Love Tim Sale’s art.

9 Likes

This is legit bro!!! :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

6 Likes

I wanted to challenge myself so I took on the Riddler. But not just any Riddler, but Jim Carrey’s Riddler from Batman Forever so I could try to work in my realistic style. I included my reference but really tried to evoke the shadows from Tim Sale’s covers. By the way, it was so cool actually meeting Mr Sale at a convention and being able to share my drawing homage to his Long Halloween pumpkin drawn using tiny pumpkins.

Here’s my reference

If I have time, I may attempt it with the Frank Gorshin Riddler

9 Likes

This is quite scary! I love it! Really evokes Tim Sale’s work.

5 Likes

Wow Rob, that is an awesome recreation! I’d say you’ve given it a bit more realistic form and structure, but it really still carries that Tim Sale creepy vibe. Well done!

5 Likes

Very nice work! It’s a good application of Tim Sale’s shadowy style, but I can still see Jim Carrey’s likeness coming through. Please do more!

6 Likes

Thank you sir!

4 Likes

Looks great! Love the Tim Sale shading effect on this!

5 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

5 Likes

Thanks, I have been in an inking grove here lately and this fed right into it. Not to mention I just watched The Long Halloween on HBOMax and was really in the mood for some drawing when I saw this challenge. I am out of town right now, but I might try another once I get back home tomorrow. :metal:

6 Likes

Got back into town today and had some downtime after unpacking. My favorite relaxation activity is exactly what you think it would be…drawing. Decided to try the Batman cover by Tim Sale this time around. Hope you enjoy it.

I had some horrible glare from the lights, so I did a little contrast editing to help the blacks stay black. I liked the effect so much I applied it to the Joker cover I did, too.

6 Likes

:scream: He is the niiiight! Amazing work yet again :clap:

6 Likes

Ok these are crazy cool! The joker especially looks rightfully terrifying, ngl I wanna see that on a pumpkin now! :jack_o_lantern:

5 Likes

Thank you! It is easier when the reference material is so amazing! Tim Sale is the master of this technique!

4 Likes

Thanks! These were so much fun! I wish I could carve pumpkins, cause I would totally try it out!! Sadly, my avatar on here this month, is the best I have ever done.

4 Likes

Yes! Stunning shape work. Even though I don’t much like the character, the calendar man art shown above is the greatest imo. Also that ivy piece is just :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Pumpkins are hard! I really want to try doing one this year but I’m likely not gonna find the time :sob:

4 Likes

I thought of trying the Ivy or Riddler one next, if I can find the time. Since I took a long weekend from work, I will probably be too busy to do it though. :disappointed:

5 Likes

Yeah, I feel that. Work has gotten so busy for me i just can’t wait till our busy season is over so I can have time to enjoy art again and maybe do some more challenges here again!

And also the ivy one has so much texture it could be a really neat exercise to trying that one

5 Likes