Weekly Art Challenge #52 Submission Thread - July 3 - 10, 2021 - Jack Kirby's Fourth World

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

This weeks topic is Jack Kirby’s Fourth World!

You can check out more details here.

Due Date: July 10, 2021
Post your final work in the thread below.

@DCFanArtClub
Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

8 Likes

This week’s challenge was a really interesting one for me. I wanted to strive to homage Kirby’s style but found his shading technique unique. I am used to shading for realism but this was different and still gave the sense of depth. I hope I came close to the master (whose reference I included here out of respect for the King):
My drawing:

The original reference:

13 Likes

@JKoco17 i wanted to get my entry in early this week because I will be leaving for vacation next weekend. I wanted to let you know as I will be late for the next week’s assignment as I won’t be able to work on it until I get back.

6 Likes

Awesome work! It really gives off that Kirby energy!

Enjoy your vacation!

7 Likes

Excellent work, @ImpulseMaxMercury - I think you did a great job with the shading and the homage really comes across. Enjoy your vacation, you deserve it! :sun_with_face:

7 Likes

Wonderful work IMM, I especially like the shine on the helmet, Darkseid is very clean. And your posing with orion is spot on. Plus a background too, the chunks by orion are really great/ give a lot of depth? not sure if thats the word I’m looking for . Regardless you killed this challenge!

(Also enjoy your vacation)

7 Likes

So I basically know zilch about Jack Kirby fourth world besides whats in the animated movies and shows…so theres a scene where bats comes outta the boom tube all dizzy-ish so

And attempt with color

Also I didn’t use a reference this time hence why forager is standing like that i mean honestly :sweat_smile: I couldn’t quite figure it out

14 Likes

Decided I’d do The Snyder Cut Darkseid while I was at work! Seeing him the first time blew my mind ! I used the Uxas pose but went ahead and added the full armor from the other pic! Different medium (and character :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: this time). Used a mechanical pencil and two different pens.

12 Likes

I love this! It reminds me how Diggle would throw up after the Flash ran him somewhere. Very funny especially for someone so serious as Batman

6 Likes

It’s almost got an independent comic feel to it like a Crumb. Very cool! Darks did is very cool snd the textures are so nicely done. Great job!

5 Likes

Thanks!!! Kirby is a master and difficult to emulate so I’m glad you like it.
I’ll enjoy my vacation!

5 Likes

Thanks! As I said I usually shade for realism and Kirby is a different style. I’m glad I pulled it off.
Vacation here I come.

5 Likes

Thanks! I wanted to pull off the Kirby look and I’m glad it came through. Before Darkseid become so overly textured and rocky looking, he was kept simpler but no less cool looking.
I’ll see you all when I get back.

4 Likes

Superior effort! This is a phenomenal job and does totally have that Kirby vibe!!

Vacation granted. :rofl:

Have fun!!!:sunny:

5 Likes

Lol!! Love the hand pats on the back! This is great!! :+1:

3 Likes

Cool textures! Nicely done!! :+1:

4 Likes

and reference

9 Likes

oops just realized that’s totally not kalibaks left leg.

5 Likes

A boom tube and Forager! I totally forgot about him! This is great and funny work!

5 Likes

Nice work @Aztek! You’ve captured that grumpy Darkseid look really well.

6 Likes