Weekly Art Challenge #51 Submission Thread - June 26 - July 3, 2021 - Dinosaurs!

This is fantastic!

3 Likes

Oh wow, a Woozy Winks reference! He is kind of a chubby guy right? Might make a good snack…a TRex has to eat! :wink:

I was actually considering having Plas all stuck in the TRex’s teeth, but I went a bit lighter. Look at that cute eye!

4 Likes

love the coloring, :fire: :fire:

3 Likes

Slick work @NYJt3, it looks great :+1:t3:

4 Likes

I made the mistake of had the brilliant idea to read this week’s challenge out loud to my wife without already having an idea on what to draw. So she immediately suggested - and I think this is pretty close to verbatim - “do Nightwing riding a pterodactyl. And his butt better be prominent.” So this week I have my first commission, I guess? (And I think I joined another fan art cult.)

After figuring out how someone could ride a pterodactyl with their butt prominent in a way that wouldn’t require figuring out what a pterodactyl butt looks like, things went pretty quick, so I used the remaining days to try my hand at my first full background/landscape. Inked them separately, overlayed via computer, and colored a printout, so this is regular copy paper rather than vellum. I still suck at coloring, but it was an interesting change of pace materials-wise.

...but why?

If anyone is interested, the pterodactyl is named Pterry, pronounced “Perry,” like the platypus, not “Terry” like the future bat. Or at least that’s what Dick’s been calling him while he’s been marooned on Dinosaur Island, slowly going mad. Because maybe the T can just be silent for once, amiright?

Why is he doing a handstand instead of sitting like a reasonable person? Because he’s been hopping from pterodactyl to pterodactyl, gymnastically, as he does, “riding the swarm,” trying to meet up with a rescue drone that Babs sent, after he finally made contact with the radio transmitter he built from sand, aa, and branches. There’s a six issue miniseries possible, if any DC editors want my brilliance.

10 Likes

Thanks​:+1:

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

That looks awesome™:+1:.
Background and shading are great. And I like Perry’s colors.

4 Likes

Haha, yes, he’s the chubby buddy who usually wears a polkadot green shirt and straw boater hat.

Like when the chewing gum just won’t play nice! :slight_smile: I like the muzzle approach. Prevents any incidental biting, and the dino just looks exasperated with Plas.

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Duuude, b rex looks sweet as heck! Look at those chompers! And the shading/coloring is fantastic per usual!

3 Likes

So colorful I love it! Plus nice background story with a limited 6 issue series :laughing: Pterry looks great and I can definitely picture NW doing flips amongst dinos. Great prompt from your significant other :clap:

6 Likes

4 Likes

That’s a really nice layout. Fantastic volcano and dinosaur!

5 Likes

Really great job!! The background is awesome! Great imaginative layout to get the piece to met all the objectives of the “request.”

4 Likes

11 Likes

Awesome! The shading is great! Definitely got a serious battle going on here!! I would love to know the story.

4 Likes

just another day in Skataris.

6 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

3 Likes