I made a Youtube video about my thoughts on this, my channel name is the same as my username here. But I did touch base on it here. The Birds Of Prey movie is really burning a hole in the back of my head atm.
Here’s what I wrote on another thread:
I have a very unpopular opinion about how this movie is being served up.
I really don’t want to get DeadShot sent after me on this one but oh well here we goooo (Slick Rick).
1. The fact there will be a movie in which Black Canary will be taking to a backseat to a character like Harley Quinn is - as a fan - the same as Superman taking a backseat to Mister Mxyzptlk… You can’t have two “main actors/actresses” in a movie so there’s that.
2. Some of the birds being pulled into this movie is disheartening considering there is a strong chance there will not be a reboot/reiteration going in the direction of the team’s real origin and that would have been 150 times more entertaining to see than what we are getting served up. On top of that, imagine it being done over several movies. The first being of course with Barbara teaming up with Dinah and then later Huntress joining in and maybe in a second movie Starling/Ladyhawk etc joining in for example.
3. At the least from the impression the media revolving around the movie is giving of Black Canary I am not liking it. She’s way too strong of a character (in comics) than what Smollet seems to be acting out on screen - but that also can be due to the writer, Christina Hudson.
And she also lacks the intimidation factor Dinah has in the comics as drawn by many pencilers in DC Comics. Like, Black Canary (comics) vs Black Canary (movie, Black Canary (comics) wins.
4. Renee Montoya, I like Rosie from the later 80s and early 90s but she’s way to comical and quirky for playing a serious character like Renee.
5. Cassandra Cain, so much to say here but we’ll have to see what happens in the actual movie. But so far, no good. That is ofc regarding what we know of her from the panels.
6. I’ll stop here because I don’t want to get sniped from 1,000 meters by Deadshot.
As someone who works in CG and in the digital industry, I love the art. I am a very coloful person, I live in Miami so a lot attributes to that. So yes, aesthetically the movie is super artsy and I love it for that so far. Black Mask being in the movie is also a plus for me. As an inline skater, I am also digging the rollerblades I saw Harley on.
In closing, the movie looks fun. I just think of what could have been.