We need to talk about the upcoming Birds Of Prey

So now I would like to talk about the birds of prey roster
It consists of
Renee Montoya
Harleen Quinzell aka Harley Quinn
Cassandra Cain aka Batgirl and orphan
Helena Bertinelli aka huntress

Does it bother anyone that Babs is not involved at all? On top of that, is an R rating going to get this movie very far? Logan and Deadpool were a success… but so is the MCU, DC hasn’t had the best history in movie making.

So what do you think?

9 Likes

If I watched the trailer without any pre-determined know how on the title… I never would guess what it was meant to be.

So by seeing thumbnails of the video… That’s enough for me. But… I’m not watching the trailer.

4 Likes

The fact that Barbara isn’t involved in Birds of Prey is a very minor annoyance, but they always tweak things for the movies. I’m over the, “They changed something,” stage of fandom. I assume they are holding on to Batgirl because DCEU’s entire take on Batman is in flux, and they are probably still trying to figure out if they can bring together a coherent universe. There’s also been talk of a Batgirl standalone movie, so they could be keeping her out for that reason.

I don’t think the R rating is a death blow, but I do think it may limit the movie’s chances of success. I started to say it doesn’t matter much anymore since the hardcore fans will support a movie regardless of its ratings, but the problem is that unlike Logan and Deadpool which both had mainstream appeal and a lot of space in the public consciousness, Birds of Prey isn’t a group that has any resonance with the non-comic book fan. Based on the trailer, they should have just named it Harley Quinn and spun Birds of Prey out of it.

8 Likes

I was hoping to see Babs, but maybe we’ll get a tease at the end of the movie?

3 Likes

The biggest downside to an R rating is you lose the China market unless do a PG13 cut for release there like Deadpool 2. China is a lot of money to ignore.

2 Likes

You forgot Dinah Lance aka Black Canary. No Barbara doesn’t bother me. Some fans say it’s not Birds Of Prey without her, but others would argue that it’s not really Birds Of Prey unless Barbara is Oracle (i.e. not Batgirl) and I don’t see WB introducing her post her Batgirl career. Better to let Barbara make her debut in The Batman or in a solo Batgirl film than add another fighter to a group that’ll already have Huntress, Black Canary, and Harley Quinn.

4 Likes

It seems more of a Harley Quinn movie than Birds of Prey but that’s a point that us big fans will make. My friends who don’t know the characters just accept it and don’t know Babs’ role. Even as a fan I actually don’t mind it. I like Harley Quinn as a character and they seem to have some nice touches like the hyenas and her mallet from the trailer. Performance wise it could be good too as long as the director knows how to handle those actors. It seemed like Ewan McGregor was Black Mask which I didn’t expect Black Mask to appear on screen. Overall it’s not necessarily a movie I’m dying to see but I don’t mind the inaccuracies of the Birds of Prey name like other folks.

2 Likes

I think they are just using Harley for the marketing, overall really excited for this movie.

6 Likes

It’s also worth noting that the Birds of Prey show had Barbara in it but I wouldn’t exactly call it a faithful adaptation of the comic.

I’m more upset with how Cassandra is going to be portrayed. She went from silent assassin bad-ass that could give any fighter in DC a run for their money and turned into female Short Round. I’m quite biased though, Cassandra was one of my favorite characters in the Batfam.

4 Likes

I would rather watch an elseworlds movie with Gumby as Batman and Pokey as Commissioner Gordon

4 Likes

@Maddox: If that happened, his fights with Clayface might be more on an even keel.

3 Likes

@maddox you’re still gonna watch it though

3 Likes

There was a Batgirl film in development at the same time Birds of Prey was in development, which is why she was off limits.

It doesn’t bother me that she’s not in. It’s cool that they are doing something different with the movie.

2 Likes

The movie looks like it could be fun and will have plenty of scenery for Margot Robbie to chew. I mostly just wish they had gone for Gotham City Sirens or had established the Birds of Prey first. Hopefully it is better than Suicide Squad.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t mind Babs not being in it. While the movie is called birds of prey, it’s clearly diverging a lot from the comics and with how the trailer has gone it kind of fits that she’s not in it. I love Babs, but the movie seems to really be going for an outcast, ragtag group sort of vibe and while she has some interesting writing on her growth and moving away from the batfamily as oracle, it’s a very different tone from the one they seem to be going for in the movie. I’m hoping, if the movie does well, that they’ll expand on it with a sequel or a spin off, bc I’d love to see a sirens movie or at least see harley and ivy onscreen together. If that happens they can absolutely bring barbara in to tie the group together as an actual team.

2 Likes

I just wish the live action characters could at least resemble the comic book characters…

3 Likes

Their making a Bird’s of Prey Movie?! oh… wait, you mean Harley Quinn 3 don’t you? A Bird’s of Prey movie would be awesome!
In all seriousness … actually, no, that was serious. Anyways, I don’t mind Babs (still the worst nick-name ever) not being in it. Now when they inevitably mess up and Cassandra Cain is done wrong I will be very, very unhappy. It looks like another BvS in the making. Good premise and characters, no logical reason for anyone with that kind of budget and foundation to fail, yet alas, for all those generations of struggle, what have they achieved?

2 Likes

They’re not their for the record. (and in my geek mind, “Record? Is someone supposed to be writing this down?!” -Mark Hamill in “Trail” BTAS)

1 Like

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who is bothered by the complete lack of Babs. She’s the main bird part of Birds of Prey. Her and Black Canary are the original Birds of Prey, just having Canary doesn’t necessarily justify having it called Birds of Prey, she’s been on multiple teams, it’s her and Barbra specifically that make the team what it is. Later on, they added Huntress, (who I’m hoping they finally get right in this movie as she’s one of my favorite comics characters,) later on when the team expanded, so having her doesn’t necessarily justify the title either. I missed the Cassandra Cain part completely, but her stint as Batgirl doesn’t justify calling the movie Birds of Prey either.
To be honest, while I hope for the best with this movie and I’m glad to see Huntress on the big screen, and I love that they used one of my favorite minor villains, Black Mask, as the main antagonist and Ewan McGregor is a great actor and I’m confident he’s going to do fantastic as the character. The movie looks like a step up from Suicide Squad and a very positive direction for Harley. However, I would rather there be a Harley Quinn solo movie instead having the Birds of Prey crammed in.
That being said, I’m very glad that they seem to be going in a positive direction with Harley Quinn, instead of romanticizing her relationship with Joker and having her hate him and become independent instead, but they could do that better in a solo movie and have other characters included in the movie, helping along her character arc of becoming more independent and getting over guys like the Joker, and having her finally see the Joker for the monster that he is, retconing his depiction in Suicide Squad, revealing him to be a series of Jokerized henchmen and doctors and even random people of the street he forced to act like him, drugging Harley to make her hallucinate a fictional version of him with the weird image being a byproduct of Harley’s drug induced imagination. He drugged her with something he mixed up with supplies he acquired at Arkham the moment they first met. She had been seeing her own fictional version of him ever since. He eventually made her take the same chemical he did, but with his concoction in her system it didn’t really work quite right, but it achieved the Joker’s desired effect. It resulted in altering her DNA in a different way than his. This was all part of his big joke. At first he interacted with her personally, manipulating her and twisting her mind until he broke it. Then, he rebuilt it to where she could be nothing but loyal at the sight of him, which thanks to the drug mixing with the chemicals was far more frequently than he cared to actually be there, and always in her head. Now all he has to do is spray other people with a little something new he cooked up and the fumes it emits triggers an effect in Harley’s DNA similar to his homemade drug he dosed her with every time they met up until the chemical bath, which he claimed only had a ninety SEVEN percent chance of killing her painfully. That’s MUCH better than one hundred. At least that what he said right before pushing her into the vat. He knew it wouldn’t kill her, but it would be funnier if she didn’t and was expecting the die in agony with those being the last words she hears. So he lets out a laugh as she plunges in and doesn’t die. Subconsciously, she doesn’t think it’s very funny, but she’s compelled to laugh too. After long term exposure to the new drug he planned to have her fly a blimp shaped like a clown over Gotham with music and spray his Joket Toxin over the whole city. When Harley goes to inflate the blimp, she gets sucked up in it, along with a brand new Joker gas he created, interacting with her DNA and making a brand new Toxin made out of her DNA and everything else that dissolved away in the new concoction that would be released all over Gotham, filling the streets and Jokerizing all it comes to contact with until they’re all mindless jackals filling the streets with laughter and chaos, unable to control themselves or stop until they drop. It’s his ultimate party and all of Gotham is going to celebrate along with him. They follow one rule, always protect the Joker for as long as your lifespan allows. Just as long as he can keep Batman distracted with Harley and keeps getting exposed to the same poison she’s covered with and that his various sudojoker’s are spraying into the air around him, fighting them while he’s developing his new toxin and getting his plan ready. He’s endlessly entertained by the side effect it had on Batman, making him so violent. He did miss Batman while he was away though so he did actually resurface once to try and bait Batman, showing himself without the drug and sending a very loud calling card to get Batman’s attention. He’s insulted when he finds out Batman didn’t even bother to show up, he just sent Robin. So he sent Batman a momento from the party that he missed and sent Jason Todd with the message. Unfortunately, Batman finds out about his plan with Harley before he can start and allows to see him as he truly is. After that, she sets out alone and ready to prove her Independence, when she meets Poison Ivy and Catwoman and together they take down Black Mask together, but for sperate reason and Harley uses him as a representation of Joker and takes him down to prove to herself that she really is over Joker. At least that’s how the movie should have been and it should have had the title Gotham City Sirens.
Sorry for getting a bit off track there at the end.

3 Likes