We Need To Talk About ComiXology

I’m sorry if there’s any confusion. My complaint is that the new ComiXology has made it prohibitively difficult to keep up with and purchase new comics.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: I actually buy my books on amazons website’s kindle store if i am getting something new. I get them by using the link on the official DC website that takes me to the kindle store if its a new book, or if its a series I follow by clinking on buying the next issue if I have been readied for pre-order after I finish the issue I am reading. i just type in the title of the book I am looking for if I cant find it in my kindle library(i do miss it when i scroll to look at times) in the search function find it so I have literally had no trouble getting the next issue or finding something in my library. I am only subscribed to buy one series and that is Batman/Catwoman and that works just fine too.

No Problem. I honestly would not know as I am extremally satisfied with the Kindle app and never saw a reason to switch to ComiXology.

1 Like

I use the amazon kindle store too. If you know what you’re looking for, yea you can find it. The problem comes when, for example, they run a sale. Going into the “deals” section, you can click on the sale, but it will display the included books… 10 at a time… in no particular order… and you can only go forward or backward a page or two at a time. For a larger sale, like the current DC eBooks sale, it’s not navigable unless you’ve got the patience to click through hundreds of screens.

ya it would be nice if you could sort it A-Z and display more books but its does have a sort function. you can go by featured, price high, price low and publication date. (i just double checked) oh hay The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel (2021) is on sale picking that baby up. oh nice so is Zatanna and the House of Secrets

While I’m not thrilled about the change, I am glad they brought the sales tab back. It’s called “Comics Deals” now, but it’s the sales tab.

Every now and then I’d pop into the Comixology site to see what trades they had for sale and rack up. That’s how I started reading the IDW TMNT line; they had a great sale with their big collected editions for like six bucks a piece. I got them, downloaded them to my iPad and went through them in a couple of days. The same goes for the Jurgens run on Action Comics during Rebirth.

1 Like

It bears mentioning that DC did have their own digital storefronts, via the DC Comics app and the readdccomics.com website, with both being active for many years.

Ironically, the Read DC site was shut down a year or so ago and the DC Comics app was shut down last year, back when Comixology was still a well-oiled machine that everyone liked.

With each passing day since Comixology became the digital comics retail equivalent of New Coke, its clear to a brobdingnagian degree that the DC Comics app and the Read DC site should be brought back anew, as they’ve each got a newfound relevancy.

5 Likes

The old DC Comics app was just a DC version of the Comixology app, was it not? I used it exclusively, but still had to buy my comics on the Comixology site for them to show up on the app.

To offer a different point of view. My biggest issue in the very early days of the transition was not being able to find the weekly new DC releases, a problem that has since been rectified. Currently, two problems remain for me:

• The search experience on the portal needs a lot of improving. When I search for “Superman”, I need to see what series, and what collected editions of said series are available. Something the old site used to do, while the new portal just spits out an endless unorganized list of single issues.

• When I switch to landscape mode on my iPad to read a double page spread, I should still be able to swipe left to go to the next page. On the current app, I can’t do this; have to rotate back to portrait to be able to properly navigate. A nuisance, to be honest.

Other than that, everything else is working for me. Subscriptions and current library are uninterrupted, I’m able to buy what I want (though as I just mentioned getting there isn’t always pleasant), and finding books in my library on the app is the same as it was before.

I prefer the old site, no doubt, but I don’t find the new setup unusable… just not as good.

3 Likes

Yeah, more or less.

It had the same functionality as Comixology in most respects, but AFAIK, DC oversaw it.

When I bought books on the DC app, they’d carry over to Comixology and vice/versa (including mature content available on Comixology, but not available on the DC app).

A handy thing about the DC app was that you could use Google Play gift cards on it.

When I got those as gifts and couldn’t find anything to spend them on, they’d just go towards a given week’s new releases, which was convenient.

3 Likes

I am someone who doesn’t really care to own digital copies and I opt for a subscription. My problem (and I imagine many other’s problems) with ComiXology is that the business practice feels ‘shitty’ for a lack of better words. ComiXology Unlimited is more like a paid trial period for a series you want to read. Many people like me were surprised to read a series halfway through and later be told to pay for the other half. At that point, it was clear that I might as well subscribe to Marvel and DC. They also have manga on their app which is weird because manga is the wild west with this sort of stuff and Idk why people would opt to buy manga on ComiXology. What makes a marvel/dc subscription worth it is the library, features, collections, and filters that make reading easier. It is almost like you are paying for comics AND services to help you stay engaged. All of that isn’t needed for Manga because they are all standalone series for the most part. Plus panel-view doesn’t even work on a lot of manga within ComiXology because “the author intends it to be read without it”.

From my perspective, what Comixology has working for it is the non-marvel/non-dc/non-manga content. Idk why they don’t just set up their service similar to Marvel and DC but with those titles. Also maybe put more effort into Comixology Originals because most are only 3-4 issues long.

I was hoping to get Comixology Unlimited for non-DC and Marvel series. I’m really wanting to read more Star Trek, D&D, Transformers and TMNT comics. Seeing everyone’s reactions on here has me wary.

Well just make sure whatever series you plan on reading is fully unlocked via ComiXology unlimited if that matters to you. Otherwise you will have to pay for the other half. It is also impossible to find what those series are unless you manually search for them and see. They don’t have a filter that filters the complete series available. They don’t have many filters and sorting features in general.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the part that’s been confusing me. Previously it was a lot easier to see what was available.

I don’t think the devs read comics or manga. It is built like they think Superman is on the Avengers and Dredd lives in Gotham next to Konoha Village. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

As an author who publishes through KDP (Amazon) I’ve known for a long time that Amazon cares very little about its digital marketplace, and whether it functions well. DC would be much further ahead to open a new digital store and make its own reading app.

I’ve also been saying for a while that DC might be better off going to a print-on-demand model when it comes to comics. It would be better for the environment and would cut back on the cost of printing, shipping, and warehouse space. The money they save could be put to better use by releasing more content. How cool would it be to be able to order long out-of-print series as trade paperbacks and omnibus editions at the click of a button? I know I’d leap at the chance to own some old favorites in that format that otherwise aren’t likely to get reprinted.

3 Likes

I would love that.

I really dont like the new marketplace on comixology since it is very hard to find what you want to buy unless you look for a certain title. One thing the new app has done is save me money since I don’t have an easier search app to get new books.

1 Like