WB Pictures Announces Breaking News!

Extended thoughts:

1. The Suicide Squad: I’m interested. James Gunn did a great job with GOTG and I like the characters.
  2. In The Heights: Seems familiar, but I can’t remember why.
  3. Wonder Woman 1984: Yay!
  4. Space Jam: A New Legacy: I don’t care about sports, but I love the Looney Tunes.
  5. Tom And Jerry: It actually looks okay. I’m more excited about it now. I hope Droopy appears.
  6. Dune: Eh. Not really interested in the franchise.
  7. Matrix 4: I tried the first one, got bored, and stopped. I’m glad that fans of the Matrix have another one to enjoy!
  8. Godzilla Vs Kong: Too scared to watch it, same with the preceding MonsterVerse films.

EDIT: I’m only half-joking when I say this, but please don’t kill me for my bad film taste.

7 Likes

I do not do not think thsi will be the case, as seeing a movie in a theater is just to ingraned in are culture to have theaters go away permanently.

4 Likes

i have heard Netflix is trying to get the rights to air number 8.

4 Likes

This is beyond awesome. I miss movie theaters, but don’t see myself going to one for at least another year. Plus this is a way to boost the streaming service which was also hurting for original content due to the current world situation.

I really do hope to see Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn on the big screen again. Maybe things will be good enough to get me out of the house for that one. :man_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Awwww snap! A spot of brightness in an otherwise dark year. Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the movie going experience my whole life before and after fatherhood. And I can say with all sincerity that I will not miss spending $50+ just to see a movie with my son. With half of that amount I can have a great line up of snacks for us and watch the movie on a big screen ultra HDTV with a soundbar setup. Better food, better view, no lines, cleaner bathroom, ability to pause movie to visit said bathroom… What’s not like? Bring it on.

7 Likes

In a big pot (with lid) and a little oil on the stovetop. Better than any fancy machine, hot air popper or microwave.

5 Likes

Still going to a theater; as it is meant to be seen for the first time

4 Likes

aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine

1 Like

Using intellect as well as acknowledging humanity is NEVER being a downer. :fist:t3: :bat:

:+1:t3: :clinking_glasses:

8 Likes

“Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle! Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong that will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”Frederick Douglas

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. When it comes to big blockbusters like WW84, Suicide Squad, The Batman, etc., I can’t imagine seeing them outside of a theater for the 1st time, and this is coming from someone who’s incredibly introverted and would’ve rather stayed at home for most things even before the pandemic. I really believe that the 1st time you watch a movie and that initial impression it leaves on you is absolutely key in forming an overall opinion about it, though re-watches are definitely important as well. When it comes to that 1st time, there’s just no beating the huge screen and top-notch picture/audio quality of a movie theater. I’m happy to watch big-time movies a dozen more times at home, but I honestly feel like watching them for the 1st time at home will negatively impact my opinion of them. Maybe not by much, but just enough to make a difference nonetheless

6 Likes

I have to agree. I enjoyed going to the movies for many years but as time passed it got to be ridiculously expensive just to buy the tickets nevermind the food which is usually sub par and very overpriced. The people also started to get more and more obnoxious. I haven’t stepped foot in a movie theater to see any current film for literally years and have simply waited for movies to come out elsewhere.

We had this really great dollar movie theater that showed movies after the major theaters in the area had finished doing so. It was a cheap and quiet way to still get that big screen experience without spending a ton and they kept the theater immaculate. They also had great popcorn and other food and drink at a decent price. Sadly in October of 2019 there was a fire at the theater and they were planning to reopen in 2020 but then the pandemic hit. There’s been no word on if it will ever reopen or at least none that I can find, which is sad.

In any case this is a great bit of news for me since I’ve not been going to the movies anyway. This way I’ll have a comfortable seat with a good view of the screen plus whatever food and drink I want. No lines, no people texting on their phones, no idiots throwing popcorn and no sticky shoes afterward.

8 Likes

I knew it was headed here. Had to be, movie theatre’s will soon be a thing of the past. Won’t miss em a bit.

1 Like

This! Amen.

2 Likes

I’m happy about it with Wonder Woman 1984, and DUNE. Buttah, IDK how I feel about Suicide Squad. I was looking forward to watching that on the big screen. I know I can. I’m not risking it tho. I also don’t want to miss out, but a little war film at home, IDK. Just… okay, I guess.

[ x ]

3 Likes
  1. I recently bought a vinyl record
  2. I still go to my local comic book shop
  3. I just watched ‘Aquaman’ on Blu-Ray for the 8th(?) time

My point is this - all of those things are supposed to be gone by now. iTunes and Pandora were going to end physical music. Comixology, DC Universe and tablets were going to end books and comic books. Streaming services and digital rentals were going to end blu-ray and DVDs. Yet they all still exist.

Yes, this will hurt the movie theater business but it’s not going away. Not even close. TV didn’t kill it, cable TV didn’t kill it, HDTV didn’t kill it, 70 inch screens for less than $500 didn’t kill it, 4K didn’t kill it, streaming didn’t kill it and Netflix didn’t kill it. There will always be people that prefer to see movies on a big screen with superior sound and a live audience and the theaters will be there for them.

I love this news and I’m looking forward to watching ‘Wonder Woman: 1984’ in just 21 days and I don’t spend one second worrying about the movie theater business. They’ll be just fine.

14 Likes

I like this announcement.

I’ll like it even more when HBO Max (with 4K functionality) comes to Roku and the sooner the better, please.

Hop to it, WarnerMedia. HBO Max’s inclusion on Roku should have happened at launch. It should most certainly be in place in time for Wonder Woman 1984’s debut.

8 Likes

Well said @FelixLeiter.
I don’t think they are going away. In fact, I believe if will force the theaters to be a much better place. Most of them will realize they need to step up their game as far as (cleaner restrooms, polite staff, cleaner theaters/seats, equipment that doesn’t turn off in the middle of the movie for no reason at all, dealing with obnoxious people, provide better and cheaper food/drinks, etc)
I think the streaming services and the movie theaters will simply force each other to provide us, (their customers), with much better products and experiences.
:+1:t2::sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m very happy to be an HBOMAX subscriber. I honestly have always dreamed of something like this happening. I have got to get one of those 4K Short-Throw projectors and really bring the theatre experience home.

6 Likes

I don’t think movie theaters are completely coming to an end. There are still drive-in movies for the nostalgia of that experience. As others have said, people are still buying vinyl records, heck there’s even still a VHS market. I think the majority of people still would enjoy going out to the cinemas, and will when the pandemic is over. Live entertainment like concerts and plays will come back too. I just think this pandemic has shut down so much in the entertainment industry, I love any attempts to deliver the content that we want. I would have accepted watching a scheduled live stream of the content as well, but on-demand is even better.

7 Likes