WB/Discovery Cancellations Are Now Taking Effect! What Would You Like to See in the Future

Hold up!! Maybe @Sean-Malloy can debunk this fact of the Wonder Twins again lol.

2 Likes

A quick piece from Variety…

“[We’re] staying in the superhero business,” Pedowitz said on a press call ahead of the network’s annual upfront presentation for advertisers. “We are staying working with Greg Berlanti, who has masterminded creatively The CW DC Universe.”

Pedowitz then pointed to the fact that DC’s “Stargirl” will be on The CW’s fall lineup, while fellow DC shows “The Flash” and “Superman & Lois” will be airing at midseason along with the new DC show “Gotham Knights.” He did acknowledge, however, that the network’s DC offerings have been pared down, such as the cancellation of “Legends of Tomorrow” after seven seasons and of “Batwoman” after three.

“So we’re not as robust as we were in the past, but still very much there,” Pedowitz said. “We started with one — this was ‘Arrow’ 10 years ago — we have now moved to create a whole bunch of superheroes. And we’re proud of it and we plan to stay in that business. No matter what the outcome is, with any event of sale or no sale. I think the Warner side realizes the value of having these properties up. DC Comics realizes the value of what it does to their marketability, in terms of what these franchises are.”

So just a few shows instead of a bunch of shows. Good plan, I guess.

I just thought of something that I would absolutely love, love, love to see on HBO Max…

An adaption of THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE.

It’s up for an Eisner for Best New Series, and I think it would just be wonderful if HBO Max made a mini-series out it. :smiling_face:

Hopefully they’re looking at something like that. Because they did DMZ from Vertigo. They’re doing Dead Boy Detectives which is from Vertigo.

DC Black Label is kinda sorta Vertigo… a little. So maybe there’s a chance.

2 Likes

No. Just that the HBOMAX movies will be the cheap stuff. I was trying to be hopeful with the WT movie since I’d have seen it

1 Like

Just read it’s unlikely Flash and Superman & Lois will get a renewal after the seasons that are presently in production. That’ll be that for DC on “regular” tv.

2 Likes

No, it will be after Stargirl finishes season 10.

5 Likes

I hope they move Superman to HBO Max, but it feels kinda light for their mature style of programming.

1 Like

The plan is for 6 seasons

3 Likes

No, he told Gellman he might get his desired musical episode on season 9.

1 Like

Enough with The Batman! Eighty plus years of incredible material and it always seems to come back to the Batman!
How about another big-budget, iconic Superman movie?
A period piece JSA film.
A Blue and The Gold comedy adventure.
A big-budget Black Lightning film.
The LEGION of SUPER-HEROES!
and The Metal Men.

6 Likes

The general rule of thumb is around 20 minutes between reboots. That puts us at around 10 years from ideal time for release from next Superman movie. In addition with the live action Superman show that would feel less special making this far from an ideal time for it, especially with the big budget.

No need to be a period piece, but that is an option, and plenty of them can be filmed for a cheap price.

This can work.

I think this can be made for a small budget, and with his recent live action show it is better to wait.

I think this sounds incredibly risky. The big names have expensive sounding powers, very expensive sounding sets, and the team of children would realisticly require mainly child actors or adults who look like children.

I think this can be a great movie and have a reasonably small budget.

2 Likes

Small budgets don’t work for superhero franchises unless you’re talking about street level characters.

This really has me worried

1 Like

They are doing an animated Metal Men movie

4 Likes

Batman is all WB recognizes anymore for comic characters

3 Likes

Source?

3 Likes

:man_shrugging: I was scrolling my entertainment news feed on my iPhone during breakfast.

1 Like

Yeah, animation would probably be best for those characters.

2 Likes

I want Cavill back. That’s the beginning and end of my list. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Give me JL2, JL3, MOS2 and a Batfleck vs Deathstroke film.

4 Likes

have to get WB/Discovery to agree to his pay

1 Like

I was thinking $35 million seemed pretty decent, but they I saw a claim that Disney is spending $25 million an episode on some of their Marvel shows, which’d mean an HBO Max DC “film” would be less expensive than two hours of a Marvel series. So they may need to up that average, though I agree with them that $75 sounds like too much to spend every time.

Another thing they should consider is whether these films are going to be connected and fit with each other or not. I think the animated films made a good decision in sticking with a shared continuity in most of their films in between “War” and “Apokolips War”. I think they will run into faltering interest if it is just one film after another that are all unconnected. But that partly depends how often they make 'straight to HBO Max" DC films. If they cut more TV series over the next year, they’d do well to come out with more than one film per year that is specifically for streaming

1 Like