Watchmen Thoughts

It took longer than I wanted, but I was finally able to pick up my copy of Watchmen and read it. I now understand what the hype is about. I am now really excited to dive into other Watchmen material like the movie and tv show, plus doomsday clock. Does everyone remember what they thought of the book after they read it for the first time?

2 Likes

I mean, it’s considered one of the greatest contributions to the medium for a reason. One thing I’d suggest, if you’re interested, is reading or listening to supplementary and critical material. I think that unless you’re an incredibly astute reader, there’s a lot you may have missed. On YT, I’d recommend Active Habit’s or Alt Shift X’s videos. For a great critical study in book form, I recommend Watchmen as Literature by Sara J. Van Ness.

2 Likes

I also recommend learning more about what went down behind the scenes, especially with Alan Moore. Nice to see you hop on the Watchmen bandwagon!
-M

2 Likes

You oughta check out Cartoonist Kayfabe’s interview with Dave Gibbons and them breaking down this book too
Gibbons Interview
The Materials that made Watchmen

2 Likes

I remember actually watching the movie before reading the book and not really remembering the it much when I finally got around to the comic. I’m not sure why it didn’t leave a bigger impact on me at first, but now I can easily say that I absolutely love both the book and the movie

1 Like

I like the book better than the movie. Mainly because doctor Manhattan is naked almost the whole movie. I know it’s part of his character but it’s really distracting trying not to laugh.

1 Like

I just finished reading it, and I really enjoyed it, even though it was pretty rough at times.