Watchmen HBO

I’m not feeling it.

I just am not drawn in by the primary plot. The racial angle just doesn’t draw me in. I kind of was hoping it would be more about people investigating Rorschach’s diary.

2 Likes

You’re only two episodes in though. I mean, there’s so much left. It’s just barely scratched the surface of the Watchmen history after the events of the comics. To each their own though, I really love the racial issues covered. Things like the Tulsa massacre are never touched upon in modern society. The fact that we have a series brave enough to bring light on these issues and call out white supremacy the way it does is really awesome. Watchmen has always been a political comic, and this series takes the same themes and applies them to modern history. I’m sure Watchmen lore will be touched upon more heavily in episode 3. I recommend at least giving it a try.

3 Likes

I’m familiar with the Tulsa massacre, and I’m happy a series is drawing attention to it and standing up about White Supremacists.

I have a huge section on what they really did wrong about it too, but I don’t want this to turn into a thread about how their depictions can actually scare people into being against things. I know a lot of non-White Supremacists that were legitimately scared to the point of being triggered by one thing for example.

But all of that aside - I’m not getting any feeling of Watchmen here. I’m totally feeling like they wanted to tell a story about racism and fighting White Supremacy, then just tacked Watchmen lore in it. A very small part is about Ozzymandius, the rest as been:
These bad guys wear Rorschach masks!
Here is this vehicle kind of like that one from Watchmen.
Here are “squid incursions” which make little sense because there was only one squid, that was caused by Ozy, and wasn’t really a dimensional incursion so it shouldn’t really continue.
Look, we name dropped Dr. Manhattan.

I mean you can replace all of those elements and, so far, it wouldn’t change the story one bit.

Replace Rorschach masks with Klan Hoods. Same story.
The flying Owl-ship? A helicopter.
The squids with, well, just rain.
Dr. Manhattan with… I mean he’s done nothing and the entire name drop amounted to, “He’s not here, can’t pretend to be human, and we all know this, and he’s probably not plot relevant.”

If they were going to do a show titled Watchmen then stuff that is plot relevant that are directly tied to Watchmen should’ve been front-loaded, front and center, and primary - At least in the first episode.

3 Likes

Very interesting point of view. I’d love to talk with you more in direct messages if that’s okay. Like you said, I don’t want to pull away from the main thread. But I do think there is a lot to unpack there and would love to go deeper into it. @henrywalsh77.6742

1 Like

Certainly.

1 Like

I have sent you a private message to begin our discourse @OmniLad

1 Like

But the original watchmen comic was heavily focused on political issues as well

1 Like

A different political issue with a much different environment.

The original Watchmen was about Cold War escalation and wasn’t being broadcast on a network that had the highest watched show in US history on a paid platform. That feeds into the population saturation, which is something the original Watchmen never came close to having.

Or to put it this way:

A specific element of the Watchmen TV series depicts something currently could actually happen in real life.

The events in the Watchmen TV series was set in a much less realistically possible setting and featured events that could not ever happen.

2 Likes

@Mvines17 I’m tagging you here because I failed to hit reply to give you a notification as above.

2 Likes

@henrywalsh77.6742 I really appreciate your prospective about the show. You make several great points and I can certainly see the parallels of our current political environment.

With that said, it is still a work of fiction. I just sit back and enjoy the show as I do with any work of fiction. I understand that everyone’s prospective or opinion varies and that is okay. Thank you for your constructive contribution, I really look forward to engaging in further conversations with you about DC properties and things in general.

Again great prospective @henrywalsh77.6742!

1 Like

Likewise! It was a pleasant conversation.

1 Like

At the time that Watchmen was published, it was 100% realistic that a nuclear attack could happen, so I’m not sure I agree with the statement that this show is any more realistic.

I love the show so far, find all of the Easter eggs clever, and I like the way the story is running parallel to the original. I expect that we’ll get a lot more Judd via flashbacks, and he’s going to fill the role that The Comedian played in the original.

1 Like

And that’s fine. I’m not saying you shouldn’t like it. I’m saying that it’s not doing it for me. That’s all.

3 Likes

I finally watched episode 2 and holy ■■■■ this show is already amazing. The hooded justice scene was unreal and they answered a few of the questions raised in first episode and even asked a few more. I hope this show is available on DCU at some point for those who arent yet able to watch it

“Doomsday Clock” and this series are totally unrelated. Different "what if?"s branching from the original. Note that the 7K have altered Rorschach’s writings to better fit their own views, and the editor of The New Frontiersman was definitely racist.

I want to watch it but I have dcu app and hulu and don’t want too many streaming services…we’re getting to where you need an app and a service fee for each show you want to watch lol. I canceled Netflix and may cancel hulu for Disney plus but I figure I’ll do Disney plus, dcu app and hulu but that’s it. I watched some YouTube reviews of the new series though but it isn’t the same

1 Like

I wish they would just stream it all to this app

1 Like

Yeah I’m hoping they put it on here after the season ends like they did with Krypton

You know, as soon as they showed us the DNA collection center, i immediately thought of Ozymandius and his shady genetic research…

1 Like

Nice observation! Ive noticed a few parallels between the comic and the show

1 Like