Watchmen 35th Anniversary Read-Along: Week 7, Issue #7

Rorschach’s Journal. 2021. The 35th anniversary of writer Alan Moore’s sensational, highly-influential and stunning 12-issue magnum opus, Watchmen rolls on, ever-present in the face of an unfolding mystery.

To continue the 35th anniversary Read-Along for the Comic of Comics, the @JusticeLeagueBookClub (run by myself) and the @DCHistoryClub (run by @msgtv and @TurokSonOfStone1950) will provide a fun analysis of each issue on a weekly basis, with my contributions coming from the odd-numbered issues, while DC History looks at the even-numbered issues.

How this Read-Along works:

• Watchmen is NOT available on DC Universe Infinite. To participate in the Read-Along, you’ll need to have your own copies of Watchmen (be they the single issues or a collected edition) at the ready to read along with as we move from issue to issue, week after week.

• Discussions will be posted on a weekly basis, with each discussion focusing on one issue. If you should run late, fear not good reader, as you are welcome to chime in on a particular week’s discussion at any time. Afterall, this is a 24/7 anniversary party.
    :partying_face: :tada: :champagne:

Onto the good stuff!

:books: Read:

• Watchmen #7

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Laurie and Dan rekindle their relationship to a substantial degree in this issue. Do you think this is a good idea? Also, where would you rank Dan and Laurie in the annals of comic book romances? One of the greats, just another relationship or are these two just not for one another?

• Silk Spectre and Nite-Owl rescue folks trapped in a tenement fire. This scene was also mirrored in Zack Snyder’s Watchmen movie. What are your thoughts on this scene’s transition from page to screen?

• Your thoughts on the supplementary feature of this issue, “Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas”. Was Dan a born writer, or is he better as a superhero?

• Now that we’re over halfway into Watchmen, what are your thoughts on where the series is, as of #7? Has it maintained, lessened and/or enhanced the narrative weight begun in the first issue?

• Anything else that comes to mind.

That’s the entry in our Watchmen 35th Anniversary journal for this week. Power up Archie and take flight into Watchmen #7, good reader!

3 Likes

1 Like

Ah, cacti. I know them. Bunch of pricks though, geez. :wink: :grin:

1 Like

I went all out with the photo shoot

1 Like

It’s Ansel Adams-approved, I bet.

1 Like