Watchmen 35th Anniversary Read-Along:Week 6, Issue #6

Rorschach’s Journal. 2021. The 35th anniversary of writer Alan Moore’s sensational, highly-influential and stunning 12-issue magnum opus, Watchmen rolls on, ever-present in the face of an unfolding mystery.

To continue the 35th anniversary Read-Along for the Comic of Comics, the @JusticeLeagueBookClub (run by myself) and the @DCHistoryClub (run by @msgtvand @TurokSonOfStone1950) will provide a fun analysis of each issue on a weekly basis, with my contributions coming from the odd-numbered issues, while DC History looks at the even-numbered issues.
How this Read-Along works :

• Watchmen is NOT available on DC Universe Infinite. To participate in the Read-Along, you’ll need to have your own copies of Watchmen (be they the single issues or a collected edition) at the ready to read along with as we move from issue to issue, week after week.
  • Discussions will be posted on a weekly basis, with each discussion focusing on one issue. If you should run late, fear not good reader, as you are welcome to * chime in on a particular week’s discussion at any time. Afterall, this is a 24/7 anniversary party.
    :partying_face: :tada: :champagne:

Onto the good stuff, good reader:

:books: Read: * Watchmen #6

If you should need a copy on the fly, the issue is available at Comixology, while the collected edition of Watchmen is also available at Comixology, as well as on Hoopla.

• :speaking_head: Discuss:

• In this issue, we get the deep dark look into the Rorschach backstory. How does this work for you? Does it measure up to the character we see in the rest of the series?

• What do you see on the cover, and how does that make you feel?

• If you saw something “unexpected” in a Rorschach test, would you tell the shrink the truth?

• So, Rorschach has mom issues. Does the depiction of his mother fall into a Moore misstep on showing women, or is it just realism, or should we even believe Rorschach?

4 Likes

2 Likes

Yay! More Watchmen! :tada: :batparrot:

3 Likes

Yes, it fits perfectly with his character in the rest of the story.

It’s either a butterfly, or the weird mouth of some sort of alien cat.

Yeah.

I don’t know!

2 Likes

I agree with you on the weird cat, hmmm.
One of us needs help.
Now, I think Moore’s depiction of Mommy Rorschach is a stock character, but I ‘think’ he intended it to be. This isn’t necessarily the truth but what Rorschach thinks of mommy dearest.

1 Like