Wasteland - an Eighties DC title

A wild, meta trip of a series (circa 87 to 89) that was written by Del Close and John Ostrander. Anthology concept with various artists contributing. Some of the best covers around were on display. Had the For Mature Readers only banner…which made me want to read it more!

5 Likes

I’ve wanted to read this series for a while but don’t really have a way I can get my hands on it.

2 Likes

I got some of those! Crazy stuff, gonna have to dig them up, see what the 45 yr old me thinks

1 Like

@Awesome _Squid It might be a job for eBay!

@boodikhan I have a feeling that the series could be more relevant now if unleashed again.

I read a single issue and thought it was amazing because it had two excellent stories in it, so I bought a lot more of the run and…it’s not very good. That first issue I read was a fluke. In general, the stories often have this nihilistic despair to them which makes them feel pretty similar and I remember nothing from the other issues I read. Felt like it needed more voices or something to keep ideas and tone fresh.

1 Like

That series FREAKED ME OUT! I found it legitimately scary.

The one I still remember was about a guy who, the more he worried something would happen, the more likely it would happen. I think it was about his house catching fire or something.

All I know is that story really freaked me out.

1 Like

These are all legitimately understandable reactions to a far-from-usual series. At the very least, it made some sort of memorable mark.

2 Likes

I remember the one with a girl on the cover dancing around some a post apocalypse setting. My hazy memories say she or someone turned into a fish and swam away from the stupidity of man…? I had another with a frozen hobo on the cover. Some classic david lloyd art floating thru that book

2 Likes

@boodikhan They were smart. Those covers conveyed what the reader was in for. And yeah, David Lloyd delivered.

I heard about this series on an episode of the Fire and Water podcast (an Aquaman and Firestorm podcast) and from how they described the series, it seems very much up my alley. I’m a sucker for anthologies and from what you all have been saying, it makes me want to track these down.

Also, how cool is it that Del Close the actor was part of this?

2 Likes

Fire n waters a good one. I saw a Shag post on one of these threads cryin for more firestorm, heh heh

2 Likes

Del Close - now there’a a real life character!

1 Like