Was the green lantern Corp destroyed in the late 80s

So I noticed that in the 1989 series L.E.G.I.O.N. It says the group was created after the green lantern corps was destroyed. What happened? I can’t seem to find out. Also I noticed the dark stars became the main police force of the universe after something happened to the green lantern corps. What happened? I mean I know there was a new green lantern series in the 90s and the green lanterns existed up until Hal destroyed them so I’m confused about what happened.

I see that the issue description is what makes note of this, but I think whoever wrote this blurb did so after the fact. L.E.G.I.O.N. was formed in the aftermath of INVASION!, which had little to do with the Green Lantern Corps. Much later, after the events of Emerald Twilight some 5 years after this series starts, L.E.G.I.O.N. tries to take up some of the Corps’ former responsibilities.

In 1992, the Darkstars were formed by the Controllers, an offshoot of the Maltusians who became the Guardians of the Universe. When the Green Lantern Corps was destroyed by Parallax a couple years later, that’s when the Darkstars also took up the work of the GLC.

Okay thanks! I didn’t know if the corps were destroyed then and rebuilt somehow, after all no one stays dead in comics.

I am finding out that apparently the GL corps wasn’t destroyed as much as the guardians left for a while.

1 Like

Ah yeah, that would be MILLENNIUM.

And of course that event isn’t available on here… just some tie ins with other series.