Warner Bros Casts Leslie Grace As Batgirl/Barbara Gordon In New WB/DC Movie

(from the article)

One of WBD’s most notorious post-merger decisions was deleting an entire finished feature, Batgirl, that had an estimated budget of $90 million, to claim a tax write-off, deeming it bad-to-the-point of un-releasability (how they could prove this when no one outside the production had seen it remains a mystery worthy of Benoit Blanc).

Just an FYI:

I will never, EVER have any measure of kindness in my tone for or my take on David Zaslav.

Why some may ask? That’s an easy one- not only did he willfully take away BG’s lead casting feature film debut but he also took this away from us:

My gurrrlll and my B-Man guy in the same scenes, the same movie- together. :00_batgirl1: :00_batman_1989: BTW- I have and always will credit WB for putting my guy in The Flash and NOT the Discovery rogue element.

There will be no softening of my position on this, no kumbaya moment to come down the road at some point in time.

NOT EVER

5 Likes

Think of the money WBD could raise if Zaslav agreed to be in a dunk tank for $1 per ball.

Dunk Tank Gifs: O-DAWG – The Blue and White

6 Likes

Who knows? They might be able to pay off their debt that way…

5 Likes

Shameful.

6 Likes

Yep. Gotta’ love (and by love I mean despise :angry:) how this “Studio Chief” has turned the IRS into an unwitting underwriting apparatus. No faith in the product- oh hell, we’ll just get the IRS to bail us out. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Legislation needs to be passed allowing studios only one to two write offs over a five year period.

5 Likes

Another thing I think that would curb this new trend is if some of the super big A lister actors get their reps to write in penalty payment clauses in their contracts that guarantee big money payouts if the studio decides to hold/write off the film after its finished. :+1:

7 Likes

I for one would love to see this movie (and Batgirl, obviously). People saying the only reason anyone is talking about it is because it’s being cancelled. But if we had a trailer or other promo material, people would certainly be interested.

It’s written by Samy Burch, nominated this year for an Oscar for May December, from a story by none other than James Gunn, with a great cast like Lana Condor, Will Forte, and John Cena. And it’s the freakin Looney Tunes! HELLO! :facepalm_catwoman:

7 Likes

Han-Solo-Its-true

Zaslav Palpatine needs more money so he can keep Guy Fieri in bowling shirts and Zuba pants (or whatever today’s ridiculous clothing equivalent is).
:roll_eyes: :unamused:

4 Likes

Big stars like John Cena should have contract provisions saying any movie they make will get a release. If they’re not doing it now, they totally should.

6 Likes

Agreed. I think that measures like this could at least curb underhanded accumen like that which Zaslav is practicing.

4 Likes

Note to self: If I ever write the Great American Screenplay, include a penalty clause in my contract if they decide to write off the project, especially if I am doing business with Warner Bros…

4 Likes

Or they get some of the write off

4 Likes

I am losing my mind :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The Warner Bros remake of SALEM’S LOT, currently shelved

So :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: mad

4 Likes

I’m gonna try not to jump to conclusions

4 Likes

I commend both of your takes. :+1: Here’s some heads up stuff:

The CW exec suite heavily implied that it was the WB c-suite that pulled the plug on Superman & Lois

They- most likely Gunn and Safean- claimed it was at odds with the Superman Reborn franchise so the show is ending after this season. The writing staff and cast of the series whas been significantly paired down as well. Some diligent peeps here in DCUI and across the interwbz answered this explanation for cancellation with a thoughtful and insightful question of their own: is Matt Reeves’ franchise The Batman now to be considered competition for Gunn’s series Batman: The Brave And The Bold? It’s a fair question given the logic of the reasoning given for Supes’ & Lo’s cancellation.

Two other factors in play that I believe are directly connected to this rash of cancellations are WBD’s aggressive forray into ‘Always On’ gaming

And the recently announced WB/Disney/FOX sports streaming deal

Pleez don’t interpret the info I posted above as me being in any way a Zaslav apologist. I think we all know how I feel about him

:expressionless:

I just wanted provide err’body with a little insight into how/why the entertainment content pieces might be getting shifted around and/or yanked from the chess board. :+1:

5 Likes

Live service games hinge on keeping you playing in perpetuity, drip-feeding rewards while stapling you to their underbellies with FOMO mechanics and steady grinds.

:face_vomiting:

I don’t want them to shutter their doors on the gaming front. I just want movies to keep coming out. It seems like a small ask from a movie production company.

4 Likes
5 Likes

:eyes: :flushed:

6 Likes

You know, you’d think it would occur to Zaslav that Stephen King is one person he might not want to make angry. It could mean no more adaptations from Warner Bros. of the author’s works…

6 Likes

Perhaps a visit from Mr. Barlow might change Zaslav Palpatine’s tune about releasing the picture

Aww, who am I kidding. They’d probably hit it off and become pals.

Birds of a feather and all.
:roll_eyes:

6 Likes