Warner Bros Casts Leslie Grace As Batgirl/Barbara Gordon In New WB/DC Movie

You’re probably right, to be clear. It’s just between the movies that have been slated for HBO Max, and the stuff that happened with Zack Snyder’s Justice League, which was basically “let’s put back in all the women and minorities that were cut,” it does seem to give off a bad vibe on the outside.

Also, with the amount of termoil that’s been around a lot of DC projects lately, I’m not fully convinced that the Abrams/Coates movie is happening, especially with rumors coming out today of Michael B Jordan doing his own Superman project with Val Zod…for HBO Max.

3 Likes

I get where you’re going with this, I think the difference for me is just that DC and Warner Bros as a whole are pushing towards more releases on HBO Max in general. DC has a LOT of content headed for HBO Max exclusively that don’t center around POC: The Batman spinoff, Peacemaker, Green Lantern, Titans, Strange Adventures, Constantine, Doom Patrol, and more. On top of that, WB just announced they’d be producing over 10 films for HBO Max exclusively.

My point is, I get that a lot of POC DC properties are headed to HBO Max, but that’s just because a lot of DC stuff will be headed to HBO Max in general (even a lot of ones that don’t center around minorities). This combined with WB’s other films headed to the service, I think this is simply a showcase that Hollywood is leaning into streaming services more after the success of testing releases of films both in theaters and HBO Max.

These are just my thoughts tho. I don’t have much data to support this. It’s also worth noting that I’m a White, Cishet guy who maybe just doesn’t see it the same way because of my internal biases. I’m not trying to minimize the concerns of POC fans, just hoping to be positive and give people the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

what kind of small updates do you mean?

Disney+ is making series and/or mini-series though

key-word there; rumors are not worth anything

what turmoil?

2 Likes

I mean I can’t think of anything specific, but just in the way that most good adaptations bring something new to the character while still being faithful to who they’ve always been

2 Likes

make her a hacktavist?

1 Like

They release standalone full movies on Disney+ also. Luca, Hamilton, Soul, Lady and the Tramp, Phineas and Ferb, etc.

HBO Max is doing the same thing, but including DC movies. It’s really just not that deep I don’t think.

2 Likes

you mean not buried in other content?

2 Likes

The head of WB has confirmed that they are making about 10 movies for HBOMAX because of the response they’ve seen in subscribers when top tier movies debut on the service. This is move reflects faith in this project, driving subscribers is mission 1.

6 Likes

can you be sure he isn’t just ‘blowing smoke’?

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

how can you?

1 Like

You’re suggesting he is based on…?

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to hear more about the story. Highlighting Babs’ intelligence and computer skills without making her a stereotypical IT/geek girl or cool hacker chick will be an important balance for me in addition to the Bat action. I also really hope they give Batgirl red hair… so many red haired characters get other locks, and it makes me sad.

7 Likes

It is is job to promote the service

1 Like

Welcome to DCUI @TheDetect1veXx! :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Got a super cool pic of my gurrrlll on her snazzy new BMW Scrambler here:

BG BG BG! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :purple_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart: :00_batgirl1: :0_batgirl: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :00_birds_of_prey:

5 Likes

:raised_hands:

Can’t wait for this movie! I really hope WB changes their mind and releases it in theaters, even if only for a one-night fan event. I would love to see it in IMAX!

2 Likes

I’m just sooo happy it’s finally happening. NGL- I’m kinda’ here :face_holding_back_tears: right now. MY GURRRLLL FINALLY GETS HER MOVIE.

And let’s not forget that someone else who was very pivotal in my DC history is gonna’ be there as well:

:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

3 Likes

:hugs:

2 Likes