Warner Bros Casts Leslie Grace As Batgirl/Barbara Gordon In New WB/DC Movie

17 Likes

All props go to Mighty @Mae for posting this earlier today in the Birds Of Prey thread!
:smiley: :00_batwoman: :00_harlivy: :cobb_squad: :harleys_crew: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle:

8 Likes

Itā€™s nice to see the ball rolling on this! W/ a writer, directors and a lead now all in place, hopefully we hear more about full casting over the next few months or so, and maybe it can even start filming next year! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Iā€™m a little saddened @Applejack wasnā€™t offered the role.

14 Likes

WB was probably intimidated since they knew sheā€™d be too perfect for the role :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Agreed. :+1: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

#ApplejackEternal :purple_heart:

14 Likes
8 Likes

Cool. I understand sheā€™s in the movie Into the Heights? Iā€™m gonna have to see if thatā€™s still on Max.

Now the question is, where is this movie taking place? Could it just be itā€™s own thing? Could it be in the DCEU? Is there a chance that maybe JK Simmons will continue to play the role of Jim Gordon? Maybe itā€™s in The Batman universe? She looks like she could be Jeffrey Wrightā€™s daughterā€¦

8 Likes

I wish we had the news when Heights was still on Max. Iā€™ll have to watch it when it returns.

7 Likes

Iā€™m happy to see a Batgirl movie being produced. Curious about what story theyā€™re going to tell. Also interesting that itā€™s going to be a direct-to-HBO Max movie. I wonder if that choice had more to do with the pandemic or just that DC/WB really want to push HBO Max. I thought they were kicking around a Batgirl movie for theaters. But now Iā€™m wondering if itā€™ll be related to the Batman series that was supposed to be coming out after the new Batman movie.

10 Likes

All good questions, though it might be a while before we get any answers on that front. Iā€™m also curious to see if Christina Hodson had total freedom to write the movie in whatever universe she preferred, or if its continuity was mandated by the studio

5 Likes

Only reason I can think it would only be on MAX is that WB has so little faith in it(they got an actress that has only 1 other role on her resume)

3 Likes

Or less the Batgirl movie and more superhero movies staring women and people and color. I mean, Batgirl, Static Shock, and (if rumors are true) Blue Beetle all being HBO Max exclusive? Thatā€™sā€¦a little sus, as the kids might say.

But then again, it might work in these movies favor ā€“ for some, streaming is a lower barrier of entry and more convenient. I just hope all those movies are successful.

4 Likes

Itā€™s probably just to promote HBO Max and have more exciting exclusives so people sign up.

7 Likes

The more Barbara the better.

#Babs4Ever

6 Likes

can do that with more exclusive shows

2 Likes

Iā€™m just hoping they get the personality right(unlike BoP Cassandra)

5 Likes

Iā€™d be really surprised if something like that happens again this time around. W/ Babs being in the lead role instead of being a supporting character, itā€™ll be a lot more important to ensure that her personalityā€™s accurate w/ how we generally know her to be. We should still be open to some changes, but Iā€™d probably be fine w/ some relatively smaller updates compared to movie Cass being completely different from her comic counterpart

5 Likes

Great actress! I loved her in In The Heights and Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll do great.

Only other thing Iā€™ll add is about this being a HBO Max exclusive. I get why some people are sussed out by the choice to put her on HBO Max, but I really think itā€™s more about business than it is anything to do with race. Theyā€™re simply copying the Disney+ and MCU model of having some exclusives of characters/parts of the universe on streaming to draw in money. Iā€™d understand the race thing if they werenā€™t producing a Black Superman movie with JJ Abrams already with all signs pointing to it being in theaters. Other characters like Blue Beetle are simply a lot smaller with less mainstream popularity, making it more difficult to market as a theater stop. Itā€™s much easier to have it as part of your catalogue on a streamind service where people will give it more of a chance.

DC isnā€™t perfect when it comes to diversity, but theyā€™re clearly working hard to right their wrongs and give POC/other minorities chances to shine. So I think itā€™s worth acting in good faith here.

5 Likes

This is cool, Jurnee Smollett, aka Black Canary from Birds of Prey, welcoming Leslie to the DCEU. This is giving me vibes and hope that maybe weā€™ll get a ā€œproperā€ Birds of Prey from this. We live in hope. :smiley:

9 Likes