Warner Bros. 100 Years

@DC89 @Mae @TheWifeOfJasonTodd @biff_pow

Group hig gofs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

8 Likes

:purple_heart:

7 Likes

Not to be contained merely in the DC corner of the studio: Warner Bros. giving us decades and decades of harrowing events taking place at fairs or carnivals.

5 Likes

:notes:People are strange
When you’re a stranger :notes:

“Your maggots, Michael. How are they?” :eyes:

#TheFrogBrothers
#SantaCarla

5 Likes

“What’s your name?”

“Staaarrr . . .”
:smiley:

6 Likes

Turner Classic Movies sent out its April schedule to the press and bloggers today. The entire month is devoted to the 100th anniversary of Warner Bros. Unlike that awful WB100 video, every single movie being shown was originally produced or distributed by Warner Bros. Anyway, with regards to DC, on April 23 they’re showing Superman (1980) at 7:00 PM Central and Batman (1989) at 9:30 PM Central. I’m not sure about Superman, but I think this could be the first time Batman has ever been shown on the channel. Don’t quote me on that, though!

6 Likes

Woot-woot!

:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

8 Likes
6 Likes

Hey everyone! :boom: A little announcement that there’s going to be a yearlong celebration of WB’s 100th anniversary over at the Lounge by way of monthly WALs by myself and @Vroom and we welcome and invite everyone to come join us to kick things off this coming Friday the 31st!

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/wb100-through-the-decades-wal-1920s-where-the-north-begins-friday-3-31-5pm-pt-8pm-et/3303741/

9 Likes

Next week on April 4th, Warner Brothers turns 100 years old! :partying_face:
I have to be honest here and I do mean very honest, Warner Brothers has to be my most favorite movie studio ever, they have made so many great films.
Since this topic is in DC General Discussion, let’s talk about DC movies and shows.
In my opinion my top 3 pick for best films are…

1. Superman The Movie
  2. Batman (1989)
  3. The Dark Knight

Warner Brothers in my opinion really put DC on the map with these great films,

Superman the movie really made way for Super heroes film, and this movie is a masterpiece with music and storyline, in my opinion it should’ve been nominated and win for Best Picture for 1978. Anyone seen or remembered Deer Hunter? No? Didn’t think so.

Batman 1989 movie is by far my favorite Batman film, it’s a movie I would watch over & over again. The music is probably my favorite thing about this movie. This was the first super hero film I saw on the big screen.
I remember thinking this movie could be like Adam West Batman, boy was I wrong at the time!

The Dark Knight: This movie is probably by far the greatest sequel of any super heroes films, along with Spider-Man 2, Heath Ledger has done Amazing job as the Joker that you wish you could see more of him, this movie should have win Best Picture for 2008, what a shame.
Even if Ledger haven’t tragically passaway, in my opinion The Dark Knight would’ve still be a huge hit, the movie was well written and had alot of great action. I really enjoy seeing Aaron Eckhardt playing as Harvey Dent, he did a great job.
The only downside to this movie is Batman’s voice, why he sounded different then the first film?:man_shrugging:
I really enjoy these 3 DC films the most.

Now the TV shows…

1. Batman The Animated Series
  2. Superman The Animated Series
  3. Smallville

Ok Warner Brothers made so many great DC Comics TV shows, and here’s my top 3 favorite…

Batman The Animated Series: I love pretty much about everything about this show, in my opinion it’s the greatest Animated Series ever, I remember coming home from school, on both good & bad days, I look forward to watching this, and would tape the episodes, so I can watch it at anytime!
I would collect toys and comic from the series, my favorite episodes is Joker’s Favor, I think that was well written.

Superman The Animated Series: this series was the best Superman series in my opinion, sure you’ve got Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman, but the series lack on some good villains like Brainiac, Bizarro & Darkseid, and that’s where Superman the animated series come in, it has those villains along with more Lex Luthor, better Metallo and has so many great episodes! My only complaint is that they should’ve made more then 54 episodes!

Smallville: This show tell a great story of Clark Kent’s journey to becoming Superman, it had a bit of a shakey start like most series do, by season 3, it got really better.
Can’t believe the show lasted for 10 years! The show has so many great episodes and moments, my favorite episode is from Season 3 where we see Lex and Clark’s past.
@Bar-El actually have a Smallville Club on here, and it’s really worth joining if you’re a fan of the show, right now on every Wednesday she host a podcast watch along on Talkville, and every Saturday she host a Smallville watch along.
I always enjoy them.

I’m forever thankful for these shows and movies from Warner Brothers, Thankyou Warner Brothers and DC comics.:smiley:

Well That’s All Folks!

:00_looney_tunes:

8 Likes

Four of my faves from WB’s 1970s era:

I :purple_heart: Marsha Mason in everything she’s done and this is my most fave of her catalog.

:00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1:

“Beaks? Flies with beaks?!” :laughing: (Excellent @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx)

This is Duvall’s signature performance.

8 Likes

By the way, we have a preliminary list of movies for each upcoming decade to watch for the #WB100 celebrations, but we’ll welcome any suggestions you might want to throw out there! Only thing is it has to be a WB movie (starting with the WB logo, so no Wizard of Oz or other movies WB acquired later), and relatively easy to stream, preferably on HBO Max.

8 Likes

Yay! :smiley:

8 Likes

It is mine too. In fact, I think Warner Bros. was probably the first studio I was ever aware of. After all, the Warner Bros shield appeared before every one of those classic cartoons! And then there were all the Warner Bros. shows I saw in reruns as a kid, Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, F Troop… I also discovered their classic movies as a kid. Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart, both Warner contract players, remain my 2nd favorite actress and my favorite actor to this day.

Anyway, Superman (1978) and Batman (1989) remain among my favorite superhero movies ever. Superman II (1980) is still my favorite Superman movie. And I really think with those two movies Warner Bros. pretty much invented the modern day superhero movie. I agree. I think Superman should have been nominated for Best Picture, maybe even won it. As far as TV shows, I would also throw in both Wonder Woman (the first ever DC project produced by Warner Bros.) and The Flash (1990). The former brought the Amazing Amazon to an even bigger audience and the latter opened the doors for further superhero shows, despite its flaws. Certainly, Batman: The Animated Series was a landmark. To this day, when I hear Batman in my head, it’s Kevin Conroy’s voice I hear!

9 Likes

Are you doing a watchalong for Superman and Batman when they air on TCM? It occurred to me that we really should!

6 Likes

Not for this specific project, we will be watching a movie from the 1970s and the 1980s in a few months, when it’s their turn. We are starting this month with the 1920s and in April it’s the 1930s.

8 Likes

I’ve seen The Deer Hunter. It can be said that its a very well-remembered and known classic, Mr. President. :wink:

As far as a favorite studio of all time, Warner Brothers is definitely up there for me, no doubt.

On the home video side of things, WB is easily my favorite.

Great Rao, the work that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (and Warner Home Video, prior) puts into their physical media releases across DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray is absolutely magnificent (this is coming from somebody who got out of physical media 5 years ago).

WBHE is second only to The Criterion Collection in their quality of content and the presentation(s) of said content.

The Modern Age Superman Club will have a 45th anniversary WAL shindig for Superman: The Movie later in the year. Keep your calendar clear. :superman_hv_3:

6 Likes

@Mae @Vroom If y’all don’t mind, I would like to host a watchalong for Superman and Batman when they air on Turner Classic Movies on Sunday, April 23. It’s one of the few times when my love for DC Comics and TCM intersect! I have hosted live tweets to films on TCM using the hashtag TCMParty. In fact, I seem to be the default host for A Hard Day’s Night, Stand and Deliver, and any movie from the British New Wave.

Anyway, I then have two questions for everyone.

Should I host a watchalong for both Superman and Batman on TCM at all? Or just a watchalong for only Superman or only Batman?

• Yes
  • No
  • Superman Only
  • Batman Only

0 voters

5 Likes

Totally fine by me, I might even join you if I can!

7 Likes

:rofl: :joy:
“They’re protected against pilferage under the provisions of the Guacamole Act of 1917”.

5 Likes