Warm Take: DC and Marvel Are Both Good And It's Weird That People Treat Them Like Sworn Enemies

I love comics. I love nerd sh…stuff.

There are definitely certain eras of each of the big two I prefer, but at the end of the day, I enjoy both.

I prefer most Marvel movies over DC movies. I prefer most DC animation over Marvel animation.

5 Likes

I have always liked both Marvel and DC. I think DC at its best is better than Marvel at its best, but I like both companies. I read Marvel comics on their app just like I read DC.

4 Likes

I read both Marvel and dc comics and think the same thing about them, thinking their enemies is ridiculous at this point.

However, that being said Marvel comics editorial does appear to still believe in this rivalry notion. Last year, during the pandemic, DC comics left diamond distribution to seek out a new one and when the news broke out, it did cause Marvel comics who previously shared the same distributor system as DC Comics, to pull the most corporate and childish move I personally seen in recent years.

The “staying on Wednesday covers” was something shocking to see being done today in modern times. It would seem that this initiative was done primarily out-of spite because DC Comics new distributors were able to publish their comics a day earlier. So while I don’t believe Marvel comics and DC comics aren’t enemies, clearly the publisher’s editorial teams think differently.

3 Likes

So. how do you really feel? But regarding @Daredevil recommendations, Blade 1 & 2 (& 3!) are very good. They are very 90s. As to the netflix Daredevil, I liked seasons 1 & 2, but the 3rd not so much. It is also partly the aftermath after The Defenders.

I like both Universes. I tend to lean more towards DC.

I could not agree more.

Rivalries are weird. They only exist if they are perceived to exist. For example, when I first learned of the Boston Red Sox-NY Yankees rivalry as a native New Yorker, my first reaction was, “there is?” The “Yankees suck” chant has its own charm and beauty when belted out of the mouth of a 9 year old.

6 Likes

I like the Marvel movies. They’re exciting. They’re a big interconnected saga. They’re lavishly produced. They’re funny, except when they try to be too funny (cough Thor cough). I watch some of the shows, and don’t read any of their comics.

I love DC. It’s home to Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, my favorite characters (especially Supes). I read DC comics, watch all the movies and shows, collect figures & statues, & even wear DC shirts. My past time, most of it anyway, pretty much revolves around DC.

My DC habit means I don’t have the time & money to pursue Marvel past their movies & shows. Will I follow one of their comics or get me a Wolverine figure one day? Maybe.

I like the MCU.
I love DC.

6 Likes

Oh man that’s petty

4 Likes

Absolutely. I saw somewhere that (and this is obviously a big generalization) Marvel heroes are designed to be relatable while DC heroes are designed to be aspirational. I think there’s room for both in the superhero ecosystem

3 Likes

Imagine the stories if DC and Marvel could swallow their pride and get along…

3 Likes

honestly, I feel the way that i described, just if i were not trying to be kind about it, there would be much more profanity and insults.

4 Likes

I just KNOW Peter Parker and Wally West would be besties. Thor and Wonder Woman would bond over their favorite Earth Activities :tm:, Clark Kent and Steve Rogers would team up and punch nazis together

4 Likes

I like Marvel. I’m a DC kind of bug, but I like Marvel just fine. And fans should chill out about arguing which is better.

That being said, it is much, much funnier to treat them as sworn enemies…

3 Likes

100%

I’d pay big to read a Wonder Woman/Thor crossover. To read about her battling Loki and Thor battling Ares would be priceless.

2 Likes

leans in and squints a smidge

Great Rao, its Rob Liefeld! We’ve got Liefeld, here!

sees Dennis Nedry arch an eyebrow nearby

Beans to you, Nedry! Tell Dodgson I say the same to him!

Anywho…

I was a consistent Marvel fan for 25 years (from the age of 7 to 32), so I’ve definitely got some of the House of Ideas’ ink in my comic fan blood, no doubt.

I lost interest in the brand after Avengers: Age of Ultron, which was a highly disappointing movie (the Age of Ultron comic story that preceded it however was pretty good).

I still like Marvel just fine, though. Recently, I’ve been on an X-Men kick and have been reading and re-reading some of the classic crossovers from the late '80s and early '90s. Right now, I’m reading Fall of the Mutants.

For my modern Marvel fix, I’m planning on a read of Jonathan Hickman’s X-run. I’m a huge Hickman fan (speaking of Image, his best work is The Nightly News) and a very huge X-Men fan, so I’m hoping it will rock my Jean Grey socks and then some.

6 Likes

Imagine a Live action Dark Claw, would be awesome!

5 Likes

IDK if it could ever happen, but I’d love to see an animated movie based on Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year.

5 Likes

Because they are on the same level. Besides Marvel has a lot of classic stories. I care more about Comics as a storytelling form rather then any brand loyalty.

6 Likes

Brand loyalty really is a strange thing.

DC will always be my favorite –– when it comes to cape comics, I began reading DC first and all of my favorites are DC characters, but Marvel publishes comics that are undeniably good. X-Men Red and AXE Judgement Day have to be two of the best comics on the stands right now. I prefer DC, but that doesn’t preclude me from enjoying both and it’s so strange to me that there are so many people who are fans of one or the other and have such extreme vitriol to the other. Both companies have their hits and their misses, neither of them is necessarily “better” than the other.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @akeriary :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

welcome, @akeriary

1 Like