Warm Take: DC and Marvel Are Both Good And It's Weird That People Treat Them Like Sworn Enemies

I can love The Flash and Spiderman, there is room in my heart for more than one brightly-colored supergoofball, it’s weird that somewhere along the line certain subsets of comic fans decided DC and Marvel fans should fight each other instead of just hanging out and trading comic books. Obviously, neither company is perfect, both have put out really good and really ill-advised content (see: Kyle Rayner’s tamales and Marvel’s weird treatment of female heroes). In conclusion, we’re all nerds that like guys in capes, so maybe we should chill out and be friends.

15 Likes

I completely agree but I do prefer some over the other

6 Likes

Yeah, I grew up as a hardcore Marvel fan and sort of drifted over to DC after getting repeatedly disappointed by the later Marvel movies. After I discovered BTAS it was all over. But I’m still very fond of Marvel, I still like to revisit my favorite stories and characters.

6 Likes

I actually prefer Image Comics over DC or Marvel

5 Likes

What is this “Marvel” you speak of?

5 Likes

its not that I consider marvel an enemy its just I don’t find them fun
if marvel and I went on a date we would have a good time but they are not my
kind of guy

6 Likes

Respectfully, and with the most kindness I can come up with, Marvel is… not at all on DC’s level. Yes, Marvel has offered us some great things, like the “It’s Morbin time” meme, and the Tobey M Spiderman movies. Other than that, Marvel can jump off of a toaster. I despise it, and would rather stare at a picture of a worm for 12 hours than watch/read something Marvel related. Saying Marvel and DC are on the same level is like saying Ricardo Hurtado and Neil Patrick Harris are on the same level. (That was a hyper-specific example but that’s what came to mind, ok)
DC and Marvel are destined to be enemies because DC is clearly the superior form of media and Marvel is just gonna have to keep trying and failing to be better.
That was me being as nice as possible.

6 Likes

Yup I think marvel and dc are both great!

(of course not like I need to say so lol)

6 Likes

Ok two questions, what about marvel rubs you the wrong way so much and what marvel media have you read/watched?

3 Likes

to answer the first, i am the kind of person who is annoyingly loyal- i got attached to DC first, and so became loyal to it. honestly, if i had gotten attached to marvel first i mightve had the complete opposite opinion. i also associate marvel with a few people in my life who we’re no bueno and did some damage on me- because they were both marvel fans.

to answer the second, i’ve watched iron man, and a few of the avengers movies (idr which ones), loki (which was ok I suppose) and the spiderman trilogy. i’ve read some older (i wanna say like, maybe 80s) spiderman, and the squirrel girl comics

5 Likes

I don’t want to be annoying and push recommendations on you but The Daredevil TV show and Blade 1 and 2 are awesome and might as well be dc shows since they are pretty self contained from the larger marvel universe and have the same tone/aesthetic you’d expect from a dc show/movie so if you change your tune I’d recommend trying those.

(Or don’t your choice bro)

4 Likes

i might check it out. i’ve seen a few episodes of daredevil from when my stepfather used to watch it

3 Likes

If you liked The Batman 2022 you’d probably like Daredevil.

4 Likes

to be fair to tim this is the dc forum you are more likely to find people who like dc more
or not like marvel at all here then anywhere else I think

5 Likes

one of my most favorite movies ever- i’ll probably check the show out

3 Likes

Of course, I was just curious as to why @basicallytimdrake has such a passionate hatred towards marvel,

And for the record I don’t care if any of you hate marvel, even I hate marvel sometimes lol.

5 Likes

I would also like to say I have read marvel comics and watched many movies so I have
tried to like them I just don’t its nice you like both though

5 Likes

I got the first four volumes of deadpool and read a lot of them but even though there were
many funny parts there was a lot that was why darker then dc would ever go
there were lobotomies that they showed being done and people screaming as they were being dragged away to have them done people locked in rooms with shriveled limbs
people were kidnapped for a long time having mind games played on them dc does not really do stuff like that

4 Likes

I didn’t choose the DC life, the DC life chose me, which is legitimately true.

I was forced to watch Batman 1989 in school and I fell in love instantly despite thinking I was going to hate it (because I had no interest in the superhero genre).

Same thing happend with Marvel, but with a different result. It was forced upon me, but it just isn’t for me. It also doesn’t help that they’re owned by Disney who - believe it or not - a have a major bone to pick with, especially with the people who run it and their “after hour” activities, which don’t look good for their brand.

But I understand that everyone is different. I understand that to many both are still comic books that just have different characters and different universes. DC to me is just more interesting, but again that’s just me.

I do like Chris Evans though… he can get it :fire:

8 Likes

thank you for your contribution mr. murdock

5 Likes