Vicki Vale: A Fun Comprehensive History

HOLY MATRIMONY READERS! Our Vicki Vale adventures continue!

This time we’re only focusing on a single comic, Batman #79, because it’s a big one….in terms of Vicki. Batman and Vicki Vale get engaged. Not Bruce Wayne and Vicki….Batman and Vicki. Yea, it’s weird.

Here’s the cover…

Unless they’re shopping for rings at night, I have questions about how Batman is able to see the Bat-Signal. And now the glorious splash page…

The narrative of the splash page is based around the premise that a married Batman can’t fight crime. Gordon has a wife and son (they’re another crazy Golden Age story), and nothing stops him. Same with everyday firefighters and police officers. Yet everyone takes it as a given that Batman can’t.

The Shah of Nairomi is visiting Gotham and it’s a super big deal. The State Department meets with Gordon and Batman to say EVERYTHING must go super well. They have to pull out all the stops for this dude. Vicki meets the Shah briefly at a society party…then the next day…

I have a huge problem with the State Department telling Vicki how to handle a marriage proposal. The Shah’s feelings are super important but screw Vicki I guess?

And her editor threatening to fire her….ugh

Vicki catches up to Batman to make her case.

“Only because of the seriousness of the world situation.” Is this actually happening??

The Gotham Gazette photo is hilarious. Batman is MAD. And that headline is practically a paragraph.

The guys making fun of Batman buying flowers. Sheesh. These comics were brainwashing young boys to think that showing affection was somehow emasculating. Vicki’s reaction at the end of the page didn’t make it easier. Who wrote this, the Little Rascals?

One of Vicki’s rivals suspects the engagement is fake, so she decides to turn the heat up by placing an anonymous tip…

The State Department is still here? Days, if not weeks, have passed. Why are they so invested in this? Go back to Washington. I love Batman’s reaction to the newspaper. Look at Dick when he sees the circus. Shaking from PTSD?

“I want to be Mrs. Batman” is such a ridiculous statement. This feels like a Superman story. Believe it or not, Lois Lane used the phrase “Mrs. Superman” a lot during this era, and I feel like this was their way of trying to capture that setup.

It’s interesting to note that this is the first super overt declaration of love Vicki has made for Batman. In past stories she’s definitely held him in high regard, and fawned over him, but this is the first time it’s been discussed. A shift starts to begin here, with Vicki chasing after Batman romantically.

I have to wonder if Vicki’s thoughts ever drift to Bruce Wayne. Is she wondering what he thinks about this engagement news? Obviously Bruce and Batman are the same person, but Vicki doesn’t know that for sure. Either way, she doesn’t seem to give Bruce’s feelings a thought here.

Why are the State Department guys STILL HERE?! Go away!

I love how empty the early version of the Batcave is. Once again everyone assumes married men can’t pal around with their buddies. Dick, you’re still his ward. It’s not like Vicki is sending you to boarding school. Although that last statement does raise questions about how a marriage would work. Vicki can’t move into Wayne Manor, at least publicly. Would she just change her address to the Batcave? Funnily enough, the conclusion of the story somewhat addresses this dilemma.

I’m bothered by the fact that Vicki is largely silent on this scene as everyone argues over her fate. “Vicki will call off the wedding.” “Who will she marry?” “Will she marry the Shah?”

She’s standing right there guys, maybe let her answer these questions. Either way, it comes off as her fate being decided for her.

Vicki doesn’t come off the best in this story, with the lying and scheming, but such was the way for Golden/Silver Age love interests. I’m not sure if I can classify this as Silver Age yet…but this feels like a Silver Age story for sure. The plot beats here are identical to SO MANY Lois Lane stories of this era.

Next time:

Vicki takes Dick on a date in Batman #81!

Vicki hosts a Batman cosplay party in Batman #85!

Batman shames Vicki publicly in Batman #87!

Vicki spots an imposter Batman in Detective Comics #216!

Don’t miss it!

4 Likes