Vicki Vale: A Fun Comprehensive History

How’s everyone doing this week?
It’s time to check in with Vicki again.
Vicki’s next appearance is in World’s Finest #57. It’s so brief, and as of this writing it’s not on her chronology list from DCUGuide or Mike’a Amazing World. There’s a rumor going around (for the flimsiest reasons) that Bruce is a crime boss. Vicki, Gordon and a few other friends show up to support him.

Vicki is blonde again! Boy, it didn’t take much for people to turn on their best friends back in the Golden Age. Bruce’s name is cleared at the end of the story, and we see his friends return to apologize…except for Vicki. Chalking that up with artist oversight though.
Next is Batman #73, one of my favorite early Vicki stories.

The first time I read this, I was annoyed by this scene. The Vicki we met in her first few appearances so FEARLESS. She would never act like this. It turns out there’s an explanation…

DANG! I love her making herself at home in Wayne Manor, and lighting up a cigarette in satisfaction. Batman and Robin capture the crooks, and return to a very happy Vicki…

Check out Dick’s collar yank!

I LOVE this page so much. Dick’s freakout in panel 2, Vicki looking positively EVIL in panel 4 (is that a Hitler portrait behind her???), and Dick’s expression in panel 5. It turns out Batman swapped the recording when Dick wasn’t looking. He made Dick nervous because he wanted to teach him a lesson about being observant.

I hate Bruce talking to Vicki like that….even if she went a bit overboard this time. To be honest, everyone’s behavior is a bit jerkish (Batman to Robin, Vicki to Batman, Bruce to Vicki).
Vicki appears next in Batman #75, with a new look I’m not crazy about.

Vicki is now working for Vue Magazine. I knew this was going to change at one point. There will be a few more name changes over the years. On the next page, we actually see the Vue offices and a sample magazine cover.

As you can guess, there’s something evil afoot, so Batman and Robin get involved to put a stop to it. Vicki goes blonde again, and appears in World’s Finest #65. The world thinks Batman is dead, and Vicki grieves with Gordon and Robin.

Everyone takes turns recounting their story, and Vicki loses it during hers…

I like Gordon comforting Vicki. Because they’re the only two supporting cast members (aside from Alfred) during this period, there’s lots of scenes of them together in this era. I haven’t shared all the images, since I’m only doing a few pages or panels per issue…but if you’re reading from the beginning there’s a lot of Gordon and Vicki hanging out and comforting each other.

Next time I’m only covering one issue…because it’s a big one…a crazy one!

Vicki Vale and Batman get engaged in Batman #79!!
Don’t miss it!

4 Likes