Vicki Vale: A Fun Comprehensive History

Is everyone having a good quarantine?
Let’s travel back to simple times by continuing our journey thought the life of Vicki Vale.
Our next book is Batman #61. The Caped Crusader is swinging after crooks and one of them shoots the batrope, causing the Dark Knight to make a three story fall. A crowd gathers around the injured Batman, and he’s taken to a doctor. His broken leg becomes a big news topic.
Vicki visits Wayne Manor, hoping to catch Bruce with a broken leg.

Vicki doesn’t buy this for a minute, and tells Bruce to prove her wrong by taking her out dancing later that night.
The rest of the story involves Batman fighting crime in a wheelchair. Not even a futuristic wheelchair like Professor X has….just a normal standard wheelchair.
It turns out that Batman’s legs aren’t broken, it was just a wacky misunderstanding. Out of hot water, Bruce picks Vicki up for their date.

I dig that final panel of them dancing.

Vicki appears next in Detective Comics #164. A journalist is doing an expose on the Bat-Signal, and he interviews Vicki Vale.

I love this version of Vicki. She’s not afraid to jump into a crime scene. As you’ve gathered, Vicki is using the Bat-Signal and her clothes to send an SOS. Batman and Robin answer it, saving her, but the Bat-Signal gets the credit.

So now Batman and Robin want the kiss from her? Sometimes Batman digs her affections, or other times he’s uncomfortable by it. Just for fun, let’s note Vicki’s apartment number here…23…in case it comes up later. I have no idea, and I’m assuming it won’t.

Vicki makes a brief appearance at the beginning of Detective Comics #167.

I don’t have much to say about Vicki’s presence, but can we talk about the fact that hypnosis sends you back in time?!
Vicki appears next in Batman #64.

Now Bruce wants to be rid of her, but a few issues ago he was jealous that the Bat-Signal got a kiss when he didn’t.

They’re not even trying to hide their secret identities. Vicki notes the Bat-Signal, and he immediately says he has to go home. Dick talks about answering the Bat-Signal before Vicki has even finished walking away from them. I don’t know who is putting in less effort, Bruce or Vicki.
A criminal fugitive, who kind of looks like Lex Luthor from the 1990’s, hides out at Vicki’s place.

Vicki has a “kid sister” named Anne who is in college. She’s probably never mentioned again, but a cool bit of trivia.

I remember Gotham Heights being Tim Drake’s neighborhood in the 1990’s. I didn’t realize it was established this early.

The one time Vicki doesn’t suspect Bruce is Batman and it has to be now…

The Bruce Wayne clumsy act is funny, and the sight of Batman changing into his costume in broad daylight behind a picket fence is equally amusing. Batman and Robin trick the Lex Luthor knockoff into lifting the threat from Anne Vale, and then they capture him.

That’s it for now!
NEXT TIME:
Vicki and Gordon throw Bruce under the bus in World’s Finest #57!
Vicki gets CRAZY EVIL in Batman #73!
Vicki gets a new magazine and a new admirer in Batman #75!
Vicki witnesses the death of Batman in World’s Finest #65!

5 Likes