Vicki Vale: A Fun Comprehensive History

Alright, it’s time to continue our journey with Vicki!

We begin with Detective Comics #152, and a really weird date.

Since I’m still keeping track, I’ll note that Vicki still works for Picture Magazine.

I have so many problems with Bruce’s plan. People are actively getting shot, and this whole counterfeit money, “talk to the manager” thing wastes so much and could potentially cause more lives to be lost.

What if the waitress took the money and didn’t check it? Then Bruce would’ve had to come up with a different explanation, and he would’ve committed a crime!

Batman goes after a criminal called the Goblin, and gets bonked on the head.

This amuses me. I love how Vicki calls Batman a “wonderful man” and Bruce a “poor boy.”

In Batman #56 Gotham was going gaga for crime reporter named Jack Starr, making Batman feel forgotten.

Vicki is blonde again, and Batman has forgotten all the times she’s proven useful. “She’s going to gum things up for us again.” Rude. She’s the only one supporting you right now.
After Vicki photographs a battle later on, Robin continues the “Vicki pile on” by calling her a pest.

Later on, she tags along by hopping in the Batmobile.

No security…not even a locked door?

As you can see, the attitude towards Vicki is beginning to shift.

Vicki shows up next in Detective Comics #155, which has her first cover appearance.

Way to be subtle Dynamic Duo.

Vicki and Bruce have another date that ends bizarrely…

Boy that escalated quickly…

Nobody ever joke around Vicki…“I bet I can play basketball better than that guy…”…she’ll have you in the NBA minutes later.

It’s also weird that this guy was willing to risk his reputation by giving his detective agency to Bruce Wayne.

This such a long way to go to win an argument Vicki…

I also feel bad for Bruce because it seemed like she was just spending the dinner bashing him.

Anyway, Bruce does the detective thing and has fun with it.

It’s a cute moment. I like it. Even after Bruce stops the criminals and proves he’s a good detective, Vicki still ends the issue telling him that he sucks compared to Batman. Oh well.

Vicki’s next appearance is Detective Comics #157. Robin has been given a horse, and the Dynamic Duo come up with a cover story that Robin will “rent” a space in Bruce Wayne’s stables. Vicki, who is now blonde again, doesn’t buy this for a minute.

Bruce only half-heartily tries to throw off. It doesn’t even seem like they’re trying here. Bruce Wayne out of costume is hanging out with Robin in costume…with no Batman or Dick Grayson in sight. Vicki would have to be dense not to suspect something.

That’s it for now!
Next time…

Vicki continues her secret identity hunt in Batman #61!
Vicki uses the Bat-Signal as a clothes dryer in Detective Comics #164!
Egyptian intrigue in Detective Comics #167!
Vicki gets a house-guest in Batman #64!

Don’t miss it!

5 Likes