Valid question

My most recent post thread got removed due to being considered Pregorative and inappropriate however all I was trying to point out was the following: But I was simply trying to point out that in a way DC comics and Marvel comics and others historically with characters such as Wonder Women and Black Widow with Eternal Youth and Slowed aging Super powers the prior even more so than the latter is actually Ageism and at times sexism even Pregorative inappropriate in itself joint prejudice against female gender individuals and characters especially if you had any potential readers of the Pro-ageism movement mindset.

Please reconsider the removal because if youthful appearances and young characters and youthful appearances but older characters characters are to be shown in more revealing skin outward appearances (Skimpy) fashions characters such as

among so many other examples.

It would also only be fare in terms of true inclusivity to include doing the same with older versions of the same characters who aren’t neccessarily Eternal Youth and Slowed aging related youthful appearances and young characters and youthful appearances but older characters characters. So if you are not to do that then just the same again to be fair it would be if covering up the skin ie removing the skimpy fashions of older versions of characters than the same should be constantly done to the younger versions of characters.

Which is making me wonder if in fact is DC comics being character visual Ageism (basically prejudice towards characters with obvious fully all over their individual bodies obviously with signs of gradual aging outward appearances and not solely with particular facial features and the hair although unless DC comics have characters being obviously having used anti-aging beauty regimen products and even anti-aging cosmetic surgery work done mixed in still ageism mixed in).

3 Likes

Paragraph breaks are your friends

5 Likes

Thanks I tried paragraphing that first comment of mine however I am honestly not sure if I grammar wise did it correctly.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, DC characters are intellectual property so it is difficult for them to grow or age. Batman and Superman have to be eternally 28 years old. Luckily we have stories like The Dark Knight Returns and the Earth-2 Batman and Superman that have aged,

I also liked Mike Grell’s Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters. He showed Ollie aging in real time.

The present: Ollie’s hair line is receding just a little.

The Past: Ollie’s hair is thicker and longer.

The next pages are from throughout the series where Ollie contemplates growing older with Dinah.

And he feels his age catching up with him.

It continues in the continuing series as he continues to age in real time. The is the exception not the rule.

5 Likes

It is much more readable now.

5 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

It simply seems that even as intellectual property it should still be heavily considered for something for incorporation in order to be truely fully inclusive rather than various amounts of semi inclusivity as it technically should be considered.

2 Likes

its comics a world where the story never ends and so the people in them can never really get older but they have been talking about batmans age a lot in the comics of late and its
not the only time in the 70s he was told he was to old to do his job anymore and to go set in his rocker old man it was the mayor that said it so though he may not show it that much he is older then he use to be

2 Likes

Basically, your looking for either not so much sexualization or giving the same kind of focus on older female characters, correct?

I can get on board with either one. This does seem to be an issue that goes beyond DC and comics, plaguing the entertainment industry as a whole. But comics do get pointed out a lot because of the sometimes unnatural positions or actions they force the characters into to make them look “more appealing” to keep it PG

4 Likes

And even versions involving the individual characters having individual freedom to either character self admittedly chosen to combat visual aging and/or individual characters self admittedly chosen to within various gradual variations to embrace visual aging even potentially possibly embracing even the arguably commonly viewed less ideal forms of signs of visual aging in adjacent and addition to embracing the the arguably commonly viewed ideal and more ideal forms of signs of visual aging. Which arguably would provide better additional foundation for enhancing gender inclusivity and individuality inclusivity with in comics, characters, story telling, world building , and development/evolution and character building and development/evolution. Like Diana Prince aka Wonder women even versions of Diana Prince aka Wonder women and other similar types of female characters having eternal youth immortality or slowed aging arguably undermines in a way the feminist movement/philosophy/ethics/values of Diana Prince aka Wonder women and her fellow Amazons. Because in a way when only males and male gendered characters to gradually visually age in conjunction to other parts of gradual aging is like sexism towards female gender and for some depending on individual perceptions of such misogynistic form of Ageism and Ageism towards those who visually age whether by choice or not so much by choice or some where in between. I am saying this (since on a Discord channel discussion someone else disagreed with a similar previous statement of mine) because everyone should now that visual perceptions such as skin color and other physical and biological/genetic traits and even ethnic orientated/related cultures and sub cultures even religions and faiths within overall civilization and civilizations and society and societies. Is often factors to other types and forms of prejudices such as Racism.

1 Like

I just think getting old is scary but unavoidable, so enjoy our bodies while we can. There also is such thing as living for too long.

1 Like

However I do understand desires to live longer but there still seem should be limits and checks to longevity extension such as upto 200 something years or so and it would be interesting if in adjacent and addition to what ever means to such amount of longevity extension could in appearance in terms of visual aging and physical aging could gradually end up looking like in some variation/fashion/form gradually looking like up to and/or close to this amount provided by the images and combination of images.

Super extremely elderly Madame Xanadu

1 Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I think part of the “characters never aging” mostly stems from the characters always being around for a long time due to popularity. Superman has been around since the late 1930’s alongside with Batman. Now, before someone jumps on me about other younger characters taking over the Batman and Superman mantles (because I know you Internet), keep in mind that the general public that doesn’t read comics knows who Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are, not to mention any of the older folks who read early Batman and Superman comics as a kid but don’t keep up to date today, they won’t know who currently holds the Batman and Superman title unless they jump in now.

Also… it’s fiction, it’s entertainment. I’m all for characters being hot as long as it goes for both male and female characters. I don’t like double standards as much as the next person, so as long as there are hot male and female characters at the same time, I don’t see the problem (I mean my whole persona here is about appreciating hot characters in general, especially Jason Todd). At the same time though, there are also characters that are not sexualized as much, and that’s great too.

3 Likes

Well it seems that a additional alternative in adjacent to marvel comic’s alternative that in adjacent/ addition to this (has its own issues and problems to it but not neccessarily in terms of social issues and problems as this solution arguably has although with my stated Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow Marvel does do this format of solution also) to that sort of thing seems to me could be officially established official practice/policy of multigenerational saga form of characters/character identities in terms of superhero/superheroine, supervillain/super villainess, and anti-hero/anti-heroine and such connecting character secret identities like part of multigenerational inheritance. Similarily to what was done in DC comics Else world Superman and Batman Generations but again as a officially established official practice/policy rather than a one time thing and even incorporation of more possible alternative futures, gradual time skips/time jumps/ flash forwards, and even Albert Einstein’s special relativity Time Dilation twin Paradox exploration storylines in repetitive variations and more such all for character gradual aging age progressions story telling in terms of natural long way around gradually living through gradual passage of time storytelling for individual character and individual characters and individual groups and families, societies and civilizations.

2 Likes

And sexual and visual hotness/gorgeousness/beauty is all in perceptions like the phrase beauty/hotness/gorgeousness is in the eye of the beholder and also how individuals perceive and carry themselves especially whether or not they are insecure and vain and such about their visual outward appearances including gradual progression of visual aging of visual outward appearances. Which is where as I had mentioned already comes in the visual aspects of prejudices such as racism and ageism but in this discussion ageism.

3 Likes

I’m reading everyone’s posts here and while I was going to make one myself (which was going to be a very long one, to the point I was going to exhaust myself typing lol), all I’ll say is that there’s nothing wrong with a fictional character looking hot/sexy and has that sex appeal to them.

I feel that those who think it’s wrong for characters to look sexy or that it offends them, NO OFFENSE intended, but I think that’s something the offended are going to have to figure out themselves. They don’t have to read stories that have sexy characters if all they’re going to do is just have a problem with it and try to force companies to change them.

If the sexuality of the character is being used as the main drive or point in the story, then I get why it would be a problem. There’s much more to a character than how they look. But in most cases, it’s just how they look. They’re superheroes who do lot’s of moving and they’re going to be very fit and attractive to many. That’s it!

4 Likes

100%

2 Likes

Its not so much that but more of the if I understood correctly the officially stated goal of trying to be gradually more inclusive and so as part of gradually becoming truly more inclusive and not necessarily having potential possible consequences gradually down the road within society because of entertainment and such even toys that there is just ideal standard and ideal possibilities of standards to sexuality and its connected perceived beauty/hotness/gorgeousness. relatively speaking recently or so Barbie dolls(along with other things) and entertainment industries usage of portrayal of real life celebrities previously having just one body type thin and gradually potentially/possibly thinner being the ideal visual sexiness/hotness/gorgeousness/beauty had potentially possibly and gradually unintended consequences of being factors/contributions to the Anorexia/ Anorexia (an-o-REK-see-uh) nervosa(is an eating disorder characterized by an abnormally low body weight, an intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted perception of weight. People with anorexia place a high value on controlling their weight and shape, using extreme efforts that tend to significantly interfere with their lives.

To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia usually severely restrict the amount of food they eat. They may control calorie intake by vomiting after eating or by misusing laxatives, diet aids, diuretics or enemas. They may also try to lose weight by exercising excessively. No matter how much weight is lost, the person continues to fear weight gain) issue in society. And so for example Mattel and its Barbie Doll Toys worked hard/extra hard to put out more body type and racial/ethnicity inclusive Barbie Doll Toys line. Even if by now it has gradually have proven controversial move on Mattel’s part with its Barbie Doll Toys.

1 Like

And I didn’t mean to offend simply trying to point out that as part of conscious choices to be gradually increasingly more inclusive there obviously undoubtedly would need to be more gradually eventually done done. Then there has already been done which has been a great job so far.

2 Likes