Urine Trouble

I’ve been noticing a theme in recent DC films, and I was wondering if it was something we might come to better understand together. Because personally, I am mystified.

Exhibit A, Batman v. Superman: “Granny’s Peach Tea.”

Exhibit B, Aquaman: “Show-off. You could have just pissed on it.”

Exhibit C, Shazam!: “Did you know that Roman soldiers brushed their teeth with their own urine?”

The pattern is clear, and yet inscrutable in its nature. Why exactly are the filmmakers of the DCEU so fixated on pee jokes? Why are they featured in 3 of the last 5 DC movies? Is it secretly building to something? Is there some kind of deep DC pee lore that’s utterly lost to me? Or does everyone just really think pee is that funny? And why do I need to go to the bathroom so bad right now?

Please, discuss. I need to know why this is happening.

11 Likes

Compared to what it could be, I’m glad they’re just doing pee jokes.

4 Likes

Bah.

I should have respected the Spoiler tag. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Still better than Jar-Jar. He stepped in crap. Oh, I’m sorry “icky, icky goo!”

:wink:

4 Likes

Pee jokes are the the new fart jokes, haven’t you heard bro!

4 Likes

@HubCityQuestion Haven’t you heard? The DCEU will be crossing with the View Askewniverse in Justice League 2, featuring the Golgothan’s brother, Pisseus.

3 Likes

You better watch out, calling anything in BvS a joke! That was just a gritty, grounded acknowledgement that the REAL WORLD isn’t all daisy farts and kitten giggles! There’s pee! Dark, threatening, intense pee!

7 Likes

Perhaps oddly, I’m the one going to give a serious answer. It’s because people often try to act more adult by behaving in a juvenile fashion. For filmmakers, that leads to urine jokes, whether they or trying to make things seem adult, or trying to make fun of the use of juvenile things as being adult.

Side note: Shazam! may be different-- I haven’t seen it yet-- most of the characters ARE juveniles.

And, Captain Marvel did spend his early days in a publication called WHIZ COMICS–

OK, lost that serious vibe.

5 Likes

Urine? Nuh uh, ur OUT!

See, it’s a play…on…the…thing and the deal :slight_smile:

I don’t remember Man of Steel, Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman having a tinkle of a urine reference. Did they, and it just hasn’t been mentioned here?

4 Likes

UPDATE: there’s another piss joke in the new Aquaman movie.

10 Likes

Maybe I should not say what I did to Joker’s Mouth last night. Contrary to what he said it was funny.

4 Likes

I would like to flag this comment for deletion

6 Likes

:open_mouth:

I don’t want to know

4 Likes

Happy DCU anniversary @biff_pow

4 Likes

I mean, I’m assuming DC owns the rights to Fawcett’s Pee Wee Pete, right?

More likely, though, it’s hinting at the inevitable Section Eight film adaptation, featuring Six-Pack and his bladder control issues.

3 Likes

And Super-Pets!
images

9 Likes

I had a day at work with plenty of time to think of explanations.

1- Many actors and cosplayers say they cannot pee in their costume. This likely moves to the writers (I would not be surprised if many of them put the suits on for fun).

2- Many TV and movies creators are known for 80+ hour weeks, and they are told to write what they know. They know how hard taking a bathroom break is, so they put it in.

1. There are many jokes (some have made the comics) about the trunks being to hide wetting themselves in fear. If the creators are debating trunks or no trunks it would bring attention to the detail that superheroes have to pee, which can lead to writing about it.

2. I think this is the real reason. All of your examples are from either horror directors or a guy who has also directed horror movies, and they are known for loving jokes about wetting oneself when scared.

3 Likes

At first I thought that this was about how Batman magically doesn’t ever use the bathroom during his patrol nights and missions… oh how wrong I was.

2 Likes

BatJokes shippers come get y’alls fanfic juice :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Bat Bathroom Schedules. I make Sheldon Cooper look disorganized.

1 Like