Unpopular Opinions?

I don’t think anything we see is true. Because I don’t find the Joker interesting, personally. Any real interest he has is completely separate from his origin. It’s not where he came from, it’s what he does that defines him.

@Mr_Morbach I would agree with what you are saying, but I don’t think that’s what Moore or most of the big fans of Killing Joke who love to talk about “two sides of the same coin” think is so great about the story. I think they genuinely think Batman has more in common with the Joker than with those he helps. (This is, btw, the same reason I loathe the ending of Scott Snyder’s Endgame.)

1 Like

I am nothing like him. I have nuch more in common with Penguin, Catwoman, and Maxie.

1 Like

I agree. :wink:

1 Like

Hm. I can’t say I’ve seen many arguments like that regarding TKJ, but I don’t see that more than a surface-level yin/yang, “can one exist without the other”, thing, since Joker “represents chaos” and Batman “represents order”, all that jazz, and probably wouldn’t sound so profound to an experienced philosophy professor.
I don’t know about Moore feeling Bats and Joker are the same. He actually looks back on the book with some regret, and not just because of what happened to Barbara.

As for readers and fans of the story, people have a tendency to see things that aren’t necessarily there, or hyperbolize minute, innocuous elements (which is why I tend to disagree with fan-ships and be skeptical of claims of some characters allegedly being “coded” in some way). They can make an argument and it can even be compelling, but in some cases it may just be projection or a misinterpretation.

2 Likes

Totally disagree. I need an explanation for why that blasted clown makeup never washes off when he falls into a body of water. :stuck_out_tongue:

Joker in water 1
Joker in water 2

By the way, these images are from two different issues of Batman from 1941, and they’re hardly the only times that it happens that year. The Clown Prince of Crime falls into the water a lot!

4 Likes

Aquababy is the best member of the Aquaman Family

4 Likes

Joker needs to be treated as a normal villain instead of being a spectal villan

2 Likes

He could have been if he had lived.

Porm and Topo are tough competition though.

2 Likes

Problem with that is he sells so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

People love seeing me impale batarangs in him.

2 Likes

Edgy realist Joker doesn’t really work, the over the top Joker is the best

3 Likes

Who writes the edgy realist, and who writes the over the top?

1 Like

I miss Dan Jurgens on Action Comics. His Rebirth run was incredible, but it felt like whatever ending he had was rushed just so they could bring in Bendis who, I’m gonna be honest, didn’t do a great job on the Super-titles.

5 Likes

Agreed.
I liked Bendis’ Ultimate Marvel work, but his idiosyncrasies and habits (like dragging out dialogue) really had me considering dropping Action (the only DC title I buy anymore).

3 Likes

This is unpopular? :wink:

(Kidding, I know it is. But it’s an opinion I share, at least partly :wink: )

3 Likes

Bendis is coming.

1 Like

Can we (and by “we”, I mean the comics community collectively) please find something other than Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween, or Batman: Hush to recommend as “Batman for Beginners”?

6 Likes

which comment?

The Dark Knight Returns?

1 Like

That’s one I often hear beginners shouldn’t read.

1 Like