Understanding DC Universe Clearance Levels

Clearance Level 0 — New

By default, all new users start out at Clearance Level 0, meaning clearance has yet to be earned. These are visitors who just created an account, and are still learning the community norms and the way your community works. New users’ abilities are restricted for safety – both theirs and yours.

(We also want to hide any “advanced” functionality from new users to make the UI less confusing for them as they gain more experience.)

Users at Clearance Level 0 cannot

• Send personal messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button
  • Flag comments
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post
  • Post more than 3 topics in 24 hours
  • Edit their own comments after more than 24 hours

Clearance Level 1 — A Hero’s Helper

At DC Universe, we believe reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community (or comic book shop, or subway ride, or…). If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first clearance level.

Get to clearance level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 comments
  • Spend a total of 15 minutes reading comments

Users at clearance level 1 can…

• Use all core DC Universe Community functions; all new user restrictions are removed
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag comments
  • Mute other users

Clearance Level 2 — Beginning Hero

Members keep coming back to your community over a series of weeks; they have not only read, but actively participated long and consistently enough to be granted with full citizenship.

Get to clearance level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 2 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 5 likes
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 75 comments
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading comments

Users at clearance level 2 can…

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to DMs making a group DM
  • Ignore other users
  • Can edit their comments anytime

Clearance Level 3 — Hero

Heroes are the backbone of our community, the most active readers and reliable contributors over a period of months, even years. Because they’re always around, they can be further entrusted to help tidy up and organize the community.

To get to clearance level 3, in the last 30 days…

• Must have visited at least 10 days
  • Casting at least 10 likes
  • Entering at least 50 topics
  • Replied to at least 25 topics
  • Reading at least 100 comments
  • Must not have received more than 3 spam or offensive flags (with unique comments and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended or silenced

All of the above criteria must be true to achieve clearance level 3. Furthermore, unlike other clearance levels, you can lose clearance level 3 status . If you dip below these requirements in the last 100 days, you will be demoted back to A Hero’s Helper. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Clearance Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

Users at clearance level 3 can…

• Access the highly exclusive Iceberg Lounge category, where members kick back and discuss all the random goings-on
  • Make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)

Club Leaders

Club Leaders have been around a long time and set a positive example for the community through their actions and their comments. You have become such a trusted and active member that hey! Maybe you want to start your own club! This responsibility is not granted lightly, but we love recruiting Club Leaders. Please contact the moderators directly if you are interested in starting a club! We can’t wait to hear from you and work together to make it happen.

Get to Club Leader Status by…

• Contacting Moderators and getting a sweet club going
  • Manual promotion by staff only

Club Leaders can…

• Organize dedicated events
  • Gain access to a secret Category to discuss planning with other Club Leaders
  • Assign their club a custom flair for all members to proudly wear
  • Contact all members of their club with a handy group tag

We believe this clearance system has been a success so far, as it leads to stronger, more sustainable communities by carefully empowering members, regulars, and leaders to curate and lead their own communities. But like everything else in the world, the clearance system is evolving over time. We’ll continue to update this post with any changes as details progress! Please feel free to contact the moderator group directly if you have any questions or concerns.

213 Likes

I have to say, I really enjoy the “Clearance Level” concept! It’s like unlocking achievements for being active in the community, and as a gamer, it speaks to me lol You ladies and gents have really gone all out to take this community far beyond version 1.

Thank you!

125 Likes

Them: this is what it takes to become a Superhero
Me: so you’re saying there’s a chance :heart_eyes::crossed_fingers:

86 Likes

So… if you lose Level 3 clearance, you go back to Level 1, not 2? :grimacing:

47 Likes

Interesting.

17 Likes

Hhhmmmm…… interesting

19 Likes

Your right @Batboy84 I did not noticed that on my own. I have read that post at least 15 times and I took you pointing it out. Thanks :flash_hv_5:

30 Likes

Level Up… Level Up… Level Up…
I need some Power Points or something…

“in brightest day, in darkest night…”

41 Likes

Hello! I am Kelex. I can assist you with matters like community features and more. To find out everything I can do, say @Kelex display help.

32 Likes

Lmao

15 Likes

Oh Kelex! Finally, the Community is graced by your appearance. Awesome_Squid must be rejoicing at the moment.

16 Likes

I completely agree!!! They killed it!

11 Likes

OK…been banging my head against the wall on this.

There are two items I can’t seem to figure out how to do to fulfill all the clearance level 2 requirements.

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to DMs making a group DM

I’ve done both of Kelex’s tutorials and neither of these is covered.
I do not see a " “Invite others to this topic” button in any topic I view or reply to. (Both on iOS app and Mac browsers.
Neither of these items seem to be covered in any of the FAQs I find.

Argh!!!

Any help, suggestions, pointers for these two items would be appreciated.

thanks

13 Likes

I have the password but does anyone see where to actually submit it? Do you have to be at level 2 first? Also, don’t think I’m giving you the password… fine it’s “Gullible.”

11 Likes

And here I thought it was “Swordfish.”

7 Likes

I’m at level 2 and messaged the password to the Bouncer but nothing happened, so I don’t know. Maybe the Penguin hates me. :cry:

8 Likes

This is great. Definitely gonna talk more now.

9 Likes

I do gotta say I absolutely love the clearance level concept!

17 Likes

I got blackjack. I think the password is randomly generated… would also love an answer on how to submit it.

4 Likes

I messaged the bouncer with all four available answers from the clue and none of them worked.

4 Likes