Trying to get into Green Lanterns

I’d like some recommendations for Green Lantern comics. At least 1 for each of the human green lanterns. What should I read to get into them???

2 Likes

Blackest Night is cool if you haven’t read that. Jessica Cruz and Baz have a few good series on the site and so does John. Hal Jordan and the GLC (2016) is a great series if you want a little bit of all of them.

1 Like

I hadn’t read GL for decades. Stopped around the early 80’s.
I started with the Sinestro Corps Wars arc which feeds into Darkest Night.

That seems to be working for me, in term of getting back into the modern GL universe.

2 Likes

Read Green Lantern Rebirth by Geoff Johns then read his run, that leads into all of the major green lantern stories of the 2000s

4 Likes

Godhead crossover with the tie-ins. After the above starting points once your familiar.

You’ll get a good run with them all if you start with John’s run. Somewhere around issue 20 I think it breaks into Green Lantern Corps and Ion. By pulling all those titles early you’ll be ready for jumping into Blackest Night’s full story line. For all the hate on New 52, GL just kept going after Brightest Day and War instead of trying to start over and that’s where you’ll add Simon Baz. But at that point you can pick up New Guardians for a coming into his own story with Kyle and pull in orange, yellow, and red lantern series. Rebirth Green Lanterns adds Jessica Cruz. If you like Kyle’s story, branch out to Omega Men and Justice League Odyssey for Jessica Cruz. There’s a lot of material there that covers the last 15 years and the continuity is pretty good.

If at some point you should be in the mood for an unconventional GL book, give Threshold a whirl. It’s an underrated gem from The New 52.

Kyle Rayner’s run in Green Lantern is fun. It begins in the volume begun in 1990 at #48 (or somewhere around there if not that issue). His run as the only GL is pretty easy to get into and quite entertaining.

One for each you say? All right, here we go:

Alan Scott: EARTH 2.
Hal Jordan: GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH.
John Stewart: GREEN LANTERN CORPS.
Guy Gardner: HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS.
Kyle Rayner: GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS.
Simon Baz: GREEN LANTERNS.
Jessica Cruz: JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY.

1 Like

Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn (parts 1 & 2)
This origin story was before authors lost the creativity to think of something other than “Year One.”