Truth, Justice, and the American Way

I was just thinking about this because it’s Independence Day here in the US.

I’m probably in the minority here. I know some stories went too far with stereotyping, but in general, I have always liked the patriotic streak that ran through Superman and Wonder Woman TV and movies in the 40s-80s. I always thought it was weird that Batman didn’t have many strong patriotic stories. The Batman serials crossed the line the wrong way, IMO, so I’m not necessarily saying I miss strong nationalism, but a sense of pride in the best parts of our roots.

I guess they can’t really do so much today because they’re focused on a wider global reach, and maybe patriotism isn’t as popular these days. It’s just the times we live in. But I miss this aspect of superhero stories sometimes, and maybe it’s one reason why I still prefer a lot of the older productions.

Anybody else have thoughts on this? Am I the only one who still thinks a little pride in the red, white, and blue in superhero stories is a good thing?

6 Likes

I think when various DC medias show US dissent, social conflict, sociopolitical conflict, the inclusion and more center stage roles for LBGTQ characters like Batwoman & Dreamer.

IMO, all of these are very patriotic and the truest form of the American way. Using the fundamental rights protected under the constitution. That is very patriotic to me.

I you own one, waving the American flag is patriotic. The same is true, if you own one, burning the American flag is patriotic. Both make statements, as protected speech under the first amendment, of patriotism. The fact that some folks don’t agree is part of the great freedom of America. We can disagree, we can have dissent for those in political power, we all don’t have to agree or sit up straight when a politician addresses the country. We can applaud a congressperson, senator or the president. We can also flip them the bird. We can cheer them and we can boo them.

As Americans can make our feelings and opinions heard without being thrown in jail or executed. We have had dark days, slavery, Jim Crow, WWII interment camps, the Trail of tears, the Stonewall riots and more. But through it all, there were people who stood up and said publicly these things our government is doing is wrong and did that because we have the freedom, via the constitution, to do that. That is as patriotism.

I support the KKK’s right to peaceful assembly and marches, even though I vehemently disagree with them. Why? Because they are entitled to their views and have as much to have them in the public square as anybody else. I also have the right to have them yelled down, laughed at, and ridiculed too.

Especially today, we truly celebrate dissent. What was the Declaration of Independence if not a mondo middle finger to the government of England.

3 Likes

I think you’ve both hit the nail on the head. The USA’s been the greatest country for an individual’s freedom. If nothing else, we can all celebrate this great country for giving us the chance to use our voices. And we should always be grateful for the men and women who risk and give their lives so we can continue to use our voices. There’s truly no greater country.

3 Likes

I’m not going to bore you all with a political screed, but I think the reason why patriotism is so rare these days is because, for decades, certain individuals and groups have abused the concept of patriotism to justify certain unsavory aspects of their agendas. The aforementioned KKK, for example, like to claim — disingenuously — that the only way to be a “real” patriot is to hate everyone who’s not a straight white Christian male, and whenever you criticize or disagree with them they’ll start crying that you’re a traitor giving aid and comfort to “the enemy.”

Regardless, while superheroes as we know them are not as outwardly “stars and stripes” as they used to be, I believe that they still embody the spirit of patriotism, as they are nothing but loyal and compassionate to the country they live in — even if they disagree with what the government is doing — and do what they can to protect our people and their rights. The most powerful example of this in recent memory is when Superman, a couple of years ago, saved a family of Mexican immigrants from a white supremacist gunman. That one image is confirmation that Superman still stands for the American Way, even if he doesn’t have it as his catchphrase anymore.

2 Likes

I have no interest in nationalism, but I have great appreciation for the principles of individual freedom and extremely limited government outlined in our government, and if this is what people mean when they speak or patriotism, I’m all for it. I hate that DC will no longer use the phrase trust justice and the America way, but to be fair, I don’t think many people understand the nature of the American way. The American dream isn’t about a house or prosperity but the idea that you can be free to pursue, not even necessarily achieve, but pursue your own dream. I get behind that 100%.

3 Likes

I said this a couple of years ago in a Superman fan community when some Superman fans were debating a recent issue of Superman. I feel it bears repeating here: Superman Stands for Truth Justice and the American Way. The American Way, by definition, guarantees the people of this country, regardless of their origin, the inalienable human rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. LIBERTY! Liberty to live as you choose. Liberty to live with whom you choose, Liberty to worship (or not worship) as you choose and the right to do so without persecution from anyone else! To deny anyone that. To say they don’t belong because their way is different than yours, is a fundamental violation of the principles our country was built on! Moreover, it is a complete contradiction to everything that Superman stands for. Some people have really lost sight of why this country was founded in the first place. America was meant to be a safe haven for the persecuted. That’s why the Statue of Liberty reads “Give us your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to be free.”

6 Likes

I think people don’t understand how unique the United States is. Do you know there isn’t a single nation in the world with the right to free speech as in the United States. We tend to think places like the UK or Canada are just like us in that respect, but they aren’t. People are given extreme fines for saying the politically incorrect in those places. We live in an amazing place.

2 Likes

We do live in an incredible country and it is clear reading some of these comments that most people have no idea why our country is the greatest country in the world.

The American education system strikes again.

1 Like