Trunks or No Trunks?

Trucks on the page… No trucks on the screen.

@Vroom, that is a sweet sweet pic. Looks very much like the Batman Incorporated look (which I am again guilty of being familiar with but not having read it yet).

1 Like

@moro It is indeed the suit seen in the first volume of Batman, Inc.

It first appeared in the Batman: The Return one-shot, which was also drawn by David Finch.

3 Likes

@Vroom: That’s actually a pretty good design, but if you look closely, the armor plate there is black, so it’s still a version of the trunks. While I prefer the cape and cowl being more of a dark blue, I would be pretty OK if they’d stuck with that design.

@BatJamags It may appear that way in that cover image, but the interior art of Batman: The Dark Knight (also by Finch but in his traditional style) and this action figure show no signs of trunks.

1 Like

Makes mental note to find DCD Batman Inc figure at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

@moro Good luck. It’s the only action figure of Batman in that outfit.

1 Like

Ah, OK. I was thinking of the Arkham City skin based on the costume:

2 Likes

I prefer the trunks to break up the color and to give reason for a belt. No onesy for my superheroes.

3 Likes

Superman needs trunks. I’m flexible on all other costumes, but Superman without red trunks just looks wrong.

1 Like

Trunks!

2 Likes

I think Cavill’s suit from MoS and BvS were perfect, particularly the latter. I’m not opposed to the trunks, since they have worked in the past, but Cavill’s suit is my favorite. It’s more realistic and no, not like a “onesy.”

3 Likes

I gotta disagree. If anything the Zack Snyder suit looks even more like a onesie cause it doesn’t even have a belt.

I’m not against no trunks, and I suppose it does look more realistic, but… this is a guy who flies and shoots lasers out of his eyes and throws cars like softballs. Realism isn’t an integral to the Superman mythos. If anything, I think the trunks are more realistic, because there’s a sense of wonderment to it. Even in the comic book world he’s very comic booky, and it helps to humanize him. When his suit looks like armor, it’s not exactly reassuring to regular people. The trunks made him seem less like a god and more like a cartoon character, which, if you didn’t know who he was and he smashed through your wall to save you, is exactly what you would want.

Batman, however, kind of works either way. The difference between gray and black isn’t nearly as big as blue and red, so I don’t think it really calls out attention too much either way.

2 Likes

Trunks. The classic look is still the best.

Trunks are sexier

Trunks are a thing in the past. They’re too cheesy for 2019.

3 Likes

@cbplanets
They’re people who fly around in what are essentially wetsuits and shoot lasers out of their faces. :woman_shrugging:

@cbplanets
They’re people who fly around in what are essentially wetsuits and shoot lasers out of their faces. :woman_shrugging:

@Batwing52 Cavill or Affleck in trunks would look ridiculous. Like I said, leave it in the past.

4 Likes