Trunks or No Trunks?

I’m fine with either look, I don’t have a preference.

That said, Superman’s New 52 suit is one of my favorite looks of his. I really liked that design.

5 Likes

Trunks

1 Like

My preferences:
1: Extend the trunks further down the legs so they look less like underwear and more like shorts. (Not sure why they never try this.)
2: Classic trunks. (Not actually any problem with them, but Option 1 invites fewer immature jokes.)
3: Use the trunk colors for full pants. (Means the boots don’t pop, but keeps the variation in color on the main body.)
4: Have a larger, preferably two-tone belt that replicates the trunks’ aesthetic function. (Think Doctor Fate’s belt-torso-thingy, or Batman’s Rebirth outfit.)
5: Ugly trunkless footie pajamas.

1 Like

I prefer trunks. That being said I am willing to accept Batman not having them but Superman needs to have trunks.

2 Likes

@BatJamags
Option 4 was used on the Rebirth Superman outfit. The problem is that it still can’t break up the OCEAN of blue on the rest of his costumes.

*costume

Classic trunks. “Christopher Reeves”!

2 Likes

If it were any other hero I’d say the trunks are outdated. However Superman is the embodiment of the classic superhero archetype. Design standpoint; yes the red balances out the color and makes it easier on the eyes. (It’s the reason most artist who drew New 52 Superman usually cut him off at the waist.I don’t know if it’s intentional or not, but I did notice it.) From a character Sandpoint; he needs to represent what a classic superhero should be. Yes, they are from a bygone era. but in a sense so is he.

Batman also had the no trunks look in the late 90’s, especially during No Man’s Land.

Below is a look at that design as seen on the cover of Detective Comics #736. By no means was that the first book this look debuted in, but it is a cover that showcases it well.

After Gotham City was rebuilt, the trunks were reinstated into Batman’s new look for the 2000’s, which featured the return of the bat emblem with no yellow oval while his utility belt with pouches stayed and evolved a bit.

3 Likes

SMALLVILLE FOR THE WIN OBVIOUSLY!

1 Like

The red trunks, otherwise it’s a blue onesie.

3 Likes

There’s a reason they keep going back to the trunks. Superman’s iconic strong man look.

3 Likes

@Vroom: The art was highly inconsistent on that costume. The trunks sort of came and went depending on the artist, if I recall correctly. In the image you show, I like the subdued-but-still-grey-and-blue color pallet, but the trunklessness still looks out of place.

2 Likes

Supes looks weird without the trucks, but the trucks just don’t always look right.

No trunks. The rebirth suit was just about perfect.

5 Likes

Trunks

1 Like

Trunks
Without the trunks he looks like he is about to compete in the winter Olympics LOL

3 Likes

I mentioned my opinion regarding Superman above. As far as Batman is concerned, although the character came out right around the same time Superman did, I feel like I’m not as “married” to any one look for him. The gray with blue trunks and yellow oval bat symbol will always have a special place in my heart. The current look in the comics is also a good one (Based on Hush, right? Need to read that). However, with all of his state of the art tech and adaptations to different conditions, I actually look forward to “whatever they will come up with next” regarding Batman’s suit. I mean, I don’t really play video games, but that Arkham Knight suit was great imho. I also like the Batman Incorporated and Batman Earth One suits with the piping details, and no trunks (Earth One below).

1 Like

The last Pre-Flashpoint look for the Bruce Wayne Batman, as drawn by David Finch for the cover of Batman: The Dark Knight v1 #1.

My favorite “trunkless” Batman design.

1 Like

Helps if I include the picture :wink:

1 Like