Tribute To The Adventures Of Superman

Thankyou @CaptainYesterday for your post! I really love it, looking at the last picture, I had no idea he had a strap for his feet, that’s interesting to see.:grinning:

5 Likes

says the following via his best Dr. Smith impression

Oh, the pain of it all! A woman eating breakfast with the two male leads!

Oh, the pain of it all! In 1950s America, we can’t have that!

pushes the Stop button on his Sarcasm Machine™

Some things truly are better left in the past.

awaits the day he can buy a box of “New, from General Mills!”-branded, tasty, loaded with sugar, Lois-Os from his local food jobber

On that day, I’ll say “Take two scoops of that, Kellogg’s!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

says “Lois-Os! The Breakfast of Champion Journalists!” in his best Gary Owens voice

5 Likes

I always loved that episode. Funny think of Lucy Ricardo as existing in the same reality as Superman!

5 Likes

Conversely, one wonders if Ricky would ever have the temerity to say “Superman! You got some ‘splainin’ to do!”.

5 Likes

One of my earliest TV memories is of New York’s local Channel 11 promotion of the airing of “Superman on Earth”, the first episode. It was the early 60’s and a huge topic among my friends at school. I also wonder whether the color episodes were broadcast that way back then. Most people I knew only had black & white TVs.

6 Likes

A scene from CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths that I would have liked to see - While trying to kill every Superman in the Multiverse, Jon Cryer’s Lex Luthor travels to Earth-59. Luthor shoots George Reeves and disappears, while the world assumes it was a suicide.

3 Likes

I didn’t live in a house with color tv until 1980.

5 Likes

@mylehigh2000.28963: Wow, someone else who remembers The Adventures of Superman broadcast on Channel 11, WPIX, NYC! That’s where I found the show as a kid in the sixties. I loved it then, and still, adore it today!
The cast was marvelous. George Reeves was born to play the part of Superman/Clark Kent. Noel Neill, Jack Larsen, John Hamilton, and Robert Shayne were some of the best supporting cast members in the history of the medium.
The show mixed action, suspense, adventure, and humor in equal parts to create a true Golden Age TV classic.
Some of my favorite episodes:
Panic in the Sky
Superman in Exile
The Defeat of Superman
Around The World With Superman
A Ghost for Scotland Yard
The Human Bomb
The Wedding of Superman
and the George Reeves tour de force–The Face and the Voice!
A fond memory from my childhood and a cornerstone to the Superman mythos.
“Faster than a speeding bullet…”

7 Likes

I love the shill for “buy Two” like the shampoo bottle, “wash and repeat.” LOL!

4 Likes

Great choices. It’s also fun when I read some of the 40’s and 50’s comics on the service and recognize the stories from the Adventures of Superman series. Is there a list of episodes that references the specific comic book issues on which they were based?

4 Likes

I grew up in Central PA and in the fall of 1975, WJAC-TV in Johnstown began airing “The Adventures of Superman” every Monday afternoon at 4:30. A few weeks after that, I got my first copy of Action Comics and that’s how I became a Superman fan.

7 Likes

A few years ago, It used to air on ME-TV and I watched it every Saturday

6 Likes

Here’s hoping that the forthcoming comic Superman '78 is a critical and–more importantly–a commercial success. Because the obvious follow up to that would be The Adventures of Superman: The 1950’s!

7 Likes

Back when they did Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77, I hoped that they would do a comic book version of The Adventures of Superman!

6 Likes

Wow, that Kellogg’s Pep Cereal Superman image looks eerily like Christopher Reeve!

5 Likes

It does, doesn’t it, wonder if that’s what Donner used as his casting guide?

4 Likes

Here is a happy update on The Adventures of Superman! Phyllis Coates (the first TV Lois Lane) recently turned 95 years young on January 15th of this year! God bless Ms. Coates, Lois Lane fans the world over love you.

7 Likes

I Often watch the Adventures of Superman!
It Was A Classic T.V. Show!
Very Well Done!

Did Very Well Considering They Didn’t Use Lex Luthor or Ultra Humanite or Any of Superman’s Gallery of Rogues!

George Reeves Was Cast Great as Superman!
Great Cast and Crew, Great Writing!
I Love Watching the Show In Syndication!

6 Likes

The animated Adventures of Superman is like a continuation of the George Reeves live action.

3 Likes

As a little kid in elementary school I’d watch George Reeves as Superman before school and Adam West as Batman after school. What I do recall is that George Reeve’s Clark kent was more sophisticated and less naïve than that in the comic books or played by Christopher Reeves. As a kid every time he took off his glasses to rub his eyes I’d yell “It’s Superman”.

6 Likes