Trial of The Amazons: Q&A with Michael Conrad and Becky Cloonan!

Thanks for the reply

4 Likes

BC: SO many Deadman fans out here, I love to see it! Most of the research we did involved characterizations, making sure that personalities and voices were consistent across every book, since the Trial is a single story running through each title. Also, everyone was always looking for ways to help each other out, either by setting something up for each other, or foreshadowing something in one book that would happen in another. It was so fun & satisfying to be a part of such a positive writing team!

MC: We did a lot of rereading. I think we all wanted to focus on nailing the characters and cultures in a way that felt fresh, while honoring the books and lore that we grew up loving. It was a labor of love, rereading Wonder Woman isn’t work at all… I’m blessed.

You’re welcome for Deadman! So much fun!

13 Likes

MC: YES, it really was/has been stressful! We just really wanted to make people happy… but everyone wants something a little different. Ultimately to deal with that kind of stress, I just put my faith in the team, and the story. I had to just go with it. It seems to have worked so far!

BC: I totally admit, before going into the Trial I was nervous as heck! I’ve never been a part of helping to engineering an event, but after our first team meeting my stress immediately vanished after we started putting ideas out there. The entire team, Steph, Vita, Joelle, Michael… everyone showed up with such strong ideas, my fears were cast into the fire!

Of course there is the stage fright of putting something you helped create out into the world… but we put so much into the Trial, and enjoyed every minute working on it.

12 Likes

I am super excited about the Trial event and started reading Wonder Woman after hearing rave reviews about your run. I am now legit obsessed and have been buying older trades and borrowing them from the library for some Amazonian Adventures of Days Gone By. So… thank you for being the spark that really got me into Wonder Woman!

As for questions:

1. Can we expect to see more of Medusa? I really loved what the Nubia crew did in terms of a possible redemption arc with her as she stands as one of mythology’s biggest unjustly punished “villains”.

2. Was there any thought of maybe making use of Sir Ystin and/or Exoristos from Demon Knights? I was super excited to see “The Shining Knight” pop up and was a little disappointed when it turned out not to be Ystin. As a trans person, having a character like Sir Ystin (and Bia! <3) is really awesome to see and makes comics have that much more of a personal connection.

Thank you again so, so much for all of the amazing work! You’re both amazing! <3

8 Likes

MC: First, thank you for the kind words! I do have a place I want Diana to end up, but I’ll never say hahahahah! Hopefully we last long enough to get there! As for our story being impacted by other books… certainly, but not in a way that will prevent us from going where we want to go with our stories.

BC: Thank you so much! When we started writing Wonder Woman, we came to the book with so many ideas, and we’ve been able to do all of them— and then some! There’s been so much support for us and this book, both from DC and from readers— we’ve been really lucky and grateful for that. We’ve got a ton of stories left to tell… I’m scared to think of the end because I don’t want it to happen XD

13 Likes

MC: That is real. Yara is LOVED by everyone at Team Amazon.

BC: Yara’s role in the Trial has always been crucial! She’s such an easy character to like, I know we all fell in love with her while writing the event <3

10 Likes

Thanks for hanging out everyone! We really appreciate all the support and love for the Trial of the Amazons. Everyone has worked so hard to bring this event to life, it means a lot to hear you’re enjoying it! And also, thank you for all the thoughtful and honest questions! It was a lot of fun to sit down and answer them— I’d love to do this again sometime.

<3 -Becky

15 Likes

Oh no! I got my questions in too late! Darn you work!

8 Likes

Hey y’all, thank you so much for loving Wonder Woman and all of her friends and foes as much as we do. We really appreciate the support, and especially with something as important as the Trial of the Amazons, it is an honor and a privilidge to be party of this great and ongoing mythology. We look forward to bringing the characters you love further into the spotlight! We have more wonderful stuff on the way, thanks for riding with us!

-Michael

14 Likes

Thank you for this beautifully worded and thoughtful response. And thank you for all of your answers today - I’m more excited than ever to see what’s in store for the future of your run. (I’m so relieved you said you like writing Steve. I’ve missed him. :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:)

10 Likes

Forgot this was today :sweat_smile:

Awesome™:+1: picks. Jumpas great and Steve is definitely a great member.
Thanks for answering

6 Likes

Michael and Becky were kind enough to answer my questions on Twitter so I’ll post their answers here in case anyone was curious. Thank you again to DC for hosting this and Becky and Michael for being amazing here, on Twitter, and overall in life! <3

Becky Cloonan:
“We both LOVE what Team Nubia has done with Medusa, bringing her more into the fold. I’d jump at the chance to tell a story with her in it! As far as the Shining Knight goes…”
“Using the costume was a fun way to get Siggy back into the timeline, but having the Shining Knight appear also opened up the door to writing a story with Ystina (and other Seven Soldiers) in the future! We’ve been planting a lot of seeds!”
“I’m so thankful, we’ve been giving so much freedom with the story, so I feel like the sky’s the limit! And people (generally lol) have been very kind and supportive of the book! We’re here to tell stories that move people, and we are happily being given that chance. <3”

…and Michael W Conrad:
“Ivrione, you’re the best kind of reader. I LOVE that you have desires (funny enough, ones similiar to our own) & brought it up in a kind way. I’m glad you enjoy the book, we hope to keep blooming with every issue. Sorry about the Shining Knight trick, we hope to expand on that!”

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. What rock stars. :star_struck:

6 Likes