Trial of The Amazons: Q&A with Michael Conrad and Becky Cloonan!

The Amazons of Bana-Mighdall are in disagreement, tempers are high, and swords have been brandished. Will Queen Nubia quell the anger? The Contest may be the answer.

Speaking of answers…

Join us on 2022-03-25T21:00:00Z for a Q&A featuring Michael Conrad and Becky Cloonan! With the recently released Trial of the Amazons, we’re excited to welcome two amazing writers, and get the inside look at one of the most exciting Wonder Woman events to date! Want to know how Becky and Michael prepared for writing a book of this scale? Curious about how the creative writing process challenges comic writers? Drop all of your burning questions in this thread, and join us next week for a chance to get your question answered! Please remember to submit only one question! We have a limited time with Becky and Michael, so we’ll try to get through as many questions as possible!

See you all back here next Friday at 2pm PT!

18 Likes

@Razzzcat & @Angel212 – Don’t miss this one! :eyes:

12 Likes

Many thanks to Mr. Conrad and Ms. Cloonan for stopping by the BEST online DC fan community ! :partying_face: :hugs:

My question: With Wonder Girl sadly having been cancelled, did that in any way have an effect on Yara Flor taking a bigger role in Trial of the Amazons than was previously planned? Also, can anything be said about Yara’s post-Trial future at this point?

I’m a big fan of Ms. Flor and have been since Day One when Future State was announced. I hope she has a bright future ahead! :slight_smile:

Thanks again to Ms. Cloonan and Mr. Conrad for stopping by, and many thanks to DCUI for hosting this supremely :wonderwoman:onderful Q&A! :superman_hv_4:

9 Likes

Hello and thank you for taking the time to answer some of our questions. I’ve been reading Wonder Woman since the beginning of New 52. Quite frankly, nothing in the series has impressed me as much as that initial run by Azzarello and Chiang. That is until now. Your run has been great! You have expanded on Wonder Woman’s mythology, while giving us stories that are as exciting as they are emotional. Thank you :pray:.

My question: Diana seems to be feeling her way through things now that she’s back from, well, saving the multiverse. Her relationship(s), her place in the world, in the League, among the Amazons… there’s just a lot in flux for her right now. It’s refreshing to see a Diana that doesn’t necessarily have all the answers, but still manages to be the hero we know her to be (no pressure :slightly_smiling_face:). What is your vision for Diana? Do you have a certain place you want her to be in by the end of your run? Do Death of The Justice League and Dark Crisis impact that vision?

Again, thank you for the great work. I hope your run is a long and successful one!

9 Likes

Obviously, this is a giant event. Was it stressful to write this story? If so, how did you overcome the stress?

7 Likes

This event has had me excited since I first heard about it a few months back. How much research is involved when creating an event of this scope? If there is research, is it more into the characters, how they would behave, or the history of the Amazons?

Before I forget, thank you so much for including Deadman in Wonder Woman’s journey!

9 Likes

Thank you for being here! Your run of Wonder Woman has been my favorite since Greg Rucka’s Rebirth run. I love how you write Diana and you have taken her to some fascinating new places, both physically and emotionally. (Also thank you for Ratatosk, he is a treasure. :heart: :chipmunk:)

Diana is canonically bisexual, but we rarely see this explored. Obviously it should serve the story if it comes up, but it is also part of who she is intrinsically. Has the fact that she was raised in a non-heteronormative society informed the way you write her? If so, in what ways?

9 Likes

Hello :wave:

Haven’t had the chance to read the event yet but from what I’ve read before I’ve always enjoyed seeing Diana interact and team up with the other Amazons or Wonderfamily members so can’t wait to read this.

As for my question who’s your favorite member of the Wonderfamily?

9 Likes

First off, just want to say I’ve been really enjoying both the Trial event as well as your Wonder Woman run since the start of Infinite Frontier.

(As an aside, I’ve also really enjoyed your work on Batgirls as well!)

You’re writing this event along with a lot of other great writers like Joelle Jones, Stephanie Phillips and more – what was the writing/plotting process like?

9 Likes

Can we ask Batgirls questions at all? Or will there be another Q&A for that possibly?

7 Likes

My question is its my understanding that you are going to have the three known tribes of Amazons compete against each other, so if you had one word only to sum up each individual tribe what would it be and why?
Thanks so much for doing this, I know I speak for all of us here, but we greatly appreciate the chance to interact with the creators of our favorite heroes and their current artists and writers.

8 Likes

A Batgirls Q&A is a fantastic idea!

I know I’ve got a Q or two on my mind about the series…

7 Likes

Please keep the questions around the topic of Trial of the Amazons for this particular thread!

There’s always the opportunity for a Batgirls Q&A at a later date :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Will do, thanks!

5 Likes

Thanks for stopping by the community! It falls to me to ask you the same question I ask all incoming experts on Wonder Woman, or for that matter, the Titans —

In your opinion: who is Donna Troy?

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I’ve enjoyed your run on WW the most since Rucka and look forward to picking up Cloonan’s variant for Historia.

Thoughts on Artemis? She’s my favorite Wonder character after Diana. Any potential plans for her Trial or later in your run.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community @Astrowing!!!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Astrowing, it’s great to have you here! Please let us know if there’s ever anything we can help you with!

5 Likes

Hello, and welcome! :wave:
First, just wanted to say that I’ve grown quite fond of your work on Wonder Woman, so thank you for that! :00_wonder_woman_gold: :smile: This event has only just begun, so I’m positive I’ll have all sorts of Qs when it over, lol, but for now:
Do you have any dream characters — heroes or villains, that you’d like to incorporate into a story arc for Diana if you could, and why?
Thank you both so much for taking the time to do this, and I hope this finds you well. :purple_heart: Take care.

8 Likes

I’m absolutely loving your run so far! The inclusion of Siggy & Deadman are nice surprises. Thanks for keeping Steve & Etta around too. Do you have any plans for Queen Clea or Dr. Poison?

7 Likes