Trial of the Amazons | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead

Caught up on Nubia, Wonder Woman, and yes, Trial of the Amazons this evening!

The first few issues of Nubia were okay… it never grabbed my attention. Then issue 3 hit and I was all for it. Not sure what changed for me but I became more invested. Reading Wonder Woman 784 was a nice break before diving into Trial of the Amazons. I was pretty shocked by the death of Hippolyta. I am really happy I have avoided this thread until after I read everything. I am also happy I didn’t watch the comic trailer that was posted earlier as it appears to have a spoiler or two.

As they started to prepare for The Contest, two things sprung to my mind. First, the tv series starring Lynda Carter. The second is the 90s storyline where Artemis becomes Wonder Woman. If you are down for some 90s comic art in all of its glory for better or worse, that is worth a read.

Half of me is expecting Diana to go all Maxwell Lord on the person that killed her mother but another part of me is expecting her to let Nubia handle it.

I will say that the often mocked Attack of the Amazons seems larger in scope than Trial of the Amazons, at least, at this point. Yet, this story seems to have larger ramifications.

8 Likes

QFT.

The Contest is one of my absolute favs of '90s Wonder Woman, along with John Byrne’s run (which features Hippolyta in a major way).

5 Likes

My favorite
Queen Hippolyta story

A little sad

7 Likes

I have bookmarked this post so I can find it later on a rainy day and read this comic.

5 Likes

That ish is part of Byrne’s run, so make it a rainy day where you’ve ample time, because you’ll likely want to immediately read more of his Wonder Woman (which begins in #101) as time allows, whilst the Wet Stuff pours outside.

contemplates posting “John Byrne’s Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread” as he makes his way through Wonder Woman #785

4 Likes

Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl 1 was excellent! So much is happening in this issue and I need more!

Cassie’s interaction with Artemis was short but everything I want in that kind of moment from Artemis.

Yara’s moment with Hippolyta is perfect. Hippolyta is one of those characters that I have loved and hated over the years, across all forms of media. This is her at her best, which brings out another side of Yara. Perfect.

Oh, and the backstory of how the Esquecidas ended up going to Themyscira was great.

To date, this has been a fun event and each issue leaves me wanting more.

9 Likes

The next part of Trial of the Amazons, Wonder Girl 1, is out now! If you’ve read it and want to share your thoughts, please feel free! (Please blur spoilers. :wink:)

8 Likes

Really enjoying this read thus far. Id say im more enjoying the parts being written by Stephanie Williams. Im loving how we are getting to see the different tribes of Amazons bounce off of one another. Looking forward to seeing where this goes with the darkness and the contest.

8 Likes

I’ll be back later with my in-depth thoughts on WW #785 and TOTA: WG #1, but suffice to say, Yara Flor now owns this whole event, based on how grand her book was this week.

7 Likes

Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl was a solid read. I get the feeling that there was some condensing of what the last few issues of WG was going to be before it was ended at #7, but I think they did a good job of filling in that gap while still showing of some solid moments, not just with Yara, but with Cassie too.

That said, I have to ask this of Cassie: Have you, like, EVER tried to solve a mystery before? Because I feel like she’s maybe not the best person for the job. :rofl:

9 Likes

Yara is becoming a bit of a goblin in these stories. XD

And yeah, Cassie turning into this great detective is a bit of an ‘out of nowhere’ thing which DC is really pushing right now. Though they can probably justify it with her picking it up from Tim when they were on a team together

5 Likes

Wonder Woman #785: Solid read, fine art, good issue.

Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl #1: Where do I even begin? I loved it, and this is undeniably the best part of TOTA at this point (don’t try to change my mind, because you won’t :wink:).

First off, what’s Yara got against yacht rock?

IDK…I’ve never been on a yacht, so…is yacht rock the music of the spoiled and arrogant? :man_shrugging:

The art on page 3…Great Hera, it is beautiful, all of it.

You could remove the text, blow-up that page to poster size, and you would have a stunningly gorgeous poster.

Next, the splash page of the Esquecidas, and once again, it was beautiful!

Also, I hope I’m not the only one who wants to see Potira in her own book of some kind (I think a mini would be a good fit).

Speaking of Potira, Yara’s reaction to her saying “Y-yes?” was great, as you could absolutely feel Yara’s happiness.

Other highlights from an issue full of them:

:00_wonder_woman_stars: Cass indulging her inner-Jessica Fletcher (Google her, if need be :clark_hv_4:) was fun.

I can’t recall seeing her in the role of a detective before, so that was neat.

I also liked the scene between her and Artemis.

SN: I love how confident Artemis is, generally-speaking. She is most definitely brash at times, but you will never be able to say Artemis is lacking in confidence, because she most certainly is not.

Also Cass, Artemis remembers you’re half-god, and she doesn’t care. If you were to repeat what you said to her, she could (and would) absolutely decimate you.

:00_wonder_woman_stars: Yara likes her Themysciran chicken. :smile:

:00_wonder_woman_stars: Hippolyta and Yara’s little heart to heart, which was touching.

The black…goop moving about…I suppose we can say that Shadow Thief poisoned Hippolyta, eh? :smirk:

:00_wonder_woman_stars: That last page! Great Hera, everyone looked badass. :hugs:

So, yeah, this was easily my favorite part of Trial, so far. I’ve no doubt that WG #2 will be as good, if not better (it definitely has a groovy Babs Tarr variant, no doubt).

Bring on Wonder Woman #786! :metal:t2: :0_wonder_woman:

6 Likes

So far with this event, im most enjoying the world building elements. I still hold a special place in my heart for the wild shennanigan elements of the golden age Paradise Island, but between the Nubia mini-series and Trial of the Amazons im seeing a wonderful fleshed out modern take on Themyscira.
Do wish they would show us those other islands, because Reformation Island was a favorite element of mine back in the day.

And gosh, seeing the different groups of Amazons bouncing off one another has been a delightful treat all on its own. I didn’t expect Faruka to small time villain from Perez’s run to such a scene stealer.
And the Wonder Girl tie in made me better appreciate the Esquecida, though I really feel like we should have already had much of this established in the previous miniseries. Makes me want to see more of the tribe and characters within it. And not necesarily from Yaras viewpoint either.

Gosh…I wonder if the other tribes have some equivelent to the kangaroos…Do the Esquecida have giant riding capybaras?

Regarding the mystery itself, im suspecting that Hippolyta poisoned herself as part of some prophecy shennanigans, and her dying is unrelated to the whole deal with the darkness.

10 Likes

Prior to TOTA, I had been on a bit of a break from Wonder Woman in single issues, so maybe the deal I’m about to mention has been covered.

Anywho, I remember the issue where Diana came back to Earth, and how it ended with her appearing to be possessed by some…thing.

Was that whole deal resolved prior to TOTA? If not, could that possibly have something to do with Hippolyta’s death? Could Diana have poisoned her own mom and not realized it?

4 Likes

It was resolved. That was not actually Diana, but duplicates of her created by Mirror Master.

6 Likes

Mirror Master guest-starred? Now I’ll have to read the remainder of that story, once its on DCUI.

SN: TOTA has really reinvigorated my interest in reading WW in singles again, and I’m probably going to stick with WW in singles for a while after TOTA concludes.

5 Likes

Mirror Master wasn’t involved, I think it was a new/rarely used villain. There was a neat cameo with Shining Knight, though!

Also, I think if any previous issues of WW is going to factor into Trial, it’s the most recent 2021 Annual that came out in December. You’ll be able to tell it’s on here when you see this sweet Mitch Gerards cover:

6 Likes

No Mirror Master, then? Darn.

As for the 2021 Annual, I’m very eager to read it. I was going to buy it the week it came out, but other books were of higher priority, so into the figurative DCUI stack it went.

6 Likes

Sorry, it was Image Maker. But he’s from the Mirror World, in my defense! :sweat_smile:

I read a lot of comics, guys. This came out 2 months ago, it may as well be another century as far as my memory of it. :joy:

6 Likes

No apology’s needed. You’re good. :superman_hv_4:

Don’t we all…don’t we all. :nerd_face:

5 Likes