Trial of the Amazons | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead

Yeah you’re right, the Medusa thing could definitely benefit from some additional reading. I just figured “Ok, recent events have her coming out of there looking all human… roll with it!” :laughing:.

6 Likes

:rofl: Tbh, “just roll with it” is my mindset when reading most comics.

7 Likes

Hi all! I just picked up TOTA#1 today and am really excited to jump into this crossover. It sounds like an awesome story, tho probably not the best time to start since this will actually be my first time reading a Wonder Woman comic :sweat_smile: But before I dive in should I read through Nubia & The Amazons #1-5 or will I be okay just reading #6?

7 Likes

Hey, cici! Welcome! :hugs: Can’t wait to read what you thought! And :eyes: everyone has to start w/ Diana and the Amazons somewhere. This certainly seems like a good introduction to me! :00_wonder_woman_gold: :purple_heart: Talk soon.

While I’m here…

I won’t pretend I didn’t see the catalyst for the story coming, and narratively it’s the right choice, but… :eyes: lol, this was still me when I saw who dies

Aside from the obvious misprint in the first issue (:expressionless: Diana would never be so condescending. That’s a Bana Mighdall thing, guys!), I’m enjoying everything, and definitely wondering where it’s all going to lead. Very happy to see Donna and Cassie (and Medusa :raised_hands:) too. :books: On to the next!

8 Likes

I can definitely see that – stuff like “Wait, Medusa is an Amazon now? Like, the Medusa?”

Also, as for your worries about a certain character’s status, they solicited a certain one-shot that confirms that status will stick around.

6 Likes

Yay! @cici’s here! :smiling_face:

I was saying earlier I thought it might be hard jumping in, but @moro didn’t read Nubia’s series and he says he is just fine understanding the story! And I would echo @Razzzcat - there is no wrong time to start reading Wonder Woman. I would encourage you to just start with this series and see how you like it! (Kind of like we discussed with Death Metal, if you’re curious about the other stuff you can always go back and check it out later.) :+1:

6 Likes

:rofl: “No hard feelings about the beheading, come join our club!” Yeah, the context is everything with this.

Okay, I guess I missed this but thank goodness. I’m so happy now! :tada:

4 Likes

I think there’s truth to this in floppy comics in general – I started getting into them around the time of Infinite Crisis. Didn’t get a lot of the finer details, but there was enough good story that it made me want to figure out what was going on.

6 Likes

Okay, cool! I’ve jumped in on other series and sometimes it’s confusing, sometimes it’s not so I figured id ask first :+1: Im gonna try to read Nubia first but it’s good to know I can also just start with TOTA#1 if needed :relaxed:

6 Likes

Good point, i’m also pretty lax with my comics and continuity. I’m like 70% just here for the art anyway :sweat_smile: and I just wanna see the characters I like doing cool things! Haha

6 Likes

Got to read TOTA #1 last night, still need to read Nubia. Planning to read all that this weekend after work. Right now I am kinda waiting to see what else happens because right now I am feeling like the narrative is a bit predictable. Though at least they didn’t act like Cassie and Donna don’t belong to the Wonder family in this so far. :person_shrugging: Will provide more thoughts after reading Nubia.

8 Likes

I definitely like that Cassie seems to be the one that is going to investigate Hippolyta’s murder. I feel like of the Wonder Girls, she’s the best fit for it.

4 Likes

No spoilers, but from one WG (regardless of who’s holding the mantle at a given moment) fan to another, you just might like the last few issues of the recent (and sadly, cancelled) Wonder Girl series when it comes to those two.

6 Likes

So far, Trial of the Amazons is so very good!

It’s probably not at all a surprise, but my favorite moment from TOTA #1 was absolutely when Wonder Girl and the Esquecidas made their entrance:

“Let me introduce you to the Esquecidas!”

To borrow from @DC89, “That’s my gurrrrl!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

sighs happily

Yara Flor is just perfect. I wonder if she likes nerds…:thinking:

Looking forward to Wonder Woman #785 tomorrow, with my four eyes locked on the spiffy International Women’s Day variant:

Here’s the Paulina Ganucheau variant for Wonder Woman #785, for interested parties:

Nubia #6 was solid, too. Prior to it, I had only read the first issue of the mag, but I was able to get the gist of what had come before and flow through the book, easy-peasy.

My fav moment of this issue was when Philippus bid farewell to Hippolyta. That one tugged on the 'ol heart, for sure.

7 Likes

The next part of Trial of the Amazons, Wonder Woman #785, releases today! If you’ve read it, feel free to share your (spoiler-blurred) thoughts!

I haven’t even read it yet but this cover art is devastating to me. :cry: :broken_heart:

6 Likes

WW #785 was a decent continuation of the event, mostly focusing on Diana’s grief over the events of the past issues, which was definitely needed. I do hope the next few issues starts pushing the actual, y’know, trial/contest forward, because I think any more introspective stuff might start to feel like just spinning the wheels.

This issue does make me wonder just what the dynamic between Diana and Nubia will be moving forward, because before with Hippolyta, there was a stronger deference with Diana because she is Diana’s mother, but now that it’s a peer I don’t know if there will be more or less contention between the two moving forward.

6 Likes

This latest issue was kind of a tough read for me personally. I love Diana as much as it is possible to love a fictional character, and this isn’t an experience I wanted for her. Having said that, I found her behavior very well-written. The anger, the desire to act that grief brings…that definitely felt real. Nubia’s comment, “In death, little is ideal,” was simultaneously truthful and exactly the kind of comment that would have made me want to punch someone in the face if they told me that right after my parent died.

Her body language here just killed me. Thank goodness she got that hug from Cassie shortly after. :pensive:

And then of course, because she’s Diana, she does what’s best for everybody. :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

Alright. Looking forward to the next one. I presume the action will be ramping up from now on.

6 Likes

Just gonna park this shiny new Q&A right here… :00_wonder_woman_gold: :purple_heart:

You should all come check it out! :tada:
giphy

8 Likes

pencils the Q&A into his schedule

I should plead and beg politely inquire as to what, where and when Yara’s adventures will be, post-TOTA. :nerd_face:

would have used a smiling YF emoji, but we don’t yet have YF emojis, sadly

#WeneedYFemojis

6 Likes

Really loving this story arc so far!!

7 Likes