TPB or Hard covers?

Between the 2 which do you prefer, I prefer TPB since they’re cheaper and lighter, but I heard that hard covers last longer.

6 Likes

Hardcover cause it protects the pages better. Also, I used to order comics on Amazon and sometime the TPB covers would come badly bent or with other signs of visible damage despite me ordering new condition.

4 Likes

Probably 75% of my TBP on Amazon are always shipped in an envelope and bent to heck. Hard Cover is just as much of a gamble. If I want a book to last, I’ve found myself heading into my LCS or Book store and picking up the copy I’ll cherish. If I’m in it for a quick read to pass around once or twice, Amazon it is.

4 Likes

All kinda dependent on the story/title for me. I got a ton of marvel easentials, dc showcase trades that reprint 20+ issues at a shot, but for,say, Kirby’s Fourth World I went with the sturdy( and heavy) omnibus. Or if i find some rando mini tpb mini at a Halfprice bookstore that looks cool I’ll pick it up, but if its a choice between a tpb or hc of Miller’s Born Again, its hc all the way.

3 Likes

Hmm, I can see that

2 Likes

So it just depends on the series for you

2 Likes

TBP: cheaper, lighter, and slightly smaller so I can cram more on my bookshelves

3 Likes

I read digital and buy hardcovers for the collection of Superman stuff.

4 Likes

I read most of them digital and if I REALLY like an arc I’ll buy it hardcover, because I’ll make all my friends read it and well its more durable

3 Likes

TPB are usually more pleasant to read. I love my Omnibus editions but have yet to find a comfortable place/way to read them.

HC also seem to be more inconsistently sized as height goes, which is aesthetically displeasing.

3 Likes

Hardcovers all the way, protects pages and usually has some great art on it

2 Likes

Hmmm…tough call. Growing up, I preferred TPB’s because, honestly, the few hardcovers that were around (DC Archive Editions) were expensive. That, and tpbs were easier to ask for around my birthday and Christmas.

As I’ve gotten older, I do find hardcovers protect the pages better, but I always thought hardcovers should be for special stories or collected runs (I.E. Kingdom Come or the Starman Omnibus editions) I remember in the early 2000’s, you’d see hardcovers for four issue stories that were just four issue stories…and they’d cost anywhere from twenty-five to thirty bucks!

So I guess tpb’s for casual reading and hardcovers for prestigious or all-time favorite stories.

There’s a middle ground in custom comic bindings, but that’s a different topic unto itself.

3 Likes

I’d go w/ hardcovers since they have better protection and I generally like the look of them more, but I also don’t love the dust jackets. Hardcovers w/out those are the real MVPs

2 Likes

While hard cover last longer for those that don’t necessarily take specific care of their comics, I prefer TPB just because it feels like a comic - paper. It’s definitely a plus that it’s cheaper though. But prefer hard covers for novels if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Have the exact thoughts, but at the same time Hard covers last longer and I do plan on keeping my collecting for a long time.

1 Like

Same here, I let my friends borrow a my comics.

2 Likes

Thats why I don’t like omnibus, I remember in high school I read an omnibus comic(forgot what comic) and I broke the spine. After that I rather not mess with omnibus anymore.

I did not know that.

3 Likes

I noticed a lot of hard covers have bonus art and some interesting facts. Those are always neat.

1 Like

I like your style

2 Likes

And they look better on a shelf, me either. Do you read the book with the jacket? Are you suppose to take them off? I don’t like them either. Wish we could rid of them but they’re there.

2 Likes